Style.com's Top Ten Collections

xPedro

Reaction score
Balenciaga
Another master class in extreme cutting and exaggerated silhouettes—pronounced shoulders, tiny waists, abbreviated hems—from Nicolas Ghesquière, this time in lush, gorgeous florals. Wearable? Yes, for the brave. Others have only to wait a season or two until the designer's ideas trickle down, as they inevitably do.

Dolce & Gabbana

After last season's S&M romp, Dolce & Gabbana worked out the kinks, whipping up frothy, fifties-style tulle dresses hand-painted with abstract flowers. A fresh, sweet, and utterly covetable collection from the longtime practitioners of in-your-face sex appeal.

Dries Van Noten

Dries Van Noten pushed his arty aesthetic a step further, layering as many as five different prints, mostly florals, onto one dress, jacket, or of-the-moment pajama pant. It made for a vibrant, Technicolor lineup, and one of his most accomplished collections ever.

Lanvin

In a season in which wearability often came second to fantasy or fetishism, Alber Elbaz turned out one light, easy, billowy reimagined goddess dress after another, and in polyester, no less. The tuxedos weren't too shabby, either. These were real-life clothes made really chic.

Marc Jacobs

Transparency, boudoir dressing, surrealism, footballers' wives—Marc Jacobs used those tropes and more in a collection that for all its kooky eclecticism was essentially about sex. And like his subject matter, it got everyone talking.

Marios Schwab

This on-the-rise London designer turned out a collection that united two of the season's top trends: watercolor florals and sculptural silhouettes. But it takes a unique mind to dream up those viscerally beautiful body-heat-generated prints.

Narciso Rodriguez

With a multimillion-dollar cash influx from Liz Claiborne at his disposal, Narciso Rodriguez was back on his game, infusing his precision seaming and exacting cuts with a fresh sportiness on the one hand—think "ninja" jackets—and a new sense of luxury on the other. Top marks for the violet finale dress scattered with caviar beading.

Prada

Miuccia Prada's collection of fairy-dusted pajama sets was one part Art Nouveau, another part seventies-era Ossie Clark and Biba, and an utter surprise after last season's strange treatise on the natural/man-made divide. But, then, that's what makes hers such an important, influential voice.

Ralph Lauren

Followed by a grand fête in Central Park's Conservatory Garden, Ralph Lauren's 40th anniversary collection touched upon many of his famous signatures without ever feeling like a rehash. It was full of bold colors, timely floral prints, and red-carpet numbers galore for his A-list fans.

Rodarte

With their reputation for breathtakingly romantic and exquisitely rendered evening dresses well established, Kate and Laura Mulleavy have started venturing into new territory. Their cobwebby sweaters and Coco-esque suits looked new, yet never strayed too far from their imaginative, utterly original aesthetic.

Style.com

Out of that list, only Dries is in my top10 :ninja:

Thanks for posting :flower:

Predictable much?

Although I do commend them on including Marios.

I haven't memorized all of Style's lists, but Balenciaga always seems to make the cut. Yes?

Omg this collection is so bullsh*t. Balenciaga and Lanvin are the only ones I liked out of that list. Prada and Marc Jacobs are AGAIN on the list. Vogue is such a suck up to these designers. I hate this.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were way more designers that should have been on there.....John Galliano!!! Alexander McQueen, Givenchy, Versace, Valentino. DSquared (lol kidding)

Marc Javobs was crap...I don't get why this collection is on this list. If you wanna suck up because of the ad money, then put LV on the list. It sucked just as much.

Most of them are obvious choices, some of them I actually agree with. Dolce, Lanvin, Rodarte and Prada were all on my list of faves. Balenciaga is a given as is MJ, Ralph Lauren had nothing to do with the clothes and everything to do with the anniversary, Narciso bored the hell out of me.

I'm a little surprised Nina Ricci or Jil Sander didn't make it and a lot suprised Galliano didn't.

Am I the only one who loved Balenciaga's collection this season?
ninja.gif

^ Nope, I loved it too. I think it deserves to be on the list. It always does.

WOW
she actually managed to get someone decent into her list
MARIOS SCHWAB

:rolleyes:
(i cannot stand her and her silly lists..her accessories list is even worse!! sorry for the rant :flower:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only two collections that I think that souldn't be there are Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana's collections, Ralph Lauren was boring, boring, boring and Dolce & Gabbana had nothing special.

i would have picked vuitton and not marc...
and i agree with spike on ralph lauren...the clothes were typical ralph...

has style.com ever not had Marc, Lanvin, Prada, or Balenciaga on the list? I feel like these brands get a default add just for existing, even though the Prada collection blew.

i would have loved to see Jil Sander on the list, it was the biggest surprise of the season. I am pleasantly surprised about Dolce being on the list, i thought the collection was one of their best in years.

also, i was sure they were going to give Valentino a token space just because it was his last rtw

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->