Style.com: Top Ten Collections of the Decade

before

Reaction score
I don't think there's a thread on this. Some of the collections are iffy but some should undoubtedly be on the list. I'm surprised no YSL showed up.

Hussein Chalayan, Fall 2000
Chalayan's career is long on technological feats. Behold the jacket made from Tyvek that Björk wore on the cover of her 1995 album Post, or the Spring 2007 dresses that, with an assist from the team who worked on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, morphed eras before our eyes. But the collection that cemented the Turkish Cypriot Londoner as fashion's wizard of the avant-garde was Fall 2000. He was just 29 when he created a wooden coffee table that converted into a skirt, a set of chairs that turned into suitcases, and accompanying chair covers that became shift dresses. At the end of the show, the models walked off the stage with their living room on their backs. Did spectacle trump practicality? Oh, yes—gloriously, unforgettably so.
09m.jpg

Marc Jacobs, Spring 2002 Jacobs' upbeat, giddily colorful Spring 2002 collection was a hit with editors—we have a vivid memory of lusting after Erin Wasson's clingy sweater and pumpkin-colored flares—but the setting made the moment. Annexing a pier off the as-yet-unrehabbed Meatpacking District, team Jacobs staged the catwalk under a clear plastic tent, the solid back wall of which opened post-show to reveal a party space aglow with paper lanterns and the star power of guests like Sarah Jessica Parker, Hilary Swank, and Gretchen Mol. Beyond that, a fire boat sprayed jets of water into the Hudson. The designer set the bar that night: Afterward, elaborate sets would become de rigueur for him, and we all know about his after-parties. Indeed, revelers celebrated into the wee hours of September 11. And then they woke up to a different world. The evening was one of Jacobs'—and New York fashion's—all-time highs, and it happened the night before we lost our innocence.
02m.jpg

Lanvin, Fall 2002 Easy glamour. It's not an oxymoron in the hands of Alber Elbaz, as his inaugural collection for Lanvin proved. Still, the path to reach that point had hardly been straightforward: He arrived at the French brand not long after his stint at Yves Saint Laurent was abbreviated by the entrance of Tom Ford, with a brief stopover at Krizia in between. Perhaps that's why the Moroccan-born Israeli designer wasted not a moment establishing his signatures. The raw edges, the irregular cascades of sequins and black silk ribbon, the twisted and pleated chiffon, the quirky bits of fur—all of the witty, feminine embellishments that made the house vital again were there. But Elbaz also showed he could cut mannish overcoats and pantsuits—talk about a strong foundation. What's more, look closely and you'll see indications of the accessories powerhouse Lanvin would become. On the models' feet? Early versions of Elbaz's collectible ballerina flats.
07m.jpg

Gucci, Fall 2004It doesn't get more glam than Tom Ford's Gucci swan song. The emotional look back at a decade's worth of blockbusters—all paraded out on a plush pink fur carpet—ended with a shower of flower petals, thunderous applause, and tears aplenty. The spotlight-loving designer, who was leaving after prolonged contract negotiations had failed, had turbo-charged the storied but moribund Italian company by designing for a new kind of woman—one who was "burnished to a high gloss and bursting with predatory power" (or so we described her back then). The moment affirmed that high fashion had achieved a cultural and commercial clout to rival Hollywood's, along with the inevitable spats between stars and studios (cue the high-profile mid-decade departures of Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, and Hedi Slimane). Ford, meanwhile, walked away with Gucci stock options reportedly worth $250 million, and he has gone on to put his own name to cosmetics, sunglasses, men's tailoring, a much anticipated forthcoming women's collection, and—perhaps least surprisingly—a movie.
01m.jpg

Maison Martin Margiela, Spring 2007 Martin Margiela's Spring 2007 show wasn't high concept in the manner of his furniture collection of the previous season, and it wasn't a big models-on-trolleys production circa Spring 2006. As we put it in our review, "it seemed focused on lifting Margiela out of the marginal." That doesn't mean that the reclusive Belgian designer played it safe, however. On the contrary, the collection's linebacker padded shoulders—which we called a "distraction" at the time—proved to be game changers. You can trace the bolder shoulders that have turned up everywhere to Margiela; put simply, he reinvented the dominant silhouette in a single outing. Now that he's retired—Spring 2009 was unofficially his last effort for his namesake brand—the job of driving fashion onward is left to the likes of Balenciaga's forward-thinking Nicolas Ghesquière.
08m.jpg

style.com

continued...

Balenciaga, Fall 2007
Nicolas Ghesquière is one of the twenty-first century's most revered designers—not to mention one of its most copied. It hasn't hurt that he's had Cristobal Balenciaga's extensive archives at his fingertips since taking the creative director reins at the label in 1997, but Ghesquière has also made his name by projecting fashion fearlessly into the sci-fi future—articulated gold-plated leggings, anyone? For our money, though, the designer's most powerful and influential show was Fall 2007's multiculti collection, the inspiration for which came directly from the real world, a.k.a. the streets. And its impact is still being felt now. Look around: Ghesquière's trim, sharp-shouldered blazers are direct antecedents of today's boyfriend jackets. The khaki and olive drab jodhpurs? Not so different from this year's must-have cargos. And don't forget the show's eye-poppingly bright LEGO shoes and the instant knockoffs and subsequent lawsuit they spawned. Where were Senator Chuck Schumer and his Innovative Design Protection and Piracy Prevention Act when Ghesquière needed them?
05mn.jpg

Balmain, Spring 2009
For the po-faced, it's all too much: too brazen, too sexy, too expensive. But there's no denying Christophe Decarnin changed Balmain's image overnight when he relaunched the French house for Fall 2006—gone were the elegant if matronly knee-length suits of the Oscar de la Renta era, and in their place were hardware-strewn, upper-thigh-exposing disco dresses. Still, the world at large only really developed a case of Balmainia at the Spring 2009 show. Credit for that goes to the collection's first look: a bandleader jacket with diamanté detailing and "tennis ball shoulders" that had Beyoncé and Rihanna, not to mention a who's who of fashion's top editors, clamoring to wear the style. That jacket and the show's other big hit, a black one-shoulder, crystal-smothered dress with a ragged, hip-skimming hem, ushered in a hot and sexy moment that's still reverberating.
06m.jpg

Alexander McQueen, Spring 2010
The outlandish shoes, alternately compared to armadillos, lobster claws, and "armored heads of a fantastical breed of antediluvian sea monster" (that last one was us), showed that the designer had lost none of his talent to provoke. But the real breakthrough of Alexander McQueen's Plato's Atlantis production was his embrace of digital technology. During his career, he had staged shows that were more startling or moving but few that were as prescient. Had Lady Gaga not tweeted to her one million fans that McQueen would be premiering her new single on the soundtrack, Nick Knight's SHOWstudio.com wouldn't have crashed and the collection would've been broadcast live in its entirety. A season later, designers across the fashion spectrum signed up for live streaming, but no one has come close to the spectacle of what was to be McQueen's last complete show—certainly no one else has installed a pair of gigantic cameras on roving booms to catch the runway action and the audience reaction, and played both back to us while we sat there. The future is now, McQueen seemed to be saying, and it's deeply sad that he's no longer here to forge on ahead of us.
03mg.jpg

Celine, Spring 2010
After her three-year hiatus from the fashion world, Phoebe Philo's Celine runway debut was the most awaited show of the Spring 2010 season. Fans from her Chloé days were looking for something big, and the designer exceeded every overinflated expectation by playing it cool with simple leather T-shirts and high-waist, wide-leg pants; a streamlined palette of white, black, and camel; and a sporty, utilitarian sensibility. "I just thought I'd clean it up," she told Style.com with the same understatement she'd put into the clothes. It didn't take long for her fellow designers to follow suit. The Fall 2010 collections were awash in camel coats and small, square shoulder bags that owed their existence to Philo's pared-down Classic box bag for Celine. Not that we should have been surprised. The girl has a track record: It was Philo's Spring 2006 Chloé show that turned the whole world on to baby-doll dresses and platform sandals, remember?
04m.jpg

Prada, Fall 2010
How to pick just one Miuccia Prada show? She has, after all, been a fashion leader since her first black nylon handbag hit the shelves in 1985. Well, it wasn't easy, but we're going with Fall 2010. First, because the collection was a real-world refresh of some of her nineties greatest hits, complete with riffs on her signature knits and rethinks of those familiar nerdy-chic prints; second, because she shifted our collective eye from the legs to the bust, with the help of some voluptuous (at least by comparison) models like Doutzen Kroes, Catherine McNeil, and Alessandra Ambrosio; and lastly, because, well, it was her most recent outing—the latest statement in an ongoing conversation. For better or worse, fashion in the past decade has been defined by an insatiable desire for "the new," and Miuccia Prada—almost alone among her peers—has the ability to reset the agenda each season without merely catering to trends.
10mr.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Lanvin fall 2008 and YSL fall 2008 also good enough to get on the list
but I'm happy with this result, especially McQueen & Hussein.

I feel so sorry for being too young to 'trace' collections in the beginning of the decade. I know that I can watch some photos and videos now, but it's not the same feeling.

as i was reading i began to get anxious that there was gonna be no McQueen inclusion, I think it's deserved more than any of the others, but then I;m a little biased! Unfortunate circumstances excused, i must say i think im a little more drawn to the Fall 2008 collection, i think the drama, intricacy, and the praise it recieved make it worthy of the list, then again it didnt have the shoes!
Is it just me that doesn't think the Prada collection belongs in the list? surely it's too soon to say that it's one of the best, there has hardly been time for any sort of aftermath showing its worth. I may be letting my personal taste get in the way a little.

Balmain!??! For serious?

And if you are going to include Prada.. there were much more memorable collections than last season.. but then again thats just my opinion (obviously..)

Balenciaga Fall 2007 is my all time favorite collection. Ever. I am glad Style.com agreed, although to be fair it couldn't have even been up for debate.

I don't quite understand why there are four collections from the end of the decade. If it was really about selecting collections that represented the 2000s there should have been at least 2 from 2004-2006 seasons. I also think given how dramatically Phoebe Philo's work at Chloe influenced the boho-chic trend during the middle of the decade at least one of those collections should have been included.

no fall 2006? :o to me that was one of the best season of the decade.

Did they seriously just admit that they included Marc Jacobs because the backstage was revealed to be a party room and the show had stars in attendance?

And then Balmain? PRADA Fall 2010 of all seasons?

Also, don't think that McQueen collection is the right pick. Fall 2006 was his best collection imo.

Did they seriously just admit that they included Marc Jacobs because the backstage was revealed to be a party room and the show had stars in attendance?

And then Balmain? PRADA Fall 2010 of all seasons?

Also, don't think that McQueen collection is the right pick. Fall 2006 was his best collection imo.

I agree - the whole evaluation process seemed to be off. Clearly the list doesn't appear to be edited for design influence. No one wears dresses that turn into chairs, and there were several Prada shows I liked better than Fall 2010, including Fall 2005 and Spring 2008.

Prada fall 2010? You're kidding me right? That's definitely not Miuccia's best.

LOL, worst list ever. The Gucci collection is the ONLY one that actually deserves to be there. Marc Jacobs has done nothing original in his life therfore he should be nowhere near this list. Same thing goes for Balmain.
The rest of the designers are definitely worthy but probably not those collections.

I'd take out Marc Jacobs, Balmain and Celine and put in Christian Dior, Givenchy and Versace.

Balenciaga Fall 2007? Really? What about Fall 03,04 and 08?

everyone here knows i love my balmain, but it shouldn't be on the list before balenciaga, chanel, or even pilati's first ysl collection. seriously, i can point to collections from this decade that changed the way most women -- and dare i say it, men -- dress today.

100053506.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this list is accurate at all.

Firstly, the fact that McQueen Spring/Summer 2010 is on the list makes me furious beyond belief. It is so insulting to his talent and to his vision that this collection is considered his best. It's giving Lady Gaga too much credit. Lee's greatest work was far more sensitive, cerebral, poetic, tortured and painfully beautiful than "Plato's Atlantis" ever was or will be. What about "Widow's of Culloden," "Deliverance," "Voss," or "Sarabande?" Sure "Plato's Atlantis" caused an social uproar and every fashion victim was obsessed with the armadillo shoes, but the hype was all Gaga, not McQueen.

Other snafus include Lanvin Fall/Winter 2002. I believe Lanvin Spring/Summer 2008 should have replaced that season. Of course Alber's work has always been impeccable at the house, but I have such a strong recollection of Spring/Summer 2008 being his breakout season...and from that moment on, Lanvin was THE show to watch.

Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2002? I don't think so...I would have given it to Fall/Winter 2006. It sort of defined that entire year, and I still feel like it has an impact today...girls still love their chunky knit scarves, their neutral layers, their grungy hair. And even aside from the cultural impact, it was, in my opinion his most beautiful and most poignant show to date. Not only that but it sort of was one of his first big production shows. Spring/Summer 2006 was the beginnings of his large event style shows, but Fall/Winter 2006 felt like the starting of something new at the house of Marc Jacobs.

Also...I don't feel like the Margiela show is relevant. I mean, Margiela is a prolific, legendary designer, and he's done so much for fashion, but I just don't see why Spring/Summer 2007 in particular has any right being on this list...I don't see how it impacted fashion in any way, how it impacted society in any way...I'm not seeing it.

Also, not quite sure about Prada Fall/Winter 2010. I would definitely agree with the fact that Prada deserves a place on this list, but I just am not sure that Fall/Winter 2010 is the right one. Maybe Fall/Winter 2006? Maybe Fall/Winter 2007?

And I certainly agree with Gucci Fall/Winter 2004 for many reasons...as a moment, an event, a landmark, it certainly deserves a place here...it's just I love Fall/Winter 2003 so much, I can't help but wish that the 2003 collection and the 2004 collection could share a spot on the list!

But Balmain? Balmain? Balmain. Really?

I don't think this list is accurate at all.

Other snafus include Lanvin Fall/Winter 2002. I believe Lanvin Spring/Summer 2008 should have replaced that season. Of course Alber's work has always been impeccable at the house, but I have such a strong recollection of Spring/Summer 2008 being his breakout season...and from that moment on, Lanvin was THE show to watch.

agreed. that collection was utterly iconic and EVERYONE started wearing Lanvin.

i also would have loved that YSL collection from Tom Ford to be included, early 00's, with those jackets with the pagoda shoulders and the slinky cocktail dresses underneath, everything looking sumptuous and rich. those jewel tones... you still can't go wrong with that look when you wanna go for 'EXPENSIVE'.

Dior's S/S 06, all that nude. everyone is doing nude now, but it was so refreshing back then. especially from Galliano, it was an entirely fresh breath of air, nice change of pace. we know now that it didn't last. that was Galliano treading in safe territory but without making it look boring or pageant-y or overly cute-sy. i also loved the lack of tranny makeup on the models.

I don't agree with Gucci FW 2004 ... it should have been FW 2003 ! That was the collection of the decade.

Terrible list as usual :lol:
I agree with Mcqueen(mostly because it was his LAST collection,but probably it's not even worthy being there) and Balmain(it was such a BREAKTHROUGH collection,everyone started wearing Balmain and watching Decarnin's work) and also Gucci(I mean Tom Ford LAST show again :lol: )
The rest of the list is just about Anna's favorites of fashion minimalism and favorite designers,like Marc Jacobs,Prada and Celine,which are CLEARLY not the best collections of the decade

Balmain serious ???? Marc Jacobs serious ???
McQueen and Chalayan for sure and great seasons choice....
I dont think the celine one is one of the top ten...but I'm sure it's one of the most expectance collection. and Balenciaga, I would say the S/S 07 is one of his best collection...I mean balenciaga and McQueen have so much to choose, it's really hard to chose one of them......

This list either has the wrong designers or the right designers but the wrong collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ00
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->