Style.com: Top Ten Collections of the Decade

totally not happy with the list.
there are definitely more iconic collections mentioned in the thread from mcqueen, lanvin, prada and marc jacobs.
when i think of marc jacobs and 2000s, i definitely think of the grunge collection from 2006. one of his best. and just because mcqueen spring 2010 was his last complete show, it doesnt justify it being his best in the past 10 years.
i do think balmain deserves to be on this list. love it or hate it, balmain dramatically changed how women and girls around the world dress in a short period of time.
and the fall 2007 balenciaga show was very iconic to me, or even the spring 2007 show. so i liked that pick.

Did anyone complaining about the inclusion of that particular Marc Jacobs collection actually pay attention to the reasoning? It's not because that was his best collection, and it's not because that was the best collection that season. It was a happy, optimistic collection that happened to be shown and celebrated a mere 12 hours before tragedy struck. Fashion changed drastically after that, people stopped buying like they once did and making money became even more of a priority than it had been. If the fact that that show was the last moment of true frivolity in fashion for a while to come doesn't warrant it's inclusion I don't know what would.

This isn't a list of "bests" or "favorites", it's a list of shows that have been significant in some way. There have been plenty more in the last ten years, but as a summary this does a pretty good job of letting you know what happened in the first decade of the 00s. It's a pretty comprehensive list, even if the collections aren't all my personal favorites. Either they were significant to contemporary fashion history (Marc Jacobs S/S 02, Gucci F/W 04 or Alexander McQueen S/S 10) or they directly influenced how people dressed (Margiela S/S 07, Balenciaga F/W 07 and Balmain S/S 09).

Last edited by a moderator:
^you don't think chanel or ysl influenced the way people dressed in the noughties? that tulip skirt launched ten thousand imitations. also, the baleciaga bag remains an iconic part of the early naughties "it bag" phenomenon. and chanel? seriously, would we even have a resort or pre-fall without chanel?

^ Oh absolutely, but they cut it off at ten collections and these were apparently the 10 they felt provided the best overview of the decade. Add YSL F/W 2001 to the list of things that could easily have been on this list.

Besides, in the feature they had a whole section devoted to Karl, and a section devoted to "It" accessories as well. Guess which one was the first to be listed?

I honestly, did not expect Balmain to be one of the ten.

Good choice for number one, Hussein :smile:

I thought this list was ridiculous when I saw it on style.
For one thing, there is no Dior!
Another: The last three collections are from this year. And that Prada collection? Really? Would anyone have put that collection in their top ten?
Though I liked Balenciaga F/W 07 a lot, and I think it affects fashion on every level still to this day, I thought S/S 08, or even S/S 07 were somewhat more influential, or if not, a lot more memorable.
And definately agree about the Lanvin S/S 08.
Not very good choices IMO.

YSL Rive Gauche F/W 03.04 by Tom Ford should have been on the list..the whole collection influences me a lot

I'm not a big fan of Balmain, but I definitely think Spring 2009 should be on that list. I mean, Christophe hit the jackpot with that collection. It's a perfect example of the trickle-down effect. Those jackets, heels, jeans were in every major fashion publication month after month, and now you can find those jeans, heels and cartoon versions of that legendary sold-out-in-5-minutes $11,000+ jacket at Target. Those collections are what make fashion fun, some collections should only be desirable for the season. If everything was timeless, there would be no fashion! It's certainly not the "best," but that collection is/will be something to look back on, at least for me.

Galliano's collections for Dior are missing from that list, and instead of putting Prada's F/W 10 I would have put the F/W 03 collection, and Gucci's F/W 03 collection was so much better than the F/W 04 collection...
The thing is that the list should be of the top 50 collections of the decade, not just 10 collections.

Oh .. NOW I get it .. its not BEST collections of the decade ... its more historical-significance oriented .. how the collections changed the fashion world, fashion history ....

If THATS the case I get why the MJ and Balmain ... Prada doesnt make sense at all, tho .. that was a very random season to pick ... and McQueen even though its appreciated for being his last collection, I believe SS 03 its WAY more significant (his first season where he broke his 4 colours palette and gave us ... THE SKULL SCARF!!!)

What I find absolutely inadmissible is that there is no Dior ... I spit on you, Vogue!

i'm still baffled by both hussein chalayan and martin margiela over some better known labels like dolce and gabbana or chanel or michael kors or versace. i know it's kind of an impossible task, but seriously, one can trace some of the most ubiquitous street wear from the early 2000s back to these houses. does no one remember how many girls did the low rise bootcut distressed situation back then?

100028628.jpg

style.com

Um did someone fall and smack their heads on the pavement?? Have people forgotten the BRILLIANT collection of Dolce and Gabbana Fall Winter 2007??? If that wasn't one of the very ebst collections of the decade then i don't know what was...well with the exception of few others such as McQueen

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->