Terry Richardson - Photographer

model_mom said:
I just think it's best not to bash someone who is a key figure in the fashion industry at the moment. Especially on a public forum.:innocent:

Why not? I see no reason to encourage scaremongering on a (more or less) anonymous forum.

metal-on-metal said:
Why not? I see no reason to encourage scaremongering on a (more or less) anonymous forum.
But even if he is bashed, im just curious what kind of devastating consequences can that bring ? :unsure:

I don't like his work one iota, and find discussions on him very similar to those on Rankin i.e. love/hate.

model_mom said:
How about, " You don't bite the hand that feeds you?"

actually...i have to disagree a bit there mm...
the fact that people like terry richardson are shooting means i may actually work LESS...because i am certainly not going to work with a defective insecure misogynist pig like him...or any of the other copycat photogroahers out there...

so his popularity is actually detrimental to my career...and he can't sink fast enough to suit me...personally...and professionally...
lots of people in the industry actually feel this way...
:wink: :flower:

Softgrey, You are an adult and a successful stylist. Therefore you are able to pick and choose with whom you would like to work. When you are a young model and your agent tells you they have booked a job for you with a certain photographer and they are going to pay you xx,xxx dollars to do the job, you don't say" No thank you. I've heard bad things about him." You do the job and you learn that it's ok to say no to certain things, but you also learn if you want to work again,not to bash the client or photographer. Word gets around and they label you difficult to work with and soon you don't work at all.

model_mom said:
Softgrey, You are an adult and a successful stylist. Therefore you are able to pick and choose with whom you would like to work. When you are a young model and your agent tells you they have booked a job for you with a certain photographer and they are going to pay you xx,xxx dollars to do the job, you don't say" No thank you. I've heard bad things about him." You do the job and you learn that it's ok to say no to certain things, but you also learn if you want to work again,not to bash the client or photographer. Word gets around and they label you difficult to work with and soon you don't work at all.
So true.

And especially in this industry, where there is a ton of gossip going on all the time. Your first lesson is: Be nice to everyone, and don't bad talk anyone, it gets around.

model_mom said:
Thanks, you sound like you've been there.:flower:
You know it. It's kind of depressing because it makes a lot of the facets of it shallow, and I'm not the kind of person who would give up my values just to make money.

Good luck with your daughter!

model_mom said:

That's very true. And if you're concerned for your daughter's success in the industry, I agree that it's important watch whom you bash. However, I think it's fairly safe to say that Terry and other industry luminaries don't read these boards. So let's keep it comin'! :woot:

sosweet said:
You know it. It's kind of depressing because it makes a lot of the facets of it shallow, and I'm not the kind of person who would give up my values just to make money.

Good luck with your daughter!
I hope you stay that way. Good luck to you too.:heart:

personally, i don't luv the p*rno stuff, but ya kno, if TR didn't do it, someone else would...so yeh...

my prime issue with his photography is that, i'm a media student, his work is nothing i couldn't pull off to be honest...and i rekon anyone could, study photograhy for a year and u can master his "style"...so i spose i luv a bit of his work (the non-p*rno stuff), but i don't value him as a photographer...

i jus wanna post this gorgeous picture of maggie gylennhaal which scareily looks like one of my photographs in my portfolio...

Maggie%20G%20B&W.jpg

Amélie said:
personally, i don't luv the p*rno stuff, but ya kno, if TR didn't do it, someone else would...so yeh...
Well with that logic you can justify anything. If Hitler wouldn't have set up concentration camps, someone else would have. If George W. Bush didn't wage an unjust war, someone else would have. Sorry but that's a little faulty. If Terry didn't exist there'd be more room for talented photographers that currently receive a fraction of the recognition he does.

my prime issue with his photography is that, i'm a media student, his work is nothing i couldn't pull off to be honest...and i rekon anyone could, study photograhy for a year and u can master his "style"
You're right. And I think Terry has responded to that criticism a number of times by saying that that is precisely his point. ANYONE could do it. And he claims that that is why his work is special. :innocent: Funny, eh? :rolleyes:

this guys is definitely a shady character in the fashion world but in a round about way we're all responsible for this type of character because we subscribe to the institutions that keep him employed and hyped. i for one cannot deny that i found some of his editorial work and advertising campaigns quite striking and therefore i must overlook, in a particular way, the other stuff he does to sort of develop his eye. yes, a lot of his work is beyond obvious and probably p*rn, but the powers at be keep hiring him for new jobs because he can shoot a clean nudity free campaign for harpers bazaar and still capture that sweaty raunch we see in his other pictures.

Amélie said:
i find this logic flawed...ihave no reason to believe anyone else would..
as a matter of fact...if you know about him...it seems like his own very personal way of dealing with his demons...and very particular to and about only himself...

mm...i'm sorry ...but i would sacrifice my success...but never my morals or my values...i do not work with people i do not respect just in order to make xxxx ammount of dollars...

money isn't the most important thing in the world...and success is a relative term... :flower:

To me, he is glorified 'Readers' Wives'

Softgrey, I couldn't agree more....I would never, ever sacrifice my morals and beliefs for the $$$.

As an adult, I no longer feel the need to pretend to like people and to belittle myself in the presence of such "personalities". I don't need to suck up to these types to make me a 'somebody', but the bookers of many New Faces think these kids should be shooting with guys like this to further their careers.

To me, fashion should be fantasy...not seedier than everyday life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"