Terry Richardson - Photographer

I took a look at that Web site, and I would most definitely be embarassed if someone walked in and saw what I was looking at because I would assume they would think it was p*rn. Some of his stuff is nice, but for the most part, it's uninteresting and gross.

I am so proud of everyone who is saving their morals and beliefs and their values instead of trading them in for the almighty dollar. But if your 16 years old and your ***hole deep in debt to your agency and you have a chance to pay it off and finally come out with a few dollars left, you take a chance. Lo and behold and praise the lord she came out of her job with her morals,beliefs and values intact, and lived happily ever after.

I've found this topic really interesting to read, some valid viewpoints for and against Terry's work.

I actually received negative karma from someone because of my input in this topic, which is odd because my opinion, or my intention, was to be neutral. How bizarre. :blink:

saturnine said:
I actually received negative karma from someone because of my input in this topic, which is odd because my opinion, or my intention, was to be neutral. How bizarre. :blink:

I thought we couldn't give negative karma anymore? :unsure: I know I can't.

there's a rawness in his photography that does push boundries and limits that is disturbing. that's why i enjoy his photography.

model_mom said:
We cant, no one can.:unsure:
The system seems a bit messed up. I've recieved karma for threads where I've only posted a few words.

PrinceOfCats said:
The system seems a bit messed up. I've recieved karma for threads where I've only posted a few words.
In order to keep this " On topic" please post any problems in the member's help topic.PS(maybe you have an admirer?)

mikeijames said:
we subscribe to the institutions that keep him employed.
Carolina Herrera, Jersey Girl
The designer shoots spring ads in the Garden State with Terry Richardson.

NEW YORK: Tuesday, January 04, 2005
r.asp

Carolina Herrera: a Stepford Wife?

Perhaps not, but that didn’t stop the designer from returning to the Garden State — this time to the idyllic suburb of West Orange, NJ — in creating the backdrop for her new spring advertising campaign.

In the campaign, styled by Kate Young and photographed by Terry Richardson using his signature 35mm flash camera—paparazzi style—IMG model Anouck Lepere wears an aqua silk twill “Swimming Ladies” printed halter gown. She is posed in a slightly reclining position on the floor of the old estate’s opulent bathing house that served as the resident’s summer home. That same $2,990 gown, coincidentally enough, is currently featured on Jennifer Lopez on the cover of January Vogue. Accessories are kept to a minimum, with Lepere wearing a pair of red Manolo Blahnik for Carolina Herrera open-toed stilettos.

The inspiration for the campaign came from the textiles and interiors designs from the 1940s, which also inspired the 2005 spring collection. “The whimsical printed ‘Swimming Ladies’ were from the same period in which we tied in the colorful tiles of the bathhouse to reflect that time,” said Ward Simmons, director of communications for Carolina Herrera.

“It was all about chic elegance,” Simmons noted. “And leg—lots of it.” Mrs. Herrera did not show a single pair of pants in her spring collection, a decision that was very much a personal one. “Mrs. Herrera feels very strongly about the showing of a woman’s legs,” Simmons said. Sara Rotman, the founder of MODCo Creative, the agency that worked with Herrera to produce the campaign, said that the shoot itself, which took place in October, was “easy, sexy, and very Terry Richardson.”

“We wanted to capture the feeling of Victorian elegance, of subtle elegance, to recall a more gentile era,” Rotman said. “It was important that we capture that emotional connection to the wearer.”

The ad will debut in March issues of Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, W, and Elle, as well as City magazine and glossy European art magazine, Modern Painters. There are currently no plans to place the ad in any books beyond March.

Rotman noted that the environment of the bathhouse itself was visually complicated, thus forcing Richardson to capture less of the background and focus more on Lepere. As a result, “the model visibly connects with the audience in this picture,” Rotman said. “The image is one that the consumer can relate to; but you still get a lot of attitude from her. She’s not afraid to sit on the floor, and as a result, it creates this amazing combination of high and low.”
from fashionweekdaily.com... just supports what i was saying.

I was actually reading an interview with him in I.D. magazine the other night, and it was seriously funny hearing him try to justify it all... Very crude and pathetic.

MHO:

Objectification through narcissistic and crude photography is not good art - nor does it push any boundries that haven't been pushed before (and in far more artistic forms). If his aim was to challenge our bourjois morals then he has gone about it in a way that has just made himself look like an egotistical fool. It's not that I don't like to see themes of power and abuse in work, but I prefer to see them for the sake of art and in more intelligent and well-thought-out forms.
/2c

Honestly, I don't see that his stuff as art. Fine line between art and p*rn my ***, seeing a male's dna (for lack of a more polite terminology) in a photograph is not art, I repeat is NOT art, it's p*rn. The photos he does take that aren't of graphic sexual situations look like friggin polaroids to me, where's the skill? Where's the technique in that? Sex in fashion and photography is only effective when it is suggested or subverted and he obviously has no talent for inuendo.

Spike413 said:
Honestly, I don't see that his stuff as art. Fine line between art and p*rn my ***, seeing a male's dna (for lack of a more polite terminology) in a photograph is not art, I repeat is NOT art, it's p*rn. The photos he does take that aren't of graphic sexual situations look like friggin polaroids to me, where's the skill? Where's the technique in that? Sex in fashion and photography is only effective when it is suggested or subverted and he obviously has no talent for inuendo.
i agree totally with him his work do look like polaroids hahahahahahaha:innocent:

Terry Richardson - Terry World

Picked this up today, great book, well worth the purchase. Anyone else got it?

I love his work, his photos make me blush, but theres a sense of honesty in them like larry clark, but they also have a lighter comic side.
I saw his work at the Orange County Museum of Art, it was the Beautiful Losers show
Are you familiar with any of the artists involved?

Terry Richardson!!!!????

HI EVERYBODY,
I'm the-new-babe-on-web, I'm from Italy ( so, sorry form my less-than-perfect english:P :blush: ) and I'm looking for everything you know about this amazing "young" boy from fashion photography: TERRY RICHARDSON!!! ( sites, links ads campaign...ya know...). It's important because i'm writing a thesis about him and his work, every kind of help is welcome!!!:D :D
Thanks to everybody!!:heart: :D

pamonthemoon...welcome to tfs :flower:

In the future please use the search function before you post a new thread!
If you scroll down to the very end of the page you'll see that there are numerous threads on/about Terry Richardson.

sisley = good

that anouck ad is very striking Im glad ch used her.

actually as a former critic of some of terry's work Im actually warming to certain ad images of his.
I like the current sisley ads with nic trunfio & val avdeyera. I think those girls are excellent choices & terry's images of them succeed on several levels.

his own personal 'art' work can get too raunchy for me at times but in the constraints of mag-ready ads, I think he is still able to be a little naughtier than many others' camapigns while style being a 'terry' type image & still satisfying the needs of the client & the mags. i think his current sisley ads do all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->