The 4-5 Piece French Wardrobe #10

^ Yes, I know what you mean. When I was younger I had a manager who only wore pants, and would bring a skirt to work to change into before she left for an event after work. I thought this was bizarre (OK, I still think bringing a skirt to work is strange vs. dressing for the whole day and evening), but I do understand now. Pants are definitely more boss, and every little bit helps. But I have known very successful women executives who always wore dresses, and used them as a way to stand out. Whatever works.

hahahaha interesting. I think the idea of female boss for me is more like a lady in (tweed?) dress with pearl earrings and red lipstick. like the one that use her femininity to kinda show how assured she is.

i have no idea where i get that image, but it surely shapes me.

i can see why pantsuit is considered boss too, tho.

At work I feel it's to my advantage to be treated like a person rather than as a woman, so to some extent I dress for that. It's a balancing act ...

Just did a little unplanned shopping on Yoox! Last night I made the mistake of looking at their new arrivals in espadrilles, and really loved these ... they'll be pretty with my ivory skirt. I found the original price ... these are 40% off of retail. Not perhaps a bargain, but not bad ... Also Roger Vivier, and as I mentioned, was super impressed with the quality of my first pair.

yoox

Roger Vivier violet espadrilles.jpg

@floodette: thanks a bunch! how are you liking the bag now that you've started wearing it?

@fashionista-ta:
as someone who just can't knit, I can highly recommend it :wink: I am sooo happy with it! Rust colour broderie anglaise sounds nice.

@Drusilla_ :
welcome! that gold jacket is gorgeous! I know what you mean regarding workwear. I still wear dresses to work but definetely tend to dress differently (especially less colorful) at work than when I am off-duty.

I checked of the first two items on my AW list, which was the most important ones. The rest is just bells and whistles.

- Black western inspired yet somewhat classic boots
- Broderie anglaise high collar shirt (will work well for SS as well)
- (Something moon print - been looking for that for the past two years)
- (Black turtleneck sweater)
- (Light blue/greyish sweater)
- (Stine Goya dress, black with gold dots, second hand).

mango.PNG

Pics via billibi.com and mango.com billibi.jpg

^ Good for you :flower:

I wanted a new cashmere sweater for fall (OK, winter), and I got that back in May when Yoox was having a great sale. I'm waiting to do my review of the year's items until it's actually cold enough to wear it, which probably will be November at least :wink: At this point the things I really need are the black and white tops I requested in my October trunk. I've had both in the past (of course :wink:) and had to discard them, I think some seasons back for each actually. Since I videoconference all the time, I am more concerned with things that look good on camera, which black & white IMO on me really don't. I need these now because I have these new colored jeans and pants and I need basic tops to mix and match with them + fun shoes. I've been wearing the yellow pants with my green alligator and plaid (incl. yellow) espadrilles, which I've been enjoying, but I don't really have a satisfactory top to complete this outfit.

I'm excited to try my new espadrilles with my purple sweater from this year, and (like I mentioned) my ivory skirt from many years ago now. They would probably be best with a mid-purple, will try with my mauve sweater too ... but now I can see something in my mind's eye that I don't actually own :wink: I am picturing my peacock blue sweater, but in the perfect orchid mauve mid-purple for these shoes. You can see how shopping begets more shopping! Perhaps next spring I can find what I have in mind.

If these shoes work, I believe they're #3 for next spring.

I finally got my delivery from TheRealReal, and I LOVE my green Theyskens Theory dress - it's really relaxed-looking thanks to the tshirt neckline, also really comfortable - not something I can often say about a silk dress! Also there was a drapey-looking bit in front that turned out to be like an extra layer and a half of fabric over the back and half of the front of the dress, if the wind blows the right way it looks like a little sideways cape haha. (It's actually a good way of stopping the dress from being too sheer because the fabric is so thin).

The gold jacket has a lovely print and fits me nicely but the colour is a lot less bronzey/gold than the picture made it seem, it's more of a champagne. I'm going to contemplate it another day to see if I can make it work with the rest of my wardrobe or send it back.

@Betinapple - thank you for the welcome! I'm glad so many people here understand what I'm talking about, I feel like it helps me to keep that separation between 'work' and 'not work' for my clothes, or at least the outfits I put together.

Broderie anglaise is a great way to get some texture into an outfit without breaking the bank - I've found it's an easy way to filter for cotton tops (I generally find broderie being done on cotton) or at least natural fabrics.

@fashionista-ta - your new espadrilles are gorgeous! I think they would go really nicely with any bright colour or any pastel, the colour of the buckle looks like an almost mauvey-pink to me and that alone would go with quite the range of shades but the white is a great choice for a lighter neutral shade.

6a00e5508e95a988330163035f0fe2970d-800wi.jpg

^ Glad you're happy with the dress! It's always gratifying to have an online purchase turn out well and the unknowns work out. What did you decide about the jacket?

When I enlarge the pix of the shoes, it looks like there are 4 bead colors ... the mid-purple of the flower ones, a whitish center, mid-pink beads, and then deep green leaf ones. They'd be pretty with a rich green, but I don't have anything that color, and also only have blush pink (a T for summer). But I do have quite a selection of purples! Will see what looks good when they arrive :smile: I ordered a half size up from last time ... the 8.5 do fit me, but I felt they could be a bit roomier, especially in the ankle strap, so this time I tried the 39.

In my closet, there are 3 dominant color families ... corals/rusts/blush, teals/emerald/jade, and mauves/purples (not counting black, grey, and other neutrals--which to me are not colors :wink:). These seem to be the ones I return to ...

@fashionista-ta I'm keeping the jacket! I really liked the colour as I saw it in natural light, and the jacket itself is a proportion I've been missing in my wardrobe, all the jackets I see these days seem to be on the longer side.

About your shoes, it sounds like there are enough colours within the beads to make it quite versatile, colour-matching wise I think you're on the money about blues, pinks, greens and purples being good potential coordinates. I think shades in the lavender/periwinkle family would work beautifully too, purples and softer blues are a great combination imo. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm also with you on the closet containing multiple colour families, ha. Mine is warmer blues and greens, with a handful of pinks/reds, and the actual neutrals often have some kind of pattern, like gingham or polka dots or stripes or florals etc. There are outlier colours, particularly among my traditional clothes but those have a rather limited purpose for certain events, and not really part of daily wear for me (though oddly, in traditional clothes, when I actually do have to wear them I tend to go for the outlier colours like bright yellow and hot pink/orange....novelty value, perhaps? lol).

Betina, I love the broderie anglaise top you got. Is it Mango?

Indeed, it is! I don't always find their quality equally good, but the fabric is a linen/viscose blend and seems really nice and sturdy.

My espadrilles arrived today ... the sizing is fine, but I could've done a 38.5 I think ... but I may well be glad of the extra room as (I guess like everyone's!) my feet tend to swell in the heat. They look good with my purple sweater! Plan to wear them this weekend ... a nice feature is that the insoles are leather rather than textile as is usually the case with espadrilles, so they'll be easier to clean.

^nice to hear about the leather insole on your espadrilles, like you said it's easier to clean....and also doesn't trap odours (flashback to memories of old Converse with their cloth insoles). That's a majorly handy feature in any pair of shoes.

Will you be spraying them with some kind of leather protector before taking them out though, given they're white?

^ I don't think so ... just plan to be careful? I'm sure whatever that spray is is totally toxic ... I am telling myself they are off-white, and that will make all the difference :wink:

Ta-ta: The Chanel logo is stitched in black on the cap toe, but it is hardly noticable, so I don't mind :smile: They do not feel like wearing clouds on your feet like Porsellis do, but they don't make my feet hurt, which is all I expect from other shoe brands :P The Roger Viver espadrilles are beautiful!

Katie-licious: I was in your shoes januar 2018! I definitely dress differently now compared to when I started (I don't wear anything I have to iron or steam anymore for example...). I hardly had any energy to shop (or do anything) in the beginning of my new job, but I adapted to it over time :smile:

Betina: I ordered that lace blouse from Mango the second I saw it in this thread:lol: It looks beautifull. Please report back on how it does in the wash (I mean, why should we both suffer when you can suffer enough for the both of us:innocent: )!

The cardigan is lovely, Betina :flower:

Filippa-K are making the long coat that was on my wishlist this season as well, but not in navy :( They are doing a camel, black and pale blue. Unless a navy one comes for sale second hand, I will probably have to do with what I have (which is fine) :smile:

@floodette: thanks a bunch! how are you liking the bag now that you've started wearing it?

I like it more (although yes it is small). But if I need bigger bag, I can use my other bag, so no problem. Thanks for asking, BTW! and I love your white top.

As I am usually putting colour in the form of lipstick and nail polish, usually am wearing red. I thought it was @Betinapple or @softgrey that recommend me chanel poppy one? Really like it and still use it. But I just got a new favourite, essie valentine edition. Basically it's burgundyish red with red glitter. And I love that it wears well.

@eizhowa: glad to be of service, I suppose :wink: and will do!

Shame with the coat, but probably best to wait it out until the exact right one comes along.

@floodette: That must have been softgrey. The Essie polish sounds nice. I bought a berry-red essie polish last year and I am finding that the coverage and durability are better (for me) than Chanel.

I snatched a dress on sale (the red one). Thinking it will be great now with sandals and during FW with boots and a jacket (leather or the zebra jacket from last year). I can also see it working for both work as well as parties, going out etc.

pics via magasin.dk, zalando.dk

inwearscotia.jpg inwearscotia2.PNG

^ Look at you with your color! :smile: Is it a brick red?

Your Mango purchase looks to have been quite inspiring to others :wink:

Essie does last well, but I believe it isn't 3-free (i.e., it has toxic ingredients), whereas Chanel is I believe. I have pretty good luck with Chanel ... right now I'm wearing a MAC red (discontinued--all their polish is), and it's performing OK--not outstanding.

Thanks, eizhowa!

^ Look at you with your color! :smile: Is it a brick red?

Your Mango purchase looks to have been quite inspiring to others :wink:

Essie does last well, but I believe it isn't 3-free (i.e., it has toxic ingredients), whereas Chanel is I believe. I have pretty good luck with Chanel ... right now I'm wearing a MAC red (discontinued--all their polish is), and it's performing OK--not outstanding.

Thanks, eizhowa!

IRL its something in between a brick red and a burgundy :smile:

I am not completely sure but I think there are specific requirements for cosmetics in Denmark (or maybe the EU) which means that products sold here are three-free by standard. Not completely sure, will have to look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->