The 4-5 Piece French Wardrobe #10

^LOL! Still alive and kicking. Hope you guys are all well. I'm busy with searching a house to buy while the number of houses are at a all time low and prices are soaring, not funny. :cry:
Really nice dress, hopefully just as nice in real life.

I looked at my list op 2019 and I only bought one clothing item: cheap green shorts. :D
The rest of my 2019 list:
- Hermes (H) 2002 wallet
- Handmade gold earrings
- H Clic 16 wallet/crossbody bag
- H belt
I sewed myself jogging pants in black leather.

This year so far I bought a pair of high top Rick sneakers:

ssense

Wishlist:
- Some H items like a Clic mini card wallet / Kelly to go / Azap large with strap
- Jil Sander coat

vogue
- Would like to make a long leather pencil skirt

Lets see what this year brings. Going to Antwerp/Brussels in 1 week and during Spring I will be visiting Paris again. Hopefully I see something nice. So far my wardrobe is rather perfect and needs only special items and also fashion isn't that exciting and therefore keeps my spending low and I'm totally fine with that. Yay!

^ Thank you, and very nice to see you kicking :wink: Houses are lovely ... I hope you find something perfect (actually, I know you will).

So impressed that you made leather joggers!!! Would love to see pix. Also interested to hear about sourcing the leather.

I imagine there are Hermes boutiques in both places you're going? LaurieAnn is a big fan, I'm sure you guys would have lots to talk about :smile:

Please give us a trip report after Antwerp!

On my wish list ...

White Ts
Another 3/4 sleeve top or sweater (don't have enough for in between weather)
Another pair of Birkenstocks--shearling? Rick Owens?
Possibly another SS black top, more plain

That dress looks really great ta-ta, hopefully it will be just as great in real life.
And enjoy Antwerp Nymphea, lovely city to visit. I should go there again soon, haven't been there in a few years. Also, I'm very jealous of your ability to make your own clothing!

In the winter sales I got two pair of pants , one slightly cropped tapered Prince of Wales check, the other is a navy blue wool melange drawstring joggers. I've been getting a lot of wear out of both so far. The joggers turn out to be workplace proof when worn with a white or dark blue shirt tucked in.
I also got two heavy knit (preloved) sweaters, one cream waffle/cable knit and one tan with a shawl collar. Haven't been able to wear them much because of the extremely mild winter, climate change is real. :judge:

Thanks guys! :flower:
I guess I'm a bit or a lot spoiled with visiting Paris every year so Antwerp/Brussels was a bit of a let down, but enjoyed it. Yes, also visited Hermes, but nothing interesting there. Their inventory was pretty low especially Antwerp + I'm very picky! I could easily supply them with a wishlist to produce lol.

The joggers are made of horse leather from a store that sells mainly orthopedic leathers. There are a few other leather stores, but the quality isn't that good. I wanted a leather that was a bit sturdy but not too much. Lambskin was rather light and elastic, calf leather too heavy and had much grain. Horse is mostly smooth with a bit of sturdiness. And joggers are so comfy! :D

^ Gracious, horse leather ... well, I have shoes that are kangaroo :innocent: And talk about stretchy ...
Sorry to hear that about Antwerp! Back to Paris then! :magic:

Thanks, fewormany :smile: The dress arrived ... the sequinned knit is basically identical to my purple sweater. The weight of the metal trim does a nice job making sure everything falls as it should and stays straight. I really like the back detail at the neck, the length, comfort, etc. I'm not sure how flattering the pooling above the hips is, but I decided that I would accept that since the dress doesn't actively call attention to my flaws :ninja:

Stitch Fix has a new shopping feature where they suggest items to go with what you've kept previously. I've ordered a couple things. So far the polka dot blouse arrived, and I sent it back for a different size. This is fairly similar to the (Dolce & Gabbana) polka dot silk blouse I loved that wore out (this is rayon). I've also been needing a white T and wanting some eyelet, so this should tick both boxes. I'm trying to focus on casual flats to work with my current lifestyle--probably just one pair a year. These look pretty good and I think should work with my high arch. So we'll see what works ...

stitchfix

Stitch Fix purchases.jpg

Here are my pants:
The 4-5 piece French wardrobe combinations thread

It's weird some clothing items aren't flattering at all and only pinpoint the negative items of your body. Don't know how they do it, it's amazing lol.

Are you still scouring Alber's Lanvin items fashionista-ta? It doesn't seem he will be coming back any time soon or ever I think. Sad.

^ Those look great! Like I said, I'm jealous of your ability to make your own clothing.

I picked up this Dries van Noten shirt at yoox (the discount was too good to pass up). I might wear it with a light grey suit to a wedding this spring and I think it will work worn casual as well.

dries-van-noten-dries-van-noten-shirt.jpg

yoox.com

^Thanks!
Nice shirt, I like Dries especially on discount. :D
Oh a wedding, nice! Always love to see what other people are wearing.

hey everyone, nice to see you all!
that's a great shirt, fewormany. especially on discount indeed :stuart:
I love striped shirts, and I get very picky about the stripes being too thin/too wide, too close/too far apart... these seem perfect :kiss:
those leather pants are amazing, nymphea. good luck with your house hunt!
and I love that black dress, ta-ta. have you had a chance to wear it yet?

as for me, I've only just caught up with my 'what I bought in 2019' list. will write up a review soon!

Nymphaea, no, I did that stockup after Alber was let go, and haven't done any more after that. I've kind of switched to Brunello Cucinelli as my go-to. (Thanks for the outfit pic!) twistelette, I haven't worn the dress yet ... we have had a couple spring days this month, but the stars haven't aligned to wear this yet. I will create an occasion if one doesn't arise, when the weather gets warmer :wink:

I got this tote yesterday ... have been wanting a new one for awhile. The closure isn't super practical, but I couldn't resist.

katespade

Kate Spade polka tote.jpg

The white top I posted above, I've returned. The eyelet was unlined, so you could see my skin through the whole thing. I feel that manufacturers should not be sticking me with the problem of how to fix that. I don't want to layer in the summertime ... so if they are going to sell me a piece that doesn't work on its own, I am going to return it :wink: So I am still in need of a white T or top.

I am also having a little French wardrobe crisis. Last night I went through my records since 2015, and I have been sticking with the 6 pieces per season (Spring, Fall) since then (and earlier, not sure of the exact date, 5 pieces or fewer). However ... I have currently bought all of my key pieces for this year, and it's only February. And I don't feel done :stuart: On the one hand, I like keeping things pretty minimal because of space and the environment. I don't like having too much. But I would also like to have a little more fun, like with different colors. In order to stick to this, in my experience, you have to let some things go that you wanted, maybe because they're just not practical enough. Advice?? I'm wondering how best to compromise with myself ...

lovely bag, ta-ta, I imagine it will fit right in with your style.
about your french wardrobe crisis -- if I remember it right, you started counting items towards future seasons right when you bought those Lanvin items after Alber resigned. perhaps you can see those buys as a special occasion, and it's time to wipe the slate clean and basically start fresh this season with counting.
or did I get it wrong, and you bought 5 pieces this season already, and don't feel done for spring?

it might help to rephrase the question into 'in what way do I not feel done'? are there specific items that are missing that would help pull outfits together? (like for me, I know I have two pairs of black linen trousers, but I've worn them so much that I know I'll probably have to get some new ones this season -- because so many of my summer outfits rely on black linen trousers.) in that case, I say it'll unlock so many items you already have that are more difficult to pull into outfits right now, that will make it worth getting the linen trousers/white shirt/ballet flats/whatever we are talking about.
getting these items in new colours for you seems like the easiest way to navigate wanting more/different colours & getting practical basics.

if you don't feel done because you want to be more creative & don't want to feel like all your outfits from here until august are basically locked down, you could consider the compromise of going secondhand shopping. it's not for everyone (goodness knows I'm a fan :mrgreen:) but in my experience, especially summer skirts are not that hard to find second hand.
or, cliché coming up, I hardly dare say it... counter-intuitively, go for a major spring cleaning of your wardrobe. or simply take everything out of your closet(s) and look at every piece. maybe not with the idea of getting rid of it or not, but with the idea: how can I combine this in a new way? I recently did this when I moved & had to take everything out of my old closet and put it into my new one :smile:heart::heart::heart:) and it surprised me how many new outfits I came up with, purely going through that. might also just be because it's in a new space, my mirror is in a new place, just enough change to make me see everything in a new light?

phew, long post. hope it helps!

Thank you, twistelette :smile:

I have always shopped in spurts, so I've been 'buying ahead' pretty much since I first started this (at the same time I started this thread). I just looked at my records and they go back to 2010, but I distinctly remember posting on this thread when I was shopping for my vacation in summer 2007, so I started it sometime before that.

Those Alber purchases were quite some time ago now, and have already been absorbed (without wiping the slate). They were the biggest shop ahead to date at the time. My recent challenge has been the major lifestyle change of WFH. One would think, and I thought, that this would reduce my need for shopping ... but that didn't happen--at all. Now that I control the thermostat almost always, I no longer need to layer like I always did at work when I was in someone else's office. I prefer to wear a single layer on top because it's so much easier and less fiddly, and I can change the temperature so I stay comfortable. So I have been building up my wardrobe to achieve that goal for all seasons ... summer, winter, and transitions, with transitions (at least) still in progress. It also affects shoes ... I want them to be easy to get on and off. I've also started meditating with a group on the weekends, and there too, I take my shoes off/put them back on in a public setting. (I've stopped buying new heels for years now, I think.) This activity also requires fairly comfortable clothes, which generally agrees with my new work requirements, but is different because I'm visible head to toe, not just my shoulders and up. For during the week, I have several comfortable, generally black and grey, bottoms I wear on weekdays. I feel like wearing something more colorful on the weekends. Yet perhaps not so statement-y that it's too distracting to my fellow meditators. A fine balance to strike for this animal-print loving Leo :meow: ...

Having any major change like these always seems to necessitate 'break the mold' shopping. Another example would be the change from school to work. It's difficult (and perhaps unwise) to prepare for a situation you don't yet understand because you're not in it. But once you're in, you have to respond to it.

It's not that my wardrobe isn't working ... it totally is. I can make plenty of outfits. What I'm looking for is more comfort, ease, and also stimulation.

I count secondhand the same as first-hand, since I am adding to my wardrobe the same either way. I shopped secondhand when I was young, but haven't had good experiences with it more recently, though I think it's a great option for anyone who wants to do it :smile: And it's probably the very best value for $$$.

It might be reasonable to have a specific bump in items for a significant lifestyle change like the two I mentioned (like adding a 'season' for it). That might be the best way to address this.

PS Having thought about my plan above, I decided to adopt it. This idea makes me feel I can still make this work for me, after all these years :magic:

Couple purchases for weekend wear ... I'm particularly excited about these Frame jeans, they fit like magic :wub: while being crazy expensive for jeans :wacko: I suspect they will not be the last I buy from this brand. I find them to be super well designed (ankle zippers, little air holes for the pockets so they lie flat), but there's more I don't understand. Part of it's no doubt the fabric, but I suspect there could be actual magic involved ... :unsure:

PS Wore my new dress last weekend, and it's super comfortable. I love the back detail ... a deep V with a little knit string across the top.

nordstrom, stitchfix

Frame cheetah tan faded black.jpeg Cosmic Blue Love red.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite the solution to my problem that I was looking for, but the pandemic has convinced me I don't need any new clothes, since I basically cannot wear them anywhere :wink: I did wear my new polka dot blouse during some warmer weather this week for videoconferencing, and I like it a lot, even though the rayon fabric isn't my favorite. Perhaps it will be more durable than the silk one I had (it was certainly less expensive).

Received these shoes from Brown's (got a nice discount ordering from a country with a different currency). They are lovely, and will be sitting in a shoe box for awhile as we all ride this out ...

farfetch

Aquazzura red.jpg

^ Nothing like a pandemic to put thing in perspective. :ninja::wink:

For the upcoming weeks I'll only have to look presentable from the waist up (aside form the occasional trip to the grocery store), I guess that will get boring quickly.. like most things probably wil.. What are you guys planning to do for the upcoming week(s) while social distancing?

Well, I wanted to go to Paris in January, but didn't go because of the strike. Then I wanted to go by the end of this month, but obviously that's also not going to happen. Hopefully September won't bring any problems.

Everything is quite at a stand still, fashion also, but I did buy a semi-transparent t-shirt from Rick O x Champion. And I haven't yet found that Jil Sander coat I'm looking for.

For the rest I'm using internet more, reading, TV and running where there are almost no people around. Also I'm making a quilt, probably a one time event, because almost all quilts are rather oldish/grannyish, sorry!

^ I have a couple of cool quilts :wink: One is appliqued geometric poppies from the 20s, I think I posted in the home thread with the matching needlepoint pillow I made. I also have a pink and white Hawaiian style one. What kind are you going to make?

Fewormany, now others are in the shoulders-up mode with me :wink: Everyone is going to know what I'm talking about!

I am planning to walk around the neighborhood, but it has been raining almost non-stop. Fires in the fireplace ... did that last night. I also scheduled a Reiki appointment with my massage therapist, since that can be done long distance, and felt quite clever for thinking of it. I am looking forward to it! Maybe I'll do the animal communicator too and have a chat with my dogs. Oh--last night in front of my fire, I did an hour-long sound bath with Tibetan singing bowls that I found on YouTube, and it really left me feeling like myself for the first time since this all went down. Happy to look up more details if anyone wants them ...

I'm going to try to figure out something to do with my hair since I can't get it cut. I am right on the verge of needing one--well, probably I already do. I'm going to try to do something with barrettes vs. putting it back in a clip.

Long time, no see. Between starting a new job and moving everything has been quite busy.

I am now on team "working from home". TBH, I havent put much thought into my wardrobe for this occasion.. I just shift between the same few dresses. Heard that the sales in physical clothing stores went down by 50% compared to the same week last year, 60% for shoe stores. Guess noone is getting much wear out of their shoes ATM :wink: I was actually planning on buying a pair of spring shoes (cooler than boots, warmer than sandals) but right now it seems unneccesary. Was also eyeing a dress for 4 (!) upcoming weddings, but while I hope everyone will be able to complete their parties, it seems odd buying party clothes ATM..

In general I think I have shopped less this year than usual.So far my only purchases are two dresses (Seems I cant upload pics right now, will try later). Instead I have taken up knitting - think I have spent more on yarn and knitting supplies this year than I have on clothes.

Hope you all take good care of yourself doing this difficult times..

Thanks, betina ... hopefully unlike us, your country is doing robust testing/contact tracing. Our stores are closed right now, so it's online shopping only. I ordered a couple of sports bras for wearing at home (from Good American) that I've been needing for awhile ... we'll see when they arrive/how they fit. I ordered the size they recommended (in chat), but my cup size isn't even in their size chart, so we'll see.

I also got these cargo joggers from Stitch Fix ... will probably only wear them post-pandemic. The fit is perfect, the color has a lot of pink in it, so good for wearing with blush and rosy tones already in my wardrobe. They are a lyocell blend, so the fabric feels very silky and has a little sheen to it.

Well, I'm getting the same server error you are ... they're on Pinterest, you can see them there :wink:

Not sure if I mentioned, I returned the leopard print sneakers. I never actually got one on my foot--the fit wasn't right for my high arch. Also, the print looked rather faded in person.

Stay safe, everyone!!

Nymphaea, still want to hear more about your quilt ...

Got this French terry activewear top that's perfect for WFH ... wore it today.

[looks like the image functionality is still broken ... it's on Pinterest. Do we have to wait till after the plague? :wink:]

Since you can't see it ... it's 3/4 sleeve, something my wardrobe has been short on as mentioned previously. Have gotten a couple of 3/4 sleeve tops this year. One (the coral sweater I bought on vacation a few years back) is at the cleaners--it may be stuck there for awhile. I'm not sure if they're open, but I won't be going till I need to if they are.

My new top is dip dye ... light purple on top, white on the bottom. I wore it with black pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->