The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Congratulations on the beautiful cardigan, Betinapple, and the great sweater, Belowen! Both look like very classic and very usefull investments - well done!

I haven't really found my strategy yet. I have written down what I need again and it seems like I need about eight items at least - and yet I have only four to five spots left. I could move away from my one item strategy and buy two items per month that are maybe a bit cheaper - but I don't think that would be a good idea. Instead I think I'll just choose one of my must-have items per month and that means I can't buy everything that I think I need. I guess that's okay. It helps to remember that I don't have to walk around naked - maybe just less stylish than I'd like to. And there will always be next year.

What I absolutely must buy are a cardigan and at least one pair of shoes. I still feel my shoe wardrobe definitely needs more pieces for summer. I will have to decide between pumps and trainers though since I need both and I don't want to buy only shoes. I think it'll depend on where I'll find the perfect pair.

Does anyone own a pair of Jimmy Choo's? How do they run, especially around the toe area? In general: Does anyone know a brand that makes shoes that are a bit wider around the toe area?? I have a narrow foot in the "middle" but rather large toes, sigh.... So if anyone knows how to accomodate those toes I'd be more than happy!

My Jimmy Choos fit well ... I don't know if I'd call them wide at the toe, but I find them roomy enough ... I had a pair of brown pumps that had a nice roomy toe box, but now I'm not sure who made them :blink: Joan & David maybe???

It's quite true that 'need' is relative. As you may have noticed, I haven't bought anything lately ... I've been investing in my home instead. I'm enjoying the new slipcovers on the sofa, and will be picking up my special order Italian sheets in a couple weeks ... and the clothes in my closet are working perfectly fine :lol:

You were talking about expensive cardigans ... I have them at various price points. Wore one of the more expensive ones today, and got multiple compliments. I think if they have great detail, it's worth the extra money. For nice cardigans for less, check out Boden ...

Melisande, how satisfying to find the perfect black skirt!! In my world, it's the kind of thing you should get an award for :lol: I seem to recall that Patagonia has a down jacket with flattering diagonal stitching. Moncler also has really beautiful ones.

farou, mint and camel sound fine ... mint and pearl grey might be pretty too.

floodette, I think that is true, but I find it to be unavoidable sometimes :innocent:

Cool watch, floodette!

I just got a Chan Luu cashmere/silk scarf. It's big--54" x 62", and it's sooooooo soft and warm! I've turned into a total scarf convert this year, although I've yet to bite the bullet and get the ultimate scarf--an Hermes cashmere GM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the nice word, shoestring!
Owwww, I love scarf! Can you please put the pic of yours here so I can ogle?
Posted via Mobile Device

Melisande, how satisfying to find the perfect black skirt!! In my world, it's the kind of thing you should get an award for :lol: I seem to recall that Patagonia has a down jacket with flattering diagonal stitching. Moncler also has really beautiful ones.

Thanks Ta-ta! Yes, the award IS the skirt. :wink:

The funny thing is that it was extremely inexpensive, while the length, cut, size, fabric, everything is perfect. Since I'm sure its quality will not hold out especially since I'm wearing it so often, I've measured the whole thing to clone its DNA before it dies :smile:

Shoestring: I'd love to see a pic of the scarf! Scarves are so great! I have a few nice ones and I'm always thrilled how they can transform an outfit. Seems like the older I get, the more I love the luxe of a silk or cashmere scarf...

Tata and my shoe question: Thank you for your advice! Actually I've been to my first Jimmy Choo store ever yesterday. I usually prefer online shopping since I have that prejudice that they are arrogant in boutiques... ("Pretty Woman" prejudice maybe :wink:) But I noticed they are perfectly nice!! I tried out a LOT of shoes yesterday and they were very helpful and patient.

Truth is: The pumps are still a problem. They are either too narrow in the toe area or too wide in the rest of my foot. I didn't buy any pair. BUT I found my perfect pair of trainers! They look great with polo shirts, tees, hoodies and jeans or cargos and are therefore the perfect accessory for "playground adventures"... One of my main goal this season is to update my casual wardrobe a bit and this seems to be a great way to do just that. I think with these trainers, a simple dark wash jeans and a nice but cheap white tee I'm perfectly fine for the "mummy plays around with children" part of my life.

Now the big goals of the season remain a cardigan and one major investment piece, probably a bag. I'm not going to buy that nice evening bag, since ta-ta is right, the price-per-wear won't justify that. I've firmly placed my eyes on a great everyday bag. I'm still admiring the more expensive cardigans... Since there are three that I really love but cannot afford right now, I might just try to wait for the sales. That has worked out great last season :wink:

Oh, and here is my March purchase (I'm early in the month, once again...)

pic by jimmychoo.com

Attachments

• jimmychoo_miami.jpg
    jimmychoo_miami.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3
Forgot to say, about the pumps: I own a nice pair of black suede Miu Mius that I'm definitely going to wear more this season. They feel like shoes that could become comfy once they are worn in. So I decided to just use what I have for one more season.

Cute shoes, RedandNavy ... I bet they'd be cute with a colored lace, as well.

Yes, I think a lot of high-end shops are very nice to customers (sometimes cloyingly so--my a$$ does not need to be kissed) ... they just want to sell something after all. The exception here is some of the SAs (esp in shoes) at Needless Markup (aka Neiman's) ... and now that we have Barney's back and Nordstrom, it's fairly easy to avoid the whole store for years on end :woot:

You just have to remember that the SAs who act like that have low self-esteem, and are trying to prop it up with the label on the door at work ... and I must say there's nothing so amusing as the look on one of their faces when you drop $$$$ with one of their more congenial colleagues :lol:

I :heart: this thread! Here's my wishlist since I'm in the process of revamping my wardrobe (ie downsizing) for med school this fall:

1. Blazer - (will be tricky to find one that doesn't look like I'm playing corporate dress-up)
2. Basic crew neck top that's long and flowy - (you'd be surprised how hard it can be to find a crew neck when most are V- or scoop necks)
3. Buttoned down silk blouse that's not too sheer
4. Striped top or sweater

I still want to retain some aspects of my style when I go to classes yet feel comfortable. If anyone has suggestions on where to shop (affordable but still pretty good quality) for these pieces, let me know!

Shoestring: I'd love to see a pic of the scarf! Scarves are so great! I have a few nice ones and I'm always thrilled how they can transform an outfit. Seems like the older I get, the more I love the luxe of a silk or cashmere scarf...

Tata and my shoe question: Thank you for your advice! Actually I've been to my first Jimmy Choo store ever yesterday. I usually prefer online shopping since I have that prejudice that they are arrogant in boutiques... ("Pretty Woman" prejudice maybe :wink:) But I noticed they are perfectly nice!! I tried out a LOT of shoes yesterday and they were very helpful and patient.

Truth is: The pumps are still a problem. They are either too narrow in the toe area or too wide in the rest of my foot. I didn't buy any pair. BUT I found my perfect pair of trainers! They look great with polo shirts, tees, hoodies and jeans or cargos and are therefore the perfect accessory for "playground adventures"... One of my main goal this season is to update my casual wardrobe a bit and this seems to be a great way to do just that. I think with these trainers, a simple dark wash jeans and a nice but cheap white tee I'm perfectly fine for the "mummy plays around with children" part of my life.

Now the big goals of the season remain a cardigan and one major investment piece, probably a bag. I'm not going to buy that nice evening bag, since ta-ta is right, the price-per-wear won't justify that. I've firmly placed my eyes on a great everyday bag. I'm still admiring the more expensive cardigans... Since there are three that I really love but cannot afford right now, I might just try to wait for the sales. That has worked out great last season :wink:

Oh, and here is my March purchase (I'm early in the month, once again...)

pic by jimmychoo.com

Great sneakers! I aggree with Ta-ta. A coloured lace would look really nice.

I have a pair of grey lacoste sneakers with pink laces and I love them because they make me feel really girly despite that fact that I'm wearing sneakers.

I bet you'll really enjoy them, since they're a great addition to a casual wardrobe. Actually I tend to use mine for playground purposes as well, when I babysit. I use mine with both jeans and jersey dresses.

Thanks Ta-ta! Yes, the award IS the skirt. :wink:

The funny thing is that it was extremely inexpensive, while the length, cut, size, fabric, everything is perfect. Since I'm sure its quality will not hold out especially since I'm wearing it so often, I've measured the whole thing to clone its DNA before it dies :smile:

I'm sure someone has read this already and given you a million good answers but all you need is a good tailor, bring the skirt, and tell them you want it replicated. You might need to leave the skirt there and they can measure it to their hearts content and make you an exact dupe! Much easier than trying to do the measurements yourself I would think. ^_^

So, I'm contemplating ordering two items: a pair of pink heels and a striped peplum blouse, but that means that I will have bought 7 out of the 10 items I can buy untill the end of June.

I'm not doubting that I really want both items and would enjoy them, especially since they are a bit more "fun" than what I've bought already (staples). My logic side is telling me that I should buy something long-lasting, but on the other hand I've already bought 4 very classic items and has a couple more of them on my musthave list.

I'm going to have to sort it out during the next couple of days.

Thanks for the nice words about the sneakers! I actually wore them with a black sequined cardigan yesterday that usually feels a bit "overdressed" and wrong. Together with the sneakers it finally had a look that I appreciated :wink: So I've noticed I can wear them with much more than the jeans and t-shirt uniform! Love them dearly already.

One thing I've noticed is that buying less makes me actually wear my things more. I used to have the need for many things and always felt like I had to save good pieces a bit... But truth is, you need to wear them to death while you really love them. Oh, and I think owning less makes you more creative about how to combine... I've been wearing my brogues, my Sonia by Sonia Rykiel dress and that jacket I bought A LOT and it feels good to really take advantage of those pieces.

Looks like I'll have an easy time limiting myself in fall / winter. What is it with the shows for next season? It feels like fashion is going into a direction that is totally opposite my taste :blink: No idea how I'll find anything that I'll really like next season. But well, then again, I always do :wink:

^ Completely agree with your points, and glad the shoes are working out so well :flower: There's no point in going to all the trouble to find great things, and then not wearing them :hardhead: Even classic things have a fashion moment that must be seized :wink:

Just dropped in to note the sudden passing of my black jeans :o They are worn out and I'll need to replace them. Have plenty of slots to do it--I haven't bought anything for spring yet. But I'm not best pleased by the surprise. I definitely got my money's worth, can't complain about that ...

Cute shoes, RedandNavy ... I bet they'd be cute with a colored lace, as well.

Yes, I think a lot of high-end shops are very nice to customers (sometimes cloyingly so--my a$$ does not need to be kissed) ... they just want to sell something after all. The exception here is some of the SAs (esp in shoes) at Needless Markup (aka Neiman's) ... and now that we have Barney's back and Nordstrom, it's fairly easy to avoid the whole store for years on end :woot:

You just have to remember that the SAs who act like that have low self-esteem, and are trying to prop it up with the label on the door at work ... and I must say there's nothing so amusing as the look on one of their faces when you drop $$$$ with one of their more congenial colleagues :lol:
Nordstroms is always chilly with me in mens shoes for some odd reason. :shock:

So, I'm contemplating ordering two items: a pair of pink heels and a striped peplum blouse, but that means that I will have bought 7 out of the 10 items I can buy untill the end of June.

I'm not doubting that I really want both items and would enjoy them, especially since they are a bit more "fun" than what I've bought already (staples). My logic side is telling me that I should buy something long-lasting, but on the other hand I've already bought 4 very classic items and has a couple more of them on my musthave list.

I'm going to have to sort it out during the next couple of days.
You love stripes and the peplum seems to break it out of the ordinary just enough! I want to see it! :woot:

You love stripes and the peplum seems to break it out of the ordinary just enough! I want to see it! :woot:

Oh you know me too well :D Should be arriving in the next couple of days, so I can show it to you guys.

Hello all,

1. I want a ruby ring « not sure if i will buy it this year as it's'not priority, but it's'been on my wishlist for ages. And i dont have ring with yellow gold anyway, so ruby + yellow gold sounds nice « still remains elusive

2. Watch « bicolore chain « another item that has been on my wishlist for ages « got watch (the handcuff type), not bicolore but suits me fine

3. White blouse « i dont have any!!! « OTW, from my friend's line (she is local new designer)

4. Coloured blouse « actually got two, one patterned by dvf and another (very cute!!!) One again from my friend's line

5. Nude wedge « has ordered from my favourite shoe designer (local)« am actually thinking whether to buy it or not...

6. Navy strappy shoes « for work :-) « will have them handmade by my fave shoe designer

*cant think about anything else atm*
Posted via Mobile Device

I think I've been quite good. Altho I still not stick to this list 100% (hello, dress here and there), I really reduce my impulse buying a lot. Hopefully this can be sustained.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Betinapple

Show me that striped peplum thingy as soon as it arrives. Sounds great. How about the pink shoes? I saw some pink heels at the Jimmy Choo store, they looked great! But not like something that would fit into my wardrobe, I guess :blush:

I'm waiting for April, haha... ^_^ Buying one item per month is tough right now. But it's okay. I guess it's a good strategy for me since otherwise I'd be temted to shop all the time. I think one thing I've learnt is to no longer give into that "last piece" trap. It made me push the order button really fast two years ago but it also let to a lot of impulse shopping.

Oh, I saw a pair of perfectly gorgeous sandals!! Unfortunatelly they sold out really quickly. But honestly, in a way I was relieved when I saw that they had sold out because otherwise I would have been forced to buy my second pair of flat sandals this season and I guess it's not THE item I need most.....

Hey Betinapple

Show me that striped peplum thingy as soon as it arrives. Sounds great. How about the pink shoes? I saw some pink heels at the Jimmy Choo store, they looked great! But not like something that would fit into my wardrobe, I guess :blush:

I'm waiting for April, haha... ^_^ Buying one item per month is tough right now. But it's okay. I guess it's a good strategy for me since otherwise I'd be temted to shop all the time. I think one thing I've learnt is to no longer give into that "last piece" trap. It made me push the order button really fast two years ago but it also let to a lot of impulse shopping.

Oh, I saw a pair of perfectly gorgeous sandals!! Unfortunatelly they sold out really quickly. But honestly, in a way I was relieved when I saw that they had sold out because otherwise I would have been forced to buy my second pair of flat sandals this season and I guess it's not THE item I need most.....

It is really nothing fancy - just an H&M blouse. Did not want to splurge on this item, since it is a trend thing a not as classic as black ballet flats or the perfect white shirt, which I'm wearing several times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->