The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as not shopping ... consulting my records for fall, I shopped in June, August, and December for fall. No shopping in July, September, October, and November :wink:

My shopping was very minimal this past season. I only bought one key piece (but it was expensive) ... everything else was pajamas, lingerie, tights, socks ...

For spring of last year, I shopped in February, March, May, and June. No shopping in January or April. For spring, I bought 10 pieces, including some transitional ones. So 11 for the whole year ...

Pretty bathing suit ATM. Very cute.

Ta-ta: I know, it should not be so hard. Sometimes it is though. Not because of the rush but because I like to add something new to give a fresh look on things. Maybe I should try to be better at making new outfits from what I've got, but I feel that it is as good as it gets.

So, I've ran into quite a dilemma. I've saved enough money to buy the acne pistols, which I would really love to own. (Un)fortunately I've seen the perfect white dress, which I've been looking for for 5 years or more. It is not expensive, but due to my economy the next couple of months I can not afford to buy it because my money are going to pay for my medicine and trips to see my family.

The dress costs 75 GBP. If I buy it with the money I've saved up for the boots I will have to wait to buy the boots untill I've got the 75 pounds again. It could be a while and it could be any day if I sell some of the clothes I've put up for sale in a huge wardrobe clean-out. The boots I'll be able to get in a couple of months as well but the dress is on sale - though still available in all sizes.

I need the boots more right now bot the dress will be perfect for SS - and now too. I think I'm sticking to my plan of buying the boots and then hoping the dress is still there when I have the funds.

^ I find white a bit risky ... for me, it's a magnet for all things not white :wink: The only thing I buy in pure white is t-shirts, and I know that they will have a limited lifespan. If you do well with white head to toe, I would go for the dress, assuming that the boots will definitely be available in the foreseeable future.

^ I find white a bit risky ... for me, it's a magnet for all things not white :wink: The only thing I buy in pure white is t-shirts, and I know that they will have a limited lifespan. If you do well with white head to toe, I would go for the dress, assuming that the boots will definitely be available in the foreseeable future.

I used to spill all the time, but practice makes perfect apperently :lol: No it happens from time to time still, but it is a cotton/elastan dress, so if the unfortunate should happen I would be able to clean it up.

My thoughts on what to get first are excactly what you are saying. Im just reluctant to take money from my savings for ANYTHING since I don't want it to become a bad habit.

Acutally I was considering NOT buying the shoes because it has been a long time since I've had that kind of money for clothes and probably will be a long time until I have that amount again. For the same price I could buy a pair of jeans, the dress I was talking about AND 2 silk blouses (which is what I need the most ATM). All in a decent quality. If I go with the boots I might have to settle for the dress and a blouse later in the season and not so much more - on the other hand I would have a great pair of boots then.

I don't know what just happened. Seems I've got cold feet now that I finally got the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The situation has solved itself however, since I sold some of my books from when I was studying to be a teacher. Now the question just is what size I should get. Im usually an UK8/EU 36 in dresses - The dress are in sizes 1-6 (it's a Ted Baker dress), and 1 should be an 8. I've looked at the measurements and the I seem to be between size 1 and 2, but closest to 1. I'm afraid it is going to be too small, but size 10 is always too big for me, and I've just lost some weight. What would you do?

Hey there!

White: I'm like you, Ta-ta, white is tough for me. I had a pair of white pants once and somehow they always seemed to be dirty. I was afraid to sit down with them...:shock: I like the look of white but I don't think it's a good color for items that should last. At least not for me :P

Betinapple: Congrats on selling the books and getting the money... Hm, the question with sizes is always very tough when online shopping. I prefer buying my things at net-a-porter cause they give you all the important measurements. That's something clearly lacking on many other pages. So I think the only thing you can do is give it a try. I'd probably buy size 8 if that's your usual size.

Buying expensive pieces: I know how it hurts to buy an expensive piece you have saved up for. So much money on one piece... It happened when I bought my Burberry Trench last year. It was so tempting to spend all the money on three more exciting pieces like blouses etc. Truth is: It was probably my best buy in 2011. That plus the expensive winter jacket I bought in December. These are the items that make everything else work... Like a bag or a great pair of shoes. However, if the Acne Pistols are really what you want and need, only you can decide.

Ta-ta: I actually went ahead and ordered the shoes I wrote you about. They were low stock and somehow I just wanted to take the risk. I mean, I'll be 33 this year, maybe a little bit of cuteness can still do. I hope :P We'll see how they are when they get here.

ATM: Cute bikini!

Hey there!

White: I'm like you, Ta-ta, white is tough for me. I had a pair of white pants once and somehow they always seemed to be dirty. I was afraid to sit down with them...:shock: I like the look of white but I don't think it's a good color for items that should last. At least not for me :P

Betinapple: Congrats on selling the books and getting the money... Hm, the question with sizes is always very tough when online shopping. I prefer buying my things at net-a-porter cause they give you all the important measurements. That's something clearly lacking on many other pages. So I think the only thing you can do is give it a try. I'd probably buy size 8 if that's your usual size.

Buying expensive pieces: I know how it hurts to buy an expensive piece you have saved up for. So much money on one piece... It happened when I bought my Burberry Trench last year. It was so tempting to spend all the money on three more exciting pieces like blouses etc. Truth is: It was probably my best buy in 2011. That plus the expensive winter jacket I bought in December. These are the items that make everything else work... Like a bag or a great pair of shoes. However, if the Acne Pistols are really what you want and need, only you can decide.

Ta-ta: I actually went ahead and ordered the shoes I wrote you about. They were low stock and somehow I just wanted to take the risk. I mean, I'll be 33 this year, maybe a little bit of cuteness can still do. I hope :P We'll see how they are when they get here.

ATM: Cute bikini!

I have no problems with white. I have a white shirt and a white dress/skirt, both has survived so far! I spilled a berry on the shirt at one point, but I was able to clean it. The key is for everything white to be machinewashable, I think :P Which gives me a problem since I would love to own a white, short sleeve silkblouse, but for some reason I always spill when I'm wearing silk.

I think I'll go for the 8. It seems more right to me. Just hope it fits since it will be redicoulously expensive to return it.

It's not that I don't think the pistols are for me. I've seen a lot of similar boots, and they just don't speak to me in the same way. I think the problem is that now when I've finally got the money I hate to see all my savings go. It would be different if I knew I definetely would have the same amount again in a couple of months - but I don't. Anyhow, it is not a problem anymore since there's funds for both. Then I can find the money for a blouse or to later on in the season. Jeans can wait for fall, if I don't have the money before - I also need to find the perfect ones first.

Still, I was thinking a little bit about waiting with the shoes untill I get some extra income. I am looking for a job ATM. Just seems silly, since I should buy the shoes soon. If I don't, I might as well wait for fall, because hopefully I will not have much use of them during the summer.

What shoes did you buy?

My shoes:

I ordered a pair of cherry sandals... :blush: I don't know, I have a soft spot for cherries. I just love cherries. I always fall in love with shirts and tees with cherries on them but I don't buy them cause they feel too childish... :P But I have a lovely silk scarf with cherries. And these shoes... Well, a risky choice. But since I'd never wear a pair of open sandals to work anyway, they are cool for casual outfits. Or what do you guys think, too much cuteness?? :innocent:

They haven't been shipped yet so we will see how I like them when they arrive. Maybe I should have gone for a classic style but hey, sometimes you have to be a bit risky :lol: I guess it's the good mix of classics with fun pieces that makes the look ^_^ So: My January purchase: cherry sandals!

Attachments

• miumiu_sandals.jpg
    miumiu_sandals.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 5
@ATM: thx :flower:: it's so great when everything sorts itself out. I've ordered the dress now in size 1. Hope it fits. Ordered it from johnlewis.com

Do any of you have any experience with purchasing stuff from their webshop?

My shoes:

I ordered a pair of cherry sandals... :blush: I don't know, I have a soft spot for cherries. I just love cherries. I always fall in love with shirts and tees with cherries on them but I don't buy them cause they feel too childish... :P But I have a lovely silk scarf with cherries. And these shoes... Well, a risky choice. But since I'd never wear a pair of open sandals to work anyway, they are cool for casual outfits. Or what do you guys think, too much cuteness?? :innocent:

They haven't been shipped yet so we will see how I like them when they arrive. Maybe I should have gone for a classic style but hey, sometimes you have to be a bit risky :lol: I guess it's the good mix of classics with fun pieces that makes the look ^_^ So: My January purchase: cherry sandals!

I love them! I aggree with you that cherrys on clothing can make you end up with a look that is a little too youthful, but I bet they will go great with your classic style, which also assures that you do not have to worry about them matching your clothes. Great purchase!

I do have kind of the same problem with some motives though. I love hearts and bows as a motive but sometimes it just gets too girly for me. I like pretty young already for my 20 years of age (and 80 on the inside :innocent:) and I do not want to add to this image by wearing to young clothing.

RedandNavy, remember you must list a source for every image you post at TFS. please list a source or your posts will be deleted.

i like the sandals. what brand are they?

RedandNavy, remember you must list a source for every image you post at TFS. please list a source or your posts will be deleted.

i like the sandals. what brand are they?

Oh NOOO! I forgot again! I usually think of it, sorry, but I was in a hurry...

Picture credit for the sandals: net-a-porter.com

They are miu miu.

Betinapple: Thank you! My husband was a bit sceptical about them but I decided not to listen to him this time :D I have a lot of rather neutral summer clothes and I think they will work very well with them. I just have to pay attention on the mix I guess. Because I loooove them!

RedandNavy: Oh my goodness, they are beautiful. And, they'll go with everything! Maybe not magenta. But most things!

It's been forever, but I wanted to update the thread on my progress. I haven't been super faithful to my a/w wardrobe plan (made up way back in August, I think), but I've stayed true to the spirit of the thing, I hope!

Over the past few months, I've stuck to a silhouette of full skirts and streamlined tops, both in separates and dresses. These are two of my favorite outfits. In both, my sister has cut off my shoes, but they're simple red suede heels (the same color as the tights).

eOJES.jpg

ShO6A.jpg

I love reading this thread and seeing how others are doing!

unminuit, i LOVE the black dress with the lace detailing. it looks like it fits you perfectly. :flower:

redandnavy, I really do like those. And I'm a bit the same as you i, I do like some cutesy items, but I just end up not wearing them. But I do think these will work great with more classic/simple outfits ^_^

I actually went a bit crazy this January. But for once I had good sales karma so I guess it was stupid not to take advantage of it. And I do believe that all of the pieces has the potential to becomes classics.

I've just received these navy wool knee length shorts from COS, that I think I will be living in during spring and summer (especially on the colder days) and because of the color and the material I think they will work well worn over tights too. (Though, I have yet to try that).

And I've bought this leather utility dress with no sleeves that can be worn as a top or vest too. I'd been eyeing it for about a year, but hadn't bought it since it was too expensive. Luckily I found it in my size for 50 % off.

I also bought these nude moccasins from Surface to air, unfortunately they are about a size to big, :( I'll have to get a sole and see if that helps, if not they have to go back. Unless somebody has any other tips on how to solve that problem?

0114701_11_0.jpg
290.jpg

[cosstores.com & fashion156.com]

image1xl.jpg

[asos.com]

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words about my cherry shoes! I hope I will like them when they arrive!

Tinetush, I really like your purchases, expecially the moccasins. Those can be so comfy and yet classic looking! I have a pair of loafers that are my favorite pair of shoes... Shorts are a classic, too!

My shoes:

Congratulations :flower: I think whenever you really love something is totally the time to go for it!! I bet these will make you smile every time you put them on (priceless)!

I have a dog named Cherry ... and also a green apple pendant watch. Fruit motifs are fun :P

O magazine

I was just reading this interview with Steven Tyler and it reminded me of your shoes :wink:

Oprah: So you were worried about replacing Simon--or not worried?

Steven: America is a crazy place, Oprah. I thought maybe they might like someone who went, 'You suck, get outta here.' They might be used to that particular character on the show. But then I thought, You know, there's something about me that's enamoring. I thought I'd take a chance with compassion and love ...

Oprah: And playfulness.

Steven: And maybe fun--you know, not too stupid--could be the new black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betzaidanathaly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->