The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ta-ta: Well now... :D Where should I start? :lol:

First: Thanks so much for the suggestion with the down coat. Unfortunatelly, I fear that one is too long for me... :blush: It would probably go till the floor :lol: I'm really a dwarf, about 5'1''... So anything that is designed to go till the knee or below the knee on a model is totally too long for me. The Carven coat is the maximum length I can wear without being swallowed.

I have seen a down jacket that could look nice on me... The only thing that makes me scratch my head is that it is leather...:huh: Leather in winter? Leather with downs? Could that work? It has it's price, too. But it is a price that maybe I would be willing to pay if it really works. Anyway, I saw it online and can't try it on unless I actually order it. The return policy of the shop is okay, I've ordered there before and didn't have any problems. What do you think?

Oh - btw, I pinned the jacket in my fashion dreams :wink: There is also a burgundy version which could be nice with my color scheme as well (do you think the grey could work??). Plus there is dark green.

Now as to the priorities: It has been snowing here since yesterday and I've realized I really should invest in good winter outerwear :rolleyes: I still do have a down coat that I wore these two days but beloved and much worn as it is, I doubt it can survive another season. It's maybe about eight years old and was my close friend in many winter, but somehow it doesn't really work anymore PLUS it shows its age. It's a bit too tight as well - which hardly ever happens with my things :lol: (I wear a size XS btw, IT size 38 or US size 2).

So what I really should have:
  • Down jacket / down coat
  • Pair of boots
  • And probably also gloves, a hat and a scarf - I really don't have anything there and walked around without it during the last two winters...

As for the pumps, the dress, the jewellery... I think these things are important to make my wardrobe work, but they aren't the very first things I should focus on I guess :blush:

So coming to your leopard cardigan now... I haven't had the time yet to search more, but did I get it right that you liked the Dolce & Gabbana best and maybe the YSL, but that both were a bit too expensive and not in your size? I'll see what I can find in the next few days...

Just wanted to say I also pinned a skirt. While I'm not 100% sure the color of this would work, I think that a cut similar to this could work for my body. So if ever you see something with a nice color in a similar shape, maybe you let me know ^_^

And yes, I'm definitely not as focused as you are :lol:

^ I think you should go ahead and order the leather/down jacket and see how you like it. I think the grey would work well as a neutral ... it looks a little shiny, almost like a metallic, and metallics make great neutrals.

I can't believe you've gone without gloves for 2 years in your climate!! If I did that, my hands would fall off. I also get the most horrible earaches if I walk outside in a cold winter wind with nothing covering my ears.

Today after lunch I'm going to go see if I can't find some Dolce to try on for size. Neiman's claims that an Italian 44 is my size, so I'm going to see if they're right ...

I found a wool half sleeve sweater in the darker leopard print that I like ... the only problem is I'm allergic to wool and I know I can't wear it next to my skin. If I'm going to get wool, it really will have to be a cardigan.

Now ... does anyone else want to play? :flower: We can do this at the price point of your choice. I still buy many good pieces for < $100. And obviously these are just ideas ... that 'it' factor that makes something just exactly right for you is almost indefinable. But hopefully we can broaden our horizons a little here, and find some new sources and labels and possibilities to consider.

I was drawn tot his thread after realising that my wardrobe is full of impractical things which don't go together. So, I've decided to spend however long it takes to build up a decent capsule collection of good quality pieces.

I'm thinking of starting with this trench coat, in stone.
http://shop.mango.com/GB/p0/mango/c...150_N1&n=1&s=prendas&ie=0&m=&ts=1351034140756
mango.com

And these knee high boots.
http://www.office.co.uk/womens/office/general_knee_boot/17/12664/35693/1?fs=12664
office.com

The boots have a nice shape, they look very versatile and practical! Did you buy the itams already?

I'd also love others to play... Would be fun to have more input!

I think I've found another down jacket that could work for me. I pinned it. I love it's color and the shape could work, but I'd have to try. It is half the price of the other jacket... While I do love the other one very much, the price is a bit ... unpleasant. I think I might try the "cheaper" jacket first, see if it fits and if it doesn't then I could still think about spending a fortune on the Ventcouvert jacket. The quality of the teal jacket certainly must be good enough too last a few winters, too.

Looking forward to seeing what you say about the leopard cardigan.

And adding something about costs/prices: I know I spent quite a lot on my pieces which might be a bit of a turn off to some. I know I've critized H&M, Mango and Zara for their quality before and maybe that wasn't right. I had some bad experiences but maybe others do have a different point of view. Besides, I'm an oldie....:lol: I'm 33 years now and want my pieces to last 5 to 10 years at least. I think when I was in the beginning of my 20ties, I was experimenting a lot more so it didn't really matter when something fell apart after a season or two. So I bought a lot of cheaper stuff, and that was completely right back then!

Besides, I definitely think that there are some great stores/brands that are not the usual suspects/big designers. I have bought great pieces from local stores in different countries. Things of nice quality but without the designer price tag. So I agree with ta-ta, it's not about the money. The only thing is that when you want to spend less and still get good quality then you might have to be more patient and more creative, go thrift store shopping, discover smaller boutiques etc.

So I do hope we will have more people on here with different views!

^ The teal jacket is pretty--I like the color. The leather one looks like it's going to have a more flattering shape due to the difference in material ...

Well, I found the sweater in grey to try on in 42 and 46. God bless those Italians ... even the 42 had plenty of room on top. The way it's cut is very interesting. The sleeves are dropped and are raglan, and the bust is very roomy (plenty of room for more letters than I have ...) Then the sleeves narrow below the elbow. They are quite lovely. The wool is beautiful quality and very comfortable, and the knit design is quite interesting too. However, it's very tight around the hips. One online picture shows the top buttons buttoned and the bottom ones open, and I think that is how it's meant to be worn. But that's not how I wear my cardigans. The 46 was really too big (yet the right size at the hips), the 42 fit on top but was too small at the hips, so I think the 44 is my best bet. I will probably order & try it on ...

Just stopped by to mention ... it occurred to me that a lot of things are about to go on sale, so I may not need to pay retail for this. (Not sure when sales start in Europe, but Nordstrom's half-yearly sale is this weekend. Not sure exactly what will be going on sale when since it depends on ship date ...) There's a regular length cardigan that's less expensive, but the natural color seems to be harder to find than the grey or blue (there's also a vert). Continuing to look around ...

Just wanted to thank u for the help with the down jacket, Tata! I'm so glad that is done now... Imagine how well the earrings will go with it. ;-)

Hope you don't mind if I revive this thread. :flower:

I love this idea of the French wardrobe, I've read all the threads about it on here. :blush: I think I'm done with buying for winter, I'm too excited for the warmer months.

My shopping list includes:
  • some statement shoes - Already have my eye on a pair of silver oxfords, as posted in the Yay or nay? thread in the shoe category.
  • a neon and silver necklace - Loved the Zara and H&M necklaces, but missed out on them... Now searching for one on Etsy, but not having the best of luck. :/
  • a sequin clutch - Silver!
  • a sheer white blouse on which I can roll up the sleeves - Already found one for a great price from Vila, but it doesn't have pockets so I'm a bit hesitant...
  • black leather skirt - Found one online but really feel like I should try it on first, hopefully I won't have any issues if I want to return it.
  • some basic tees - I would love some suggestions here, I've been looking for the perfect tee for years. I want a V-neck, possibly with a pocket and really really soft!
  • a dress in pastel colours - Already picked this out and just have to order it now.

I find that I wear things that I buy online MUCH more than those impulse buys from H&M etc. So I'm trying to really scour the online stores that deliver to my country and so far, so good. ^_^

If you have any suggestions for me, please feel free to tell me!

The shoes:
image1xl.jpg

asos.com

The necklace I like:
fashion-squad.jpg

http://www.taffetaramblings.co.uk

Clutch:
4%20primark%20opt.jpg

http://www.shoutmag.co.uk

Shirt:
image1xl.jpg

asos.com

Skirt:
image4xl.jpg

asos.com

Tees, I love this T by Alexander Wang one:
T-by-Alexander-Wang-Classic-jersey-T-shirt.jpg

purseblog.com

The dress :heart:
image1xl.jpg

asos.com

I feel like I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is. By the way, I'm 21, really long hair, curvy, pear-shaped.

^ I'm going to suggest Gina Tricot for the shirt. I bought one in black like that, with pockets, and they had it in several colours (including white, red, etc). It was a couple of months ago and it isn't available anymore, I don't think; however, I've found that they offer it from time to time.

What I really need right now is:
- a bag. I'm not good at bags, so I don't have anything particular in mind, but I want it to be leather, unlike every cheap bag I own. Maybe a satchel.
- a watch. I want it to be stainless steel and a men's. My dad has a lot of old watches he doesn't wear, so I will look into those before buying one.

I think most of my shopping this year will be versatile blouses, maybe a good skirt/trousers, and quality knits. I've also wanted a breton sweater since forever, but that has been particularly hard.

^Yes, that is a great suggestion! I have been wanting to order from Gina Tricot for ages and I really like the Wilma shirt:

47326904701_m.jpg

ginatricot.com

Will have to wait to see if they get the one you mentioned back in stock, but this one is a great alternative. I love the fit and it says on the site that it's very soft ^_^

I'm joining you on the lookout for a men's watch.Since silver will be my accent colour, I would love to get one. I love this boyfriend style from ASOS (actually own it gold already, which is the only reason I'm hesitant about getting another:(

image4xl.jpg

asos.com

I'm also with you on the breton sweater... SO hard to find the perfect one!

Super excited to get my paycheck on Thursday - won't be able to spend too much, since I have to save up for a present (my BF's birthday is in February), but I think I'll get a few things from my list. :heart:

bassshoes

juliette, i have that wang T in black & quite like it. on the white shirt, i'd hold out for what you want. here's another shoe option ... bass wear like iron.

Attachments

• bass silver.jpg
    bass silver.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1
^Ah, you're lucky to have that shirt :heart: Yes, I think you're right about the sheer shirt - I really should wait for one with pockets. And these shoes you posted are lovely...

I have a lot of basic t-shirts from H&M and they all last me for years. I would never pay that much for Wang or any designer's ones.

^I don't want to either, but I've been looking for the perfect T-shirt for almost a year now and that's one of the only ones I like. I want a really soft one, light, maybe even semi-sheer. LOVE the one you posted in the Shopaholics thread, by the way. :flower:

it's def semi-sheer, btw--i was a little surprised when i got it home. i think what you're paying for is the cut (fabric is good too). i find the cut very flattering, & the neckline & pocket are pretty great too.

i wouldn't--or haven't--paid that much for a white T, but black can last several times longer. if you can try this on in person, that would be good ... i seem to recall some variation. tried it on in purple and lt grey (lighter than your pic i think)--black was the real winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know several people have been looking for a breton sweater ... this month's wishlist in bazaar mentions the cashmere kule by nikki kule for $265.

RE: Alexander Wang t-shirts. I have a few (one dark grey, almost black, one light grey, one purple and one indigo blue) and I love them. Everything about them is great - the cut, the fabric, the colour, the fit - and, if you take care of them properly, they will last.

The ones with the breast pocket fit the best IMO, and their fabric is not as sheer as the others. If your wardrobe relies heavily on t-shirts, like mine, these are a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Thank you fashionista-ta, I'm going to read that thread now!

I mentioned in another thread that I would like to wear my floral Docs with an A-line black dress. I think I might've just found the one! :woot: It's from COS, and is pleated in the back... I love it, but the material is poliester, so I'm not sure if I should get it. But it's seriously perfect otherwise!

0165856001_11_2.jpg
0165856001_11_3.jpg

cosstores.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabs
Back