The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to recommend an ashton kutcher project :ninja: but just read about his new t-shirt line ... the magazine says the fit is great. pickwickweller.com

if your morals preclude considering these, i completely understand ^_^

^Thank you fashionista-ta, I'm going to read that thread now!

I mentioned in another thread that I would like to wear my floral Docs with an A-line black dress. I think I might've just found the one! :woot: It's from COS, and is pleated in the back... I love it, but the material is poliester, so I'm not sure if I should get it. But it's seriously perfect otherwise!

cosstores.com

juliette this dress looks so great :heart:

lots of designers are using poly-blends these days so it might be ok imo ^_^

^Thank you! :flower: I think I'm going to get it, but I'll think about it a while longer. I'm so excited, my first order from COS! :D

I also took fashionista-ta's advice and put together a list of things I want to buy this year. This is only for accessories, mind you. Here it is:

• Acne Pistol boots in black
  • Chanel perfume (either Chance, Coco Noir or Coco Mademoiselle, I honestly love them all, but I'm leaning towards Chance as it would be perfect for spring)
  • Michael Kors watch (deciding between silver and rose gold, but will probably go for silver)
  • Alexander McQueen Skull Scarf (in white with black skulls)
  • Ray Ban sunglasses
  • Some stylish eyeglasses (I have a huge prescription and I would like to wear my glasses outside too, the ones I have are really beaten up after six years of daily use)

All this would cost around 1200€ and I hope to get at least half of the things from my list, that would make me really happy, because I've wanted all of these for years.

I would love to hear any opinions and suggestions about these things, especially the Pistol boots. Does anyone have them? How is the wear, are they worth it? I think they would be the perfect everyday boots for me. :smile:

I have been wearing Acne pistol boots just today!! :P I have a pair in mustard yellow and I love it! They are great since they are so comfortable, still have quite a heel and they look great with many things. Black might be even better with dark tights so this is definitely a great investment piece. The leather is beautiful, too! The only recommendation I have is to go down a half size if you normally take a half size. I think they only come in full sizes. I usually wear an Italian 36.5 and ordered a 37 - next time I'd take a 36.

They are definitely the best shoes for days like today when it's cold and you still have some snow lying around but you want to wear a heel. They are also great for spring and fall. Betinapple owns a pair of black Acne Pistols - so you might want to ask her opinion.

^Thank you! :flower: I think I'm going to get it, but I'll think about it a while longer. I'm so excited, my first order from COS! :D

I also took fashionista-ta's advice and put together a list of things I want to buy this year. This is only for accessories, mind you. Here it is:
  • Acne Pistol boots in black
  • Chanel perfume (either Chance, Coco Noir or Coco Mademoiselle, I honestly love them all, but I'm leaning towards Chance as it would be perfect for spring)
  • Michael Kors watch (deciding between silver and rose gold, but will probably go for silver)
  • Alexander McQueen Skull Scarf (in white with black skulls)
  • Ray Ban sunglasses
  • Some stylish eyeglasses (I have a huge prescription and I would like to wear my glasses outside too, the ones I have are really beaten up after six years of daily use)
All this would cost around 1200€ and I hope to get at least half of the things from my list, that would make me really happy, because I've wanted all of these for years.

I would love to hear any opinions and suggestions about these things, especially the Pistol boots. Does anyone have them? How is the wear, are they worth it? I think they would be the perfect everyday boots for me. :smile:

i know betinapple is also a big fan of her pistols :flower:

i think it's a good sign that you've wanted all these things for years ... that should mean they are 'you' & you'll love them for a long time to come.

i don't know alot about kors watches, but i'm sure the info is out there. if you like rose gold, you might also look at michele (i have one that's stainless steel). lots of fans of the skull scarves here.

as far as glasses, here anyway you're far better off buying the frames from the place that will make the lenses, so i'd do a thorough job shopping before buying them separately. i only had one pr of prescription sunnies & i think they were stolen. anyway, shortly after getting them they were gone. :( i was so disgusted i never replaced them :lol: no doubt you will not abandon yours with teenage boys around.

anyway, like your list ... & i think perfume is a good buy as it's such a mood lifter & is definitely part of personal style even though it can't be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2013 shopping list

My shopping list for 2013 is quite specific. I have spent a lot of time trying to decide what my ideal items are. I have found this sometimes helps me when shopping. If I see a decent black sweater in a shop I will put it back, because I know I am saving up for my "ideal" black sweater. Why should I then settle for a "decent" one that will move me further from my goal (by eating up my shopping budget)?

- Bella Freud 'Ginsberg is God' sweater. I have wanted this for so long and if I can't find one on Ebay, I'll hopefully be able to get it in London this summer:woot: (258 GBP)

- Small cognac leather shoulder-bag. I already have a bag from the same brand, but sometimes it is just too big, so I have my eyes set on another. I was going to buy a black basic handbag, but decided against it when I realized this shade of cognac goes with everything in my wardrobe anyway^_^ (200 USD)

- Oliver Peoples Vanadis sunglasses in tortoise: I think they have been discontinued:cry::angry:, but I am hoping a pair will end up on Ebay. (200 USD)

- Black Daniel Wellington Rose Gold watch: Ebay. *fingers crossed* (200 USD)

I am also looking for a red/ivory Breton sweater, but I have not located a perfect one yet:/ If it was PERFECT, I would be willing to pay up to 200 USD for a perfect one, but to be fair I would probably wait for it to show up on Ebay for half that. I know myself:rolleyes:

Have already purchased a second hand black fox waistcoat, some cashmere sweaters, a pair of ballet flats and a pair of cognac ankle boots that was on my listB) I am a fast shopper:innocent:

Body type & coloring (If anyone care:/:( hourglass-y, 5'5", copper red hair, hazel eyes.

(source: Bellafreud/etsy/opticsfast/danielwellington.com)

PS. anyone know if Pintrest is a valid source? Feels like cheating since I could just pin anything and save myself a lot of source-work.

Attachments

• faa9c8b026cfd0b89d4a646ccc88ebb8.jpg
    faa9c8b026cfd0b89d4a646ccc88ebb8.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2
  • ed51a452c22a9d97edd13fafd3772f71.jpg
    ed51a452c22a9d97edd13fafd3772f71.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 5ae8f74a9b61192117a47c1fcd8c8430.jpg
    5ae8f74a9b61192117a47c1fcd8c8430.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Oliver-Peoples-Vanadis.jpg
    Oliver-Peoples-Vanadis.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
^I love that sweater, eizhowa! :heart:

RedandNavy Thank you for the reply. :flower: I think I'm going to start saving up for them! I'm going on and on about my paycheck, but I should REALLY get it today, plus I'm getting paid for doing some translations for my uncle, so I'll put about 250€ towards them. :woot: That's exactly why I love them - there is a heel, but they seem very comfortable, perfect for everyday wear! I think they would look great in the spring time too. Black would be the most versatile colour for me, and I feel like it will really elongate my legs since I wear black tights basically every day (I have really short legs and a long torso, so anything to help me in that area I welcome with open hands!). About the sizing, I actually have huge feet, probably because I'm so tall. :lol: Mine are a EU size 41, which is the largest size they make, I'm so glad they have them in my size. So I think I'll just get my regular size, I hope they fit perfectly. By the way, where did you order yours from? I'm thinking NAP would be the best option? I'm from Europe, so if I order from the States, I will pay insane amounts for tax, shipping and other things... :unsure:

fashionista-ta Thank you for the lovely advice, as always. :heart: I'll wait to see if Betinapple comes to this thread, otherwise I'll just send her a PM. I do love rose gold watches, but I want a silver one first, I feel like it's a lot more versatile and goes with my skintone better! I already have an inexpensive gold watch, but it really doesn't suit my complexion, so I don't wear it all that much.

By the way, I mentioned my list to my boyfriend and he was horrified. :D I showed him the Pistol boots and he nearly choked when I told him the price. It's REALLY difficult buying the things that I want and saving for quality items when I live in an enviroment like this. We ended up having a nice talk and he said I *should* go for quality over quantity, after all this is money I've earned myself by working. And in exchange I won't bug him about his PS3 :lol: But yesterday, when I was shopping with my mom, she thought the 40€ for the Zara striped sweater was outrageous... We're so used to spending less money and buying more things. I don't even know what I'm going to do when I start buying the things from my list, I'd rather just not tell them the price, because they'll just be 'disappointed' in me... :(

Juliette: I bought mine at Mytheresa.com, you might want to check that out. It's based in Germany and they include taxes in the final price so you won't get anohter 100 Euro UPS bill later on... :rolleyes:NAP is my other favorite store for luxury online shopping, never had any problems with the.

Wanted to say about the skull scarf: I own one in a dirty but light shade of pink with beige skulls. I bought it maybe three years ago, it doesn't really fit into my color scheme though. Anyway, I like it and think the good thing is that the color of the scarf and the color from the skulls isn't that different. Which means the skulls aren't noticable at first sight. In my opinion, that makes it a bit less "in your face" and a bit more versatile because I can even wear it to the office without people noticing. Just worth a thought.

Jill Sander apparently grew up with a mother who used to say "we're too poor to buy cheap". If you don't have tons of money you definitely SHOULD spend it wisely. Doesn't mean you'll always need a 2000 Euro Dolce & Gabbana dress but some key pieces like trench coats, cashmere sweaters or versatile and classic shoes are definitely worth an investment.

eizhowa: GREAT items on your list! I especially love that little cognac bag, so pretty!!

RedandNavy Thank you for the great advice again, I've browsed MyTheresa.com before and it's a great site, I think I'll order from there! I don't even think I'll have to pay taxes, because it ships from the EU! Just the shipping. I'm hoping to get them by April, I think I'll have enough saved up by the middle of March, then I just have to order them and wait for the shipping!

That is actually a great suggestion and you really gave me something to think about. I think these scarves can look tacky if worn in the wrong way, but the one you described sounds lovely. It would go really well with my wardrobe too, since it's quite monochromatic and I wear a lot of pinks and beiges, too. I'm thinking it would work great for work too, because the skulls are very subtle. Wow, I'm really excited about it now. :woot: The only problem is where to get it, because I checked all the sites I know that carry these scarves and they don't have it. I hope it comes back in stock?

And again, great words to finish with. :flower: I'll tell my mom and BF that, I wonder what they'll say. My mom nearly disowned me when I told her the price of the scarf a few years ago. But my theory is, since I'm not buying it from money I got from my parents or as birthday presents, it will be the money I earned myself, so I can spend it as I choose. :smile:

By the way, I mentioned my list to my boyfriend and he was horrified. :D I showed him the Pistol boots and he nearly choked when I told him the price. It's REALLY difficult buying the things that I want and saving for quality items when I live in an enviroment like this. We ended up having a nice talk and he said I *should* go for quality over quantity, after all this is money I've earned myself by working. And in exchange I won't bug him about his PS3 :lol: But yesterday, when I was shopping with my mom, she thought the 40€ for the Zara striped sweater was outrageous... We're so used to spending less money and buying more things. I don't even know what I'm going to do when I start buying the things from my list, I'd rather just not tell them the price, because they'll just be 'disappointed' in me... :(

I can completely relate to this! I don't even tell my family about my purchases anymore. When I bought two pairs of tall leather boots in London last year I told my mother that it was "buy one, get one half-off" just to save her the shock:blink: I would feel guilty if it weren't for the fact that practically all her nice shoes are hand-me-downs from me:P

I think it such a shame that people hardly ever invest in anything. The shops reflect peoples fast-fashion approach to shopping. There are hardly any shops that sell decent quality, and even many of the expensive shops only sell basics:( Luckily I am not afraid of online shoppingB)

Redandnavy and Juliette: Thank you for your nice comments:flower:

I guess we're in the same boat, eizhowa :( Well, at least we have this forum for support, I love it here and everyone is so nice and gives great advice! I'll rather just keep my purchases to myself, I won't lie about the price, but I'll just say they were expensive and that I saved up for them myself.

Now I'm busy making another list, this one for clothing. I have quite a few items on it, and I'm excited to start building my wardrobe. My clothing rack already looks great, and I've just uploaded some photos to an online site where I can sell the things I don't wear anymore - all money I make will be put towards the Pistols :woot:

Luckily my boyfriend understand the meaning of quality. Which is why the dining room chairs we are going to order tomorrow are double the price that we were planning and we ended up purchasing the expensive blender instead of a cheaper model. Oh, and next week a cleaning assistant is taking care of our appartment. He is the true big spender of our relationsship :lol:

I do know how hard it is "defending" your quality items but I know many girls who spend just as much money as I do on clothes without getting their moneys worth the least bit because they buy "half-perfect" items.

@Juliette: I will recommend the ACNE pistols boot for anyone who will listen :lol: I love, love mine. I wear them 3 or 4 times a week and has had the thingy (what is the name of that?) on the heel changed two times because I wear them all the time. I have had mine for a year and the leather still looks gorgeous. They go well with all sorts of things; mini skirts, jeans, dresses and even my full skirts. The only thing in my wardrobe they do not go with is one midiskirt and my pencilskirt. I think they sizing is a bit big. I have mine in a size 36 but could have bought a 35. I just like them a tad big - space for a wool sock if I want. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else :smile:

EDIT: oh, and they are super comfy!

I know this does not sound very high quality, but I bought my sequin clutch at ebay. Costed me 4 GBP. Being a trend item I did not want to spend a lot of money on it and it is fine for the purpose I bought it. Maybe you should check out that possibility? It is now Dolce, Yves or Vuitton but the quality is fine. I do try not buying anything that I do not want to spend a lot of money on since I take it as a sign that I do not want it that much in the first place but sometime a somewhat cheap accesorie can be great. I have used mine quite a lot and is considering buying a blue one.

My list ATM:

- Black jacket. Possibly a leather jacket.
- Black pumps. Still not sure wether I should get those or not.
- Nude pumps. Same as the black pumps.
- Black blouse. Still not sure how it should look but I would like a ladylike and maybe a tad dramatic look. Maybe I'll sew it myself.
- Tan everyday bag. Possibly vintage.
- Baseball shirt. This is still a "maybe" piece since this is one of those thing I do not want to pay a lot of money for. I am considering making it myself.
- Striped fullskirted dress.

I am having a hard time with lists ATM since I do not feel like I really NEED anything and therefore musthavelists confuse me. Do any of you know that feeling? The only thing on the above list that I could REALLY use is the jacket.

Betinapple Thank you so much for offering your perspective! :flower: I'm really excited to hear that they're so great, just as I was hoping! I hope, if I sell some of my unworn clothing, that I'll be able to order them in the beginning of March! It's good to know that you can get the heel thingy :P replaced as well. Do you mind me asking where you got yours from?

By the way, great minds think alike :D I was also going to order a sequin clutch on Ebay. They're just so inexpensive it would be a shame not to... Now I'm rethinking it because I really want to have nice quality items in my wardrobe, but I'm still tempted. A designer one would be so expensive!

@Juliette: It is easily done. I have the best shoe guy in the world. I deliver my shoes and pick them up again within the hour :lol: I can not live without them. I do not mind you asking at all - ask away. I got mine at the ACNE store at Copenhagen. They have a webshop as well but I am not sure wether they ship to Slovenia.

I am all for spending your money wisely but I am very happy about my sequin clutch even though it was cheap. I think my Y-MAIL patent leather clutch was a much better place to put a lot of money than a sequined one which is not only a trend item but also a lot more fragile.

Eizhowa, you should check the new collection from Massimo Dutti, if you have a store in Norway. I immediately thought of you when I saw the bags in cognac.
They have a lot od Breton striped sweaters now too, for those who are interested. I find their quality really great.

Juliette, I love love love COS, it's actually one of my favourite brands and the quality is extraordinary. Some of my favourite items from my wardrobe are from there and I wear them with joy.
The only thing I'm not crazy about are their basic T-shirts, because the seams are turning in all the wrong ways after washing. I own two of them and they are the same. Overpriced too, but the rest is flawless.

I second your wishes for Acne Pistol boots AND a Michael Kors watch, I'm lusting over a gold one, but in a kind of different design from the one that you're able to saw on every blog. :ninja:
I recommend you checking the Slowatch here, I saw quite a lot of models in the window store, but I quickly passed by. :innocent:

RedandNavy Thank you for the reply. :flower: I think I'm going to start saving up for them! I'm going on and on about my paycheck, but I should REALLY get it today, plus I'm getting paid for doing some translations for my uncle, so I'll put about 250€ towards them. :woot: That's exactly why I love them - there is a heel, but they seem very comfortable, perfect for everyday wear! I think they would look great in the spring time too. Black would be the most versatile colour for me, and I feel like it will really elongate my legs since I wear black tights basically every day (I have really short legs and a long torso, so anything to help me in that area I welcome with open hands!). About the sizing, I actually have huge feet, probably because I'm so tall. :lol: Mine are a EU size 41, which is the largest size they make, I'm so glad they have them in my size. So I think I'll just get my regular size, I hope they fit perfectly. By the way, where did you order yours from? I'm thinking NAP would be the best option? I'm from Europe, so if I order from the States, I will pay insane amounts for tax, shipping and other things... :unsure:

fashionista-ta Thank you for the lovely advice, as always. :heart: I'll wait to see if Betinapple comes to this thread, otherwise I'll just send her a PM. I do love rose gold watches, but I want a silver one first, I feel like it's a lot more versatile and goes with my skintone better! I already have an inexpensive gold watch, but it really doesn't suit my complexion, so I don't wear it all that much.

if rose gold doesn't look good with your skin, not for you then :flower: my skin is pink, so perfect for me. when i was little someone gave me a scottish rose gold & garnet ring, & i still love both. (the garnet popped out of its setting after many years, & i had the gold melted down to make something else--still have some left.)

i posted about family in the main thread ... with them it doesn't really need to be discussed, but with a partner it is germane once you begin to pool some money & make financial decisions together. if he doesn't share your interest (a nice to have), i think viewing it as your hobby is perfect. every guy has a car, a boat, or something ... this is my sports car.

no one in my real life knows who made my stuff unless they come over to my house & see a label. i was kinda raised not to discuss money, so ... no issue :D

people at work sometimes ask where i bought something ... if nordstrom or barney's i will say so, otherwise i resort to the name of the mall.

and that's all i know about keeping people in the dark about the origins of my wardrobe :lol:

PS that thingy is a heel cap :wink:

My list ATM:

- Black jacket. Possibly a leather jacket.
- Black pumps. Still not sure wether I should get those or not.
- Nude pumps. Same as the black pumps.
- Black blouse. Still not sure how it should look but I would like a ladylike and maybe a tad dramatic look. Maybe I'll sew it myself.
- Tan everyday bag. Possibly vintage.
- Baseball shirt. This is still a "maybe" piece since this is one of those thing I do not want to pay a lot of money for. I am considering making it myself.
- Striped fullskirted dress.

I am having a hard time with lists ATM since I do not feel like I really NEED anything and therefore musthavelists confuse me. Do any of you know that feeling? The only thing on the above list that I could REALLY use is the jacket.

on the pumps, i think you should see if there is truly a hole in your wardrobe. i usually feel the need for pumps only when i have an interview or serious meeting. since you work in a different sector, those types of occasions for you may not even call for them ...

if you really prefer ballets, so much better to add a fun pair than a boring pair of pumps if they won't really help you ...

what about a blouse with a great big bow ... do you like those?

does mulberry have any tan bags you like?

Betinapple Thanks again! I think I'll just order from NAP or MyTheresa, these seem to be the best options for my location. I need to find a good shoe guy too, then! :D I've never even had my shoes fixed, I just kind of accepted the fact that after a season or two, they were toast! Terrible mentality. Now I'll definitely look into it. :flower:

Jinadaze Ooooh, thank you for the encouraging words! Do you have anything from them that is poliester? The dress I want is from that fabric and I'm a bit hesitant about getting it, since I'm trying to buy better materials. But it's soooo pretty! :P Yes yes, Slowatch is where I plan to get mine, I don't think ASOS delivers them to Slovenia, so that's the best option. Just to let you know, my mom has a Micheal Kors watch (the only thing she really splurges on are watches) and she's very very happy with it, which is part of the reason why I want mine from this brand. Hope you'll love yours too :heart:

fashionista-ta Thank you, too! :flower: I definitely agree with the part of discussing one's purchases with a partner, I think it's important to be honest here. My mom bought some things on our shopping trip and hid them from dad. :D But I tell my BF about everything I want even before I buy it, and now he's really supportive, because he knows how much I think about these purchases and that they'll really be part of my wardrobe for a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarestjewel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->