The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ It's the same with me, though I still love to look for stuff, online 'shopping' without buying anything relaxes me. What can I say, I like to watch beautiful things. :wink: It's liberating not to feel the urge for shopping just for the sake of it.
Now that I checked the following items from my shopping list for Spring out I think I won't purchase anything for months:

- waistcoat
- black skirt
- heeled sandals
- necklace

The last two I got as a gift and I don't count basic tees and hosiery as items.

my screenshot, obv

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-04-17 at 10.02.31 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-17 at 10.02.31 PM.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 13
r&n, aqua seems like it might be more natural with teal than mint ... however, I don't know what specific pieces you're looking at wearing the blouse with.

jinadaze, I thought the shoes were all black :ninja: I need to peer at them again ... love shoes as a place to bring in some color.

@Jina: I absolutely can not do that! I would rather avoid getting tempted. Wish I could though.

I haven't decided for how long I wanna keep not purchasing anything but I think maybe untill June. For starters at least.

r&n, aqua seems like it might be more natural with teal than mint ...

I agree with this. Teal and mustard (which seems to me to be your "dominant" yellow tone? But I could be wrong) feel too strong to me to go well with mint. Of course, I think this could be balanced out by things such a skintone, other pieces it's worn with, etc.

I love online window shopping too :smile: I actually don't feel very tempted when doing it. Most of the time it even helps me keeping things in perspective - the more I look at one piece without the "pressure" that one has, in real life, of trying it on and taking it home because who knows when I'll have time to go shopping again, makes it easier to think it over. For me, at least.

interesting to read how 'online window shopping' has such different benefits for everyone! for me, simply 'looking at pretty things' is a big part of it. very calming :wink:

I wore my adidas sneakers yesterday, and oh my, the comfy-ness! I wouldn't say that I own any shoes that are uncomfortable, but these really are on a different level. exactly what I wanted. I wore them with my wide-legged vanessa bruno jeans, I'm afraid I looked a little 'american tourist'. heh. or maybe it wasn't that bad.

I also put some items in my closet in 'winter storage' (a.k.a. the clear plastic boxes on the floor of my closet) - it's not exactly full-blown summer yet, it's hardly even really spring, but I needed to shake things up a little. I left the items that I like the most, and I took out a few pieces from my summer things, so I can bringing them into rotation. it'll be mostly as layering pieces for now, but who knows... warmer temperatures are bound to hit some day in the next... 4 months :smile:
it was just a small change-up, but my wardrobe feels refreshed.

I also realized I own about 6 different grey skirts. all very different in shade, material and cut, but still!

interesting to read how 'online window shopping' has such different benefits for everyone! for me, simply 'looking at pretty things' is a big part of it. very calming :wink:

I wore my adidas sneakers yesterday, and oh my, the comfy-ness! I wouldn't say that I own any shoes that are uncomfortable, but these really are on a different level. exactly what I wanted. I wore them with my wide-legged vanessa bruno jeans, I'm afraid I looked a little 'american tourist'. heh. or maybe it wasn't that bad.

I also put some items in my closet in 'winter storage' (a.k.a. the clear plastic boxes on the floor of my closet) - it's not exactly full-blown summer yet, it's hardly even really spring, but I needed to shake things up a little. I left the items that I like the most, and I took out a few pieces from my summer things, so I can bringing them into rotation. it'll be mostly as layering pieces for now, but who knows... warmer temperatures are bound to hit some day in the next... 4 months :smile:
it was just a small change-up, but my wardrobe feels refreshed.

:rofl: oh, dear ...

glad to hear they're so comfortable! :woot:

It's cool again here today after a rain ... I may have to go dig a cardigan out of my back closet ...

This week was great! Lots of different temperatures that made me wear some of my (relatively) new items. My new Philipp Lim sweater, the Acne denim jacket, my Ferragamo flats that I bought after Xmas, my Roger Vivier kitten heels... It did feel fresh and new, even if most items I wore were items that I have owned for years.

I think I am getting a better feeling of what I'll get in May, but I'm not really decided yet. But I also think that's the last thing I'll get before the sales. There are plenty of tops out there that I like and I think with some good planning I'll make a good buy when the sales start. I've recently realized again that I don't need as many items as I thought. The changing weather in spring/summer lets you wear many different clothes automatically and there is no need to have 10 items in each category - 2 to 3 are totally enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ glad you're enjoying your new (and older) pieces.

last weekend I wore a black cotton sweater & lavender linen gored skirt I bought in 2007 (as I now know from my recent review :wink:) with my new sandals. loved the combination ...

have been noticing the selection seems a bit sparse this time of year for long-sleeved blouses. seems there are many more short & sleeveless ones available ...

Tata: Thanks so much for all the shirt suggestions! Actually just before many off them came in yesterday I found a solution - hopefully. I was looking for long-sleeved blouses a lot in the past few weeks and saw several nice things but not too big a collection. So when I found something on farfetch that really "made sense" - if you know what I mean - I decided to get it now. It is, however, not really a shirt and also a cut that I have no experience with, so I'll have to try it on and see if I am as lucky as I thought.

Equipment shirts: I loved several of those Equipment shirts! Definitely something I need to keep in mind! Does anyone know if the "Signature" is a bit slimmer than the "Brett"? I wouldn't want it to be too oversized.

Anyway, I'll have to wait a few days till I see if my idea with the blouse works out. I'll let you know.

So much for not shopping.

This weekend a deal-site had a voucher for 800 DKK to spend at my favourite jewelry designer Zarah Voigt, for only half the price. Since I have wanted a pair of earrings from that excact label for over a year but never really find the time to buy them since I never buy expensive jewelry for myself, I went ahead and bought it.

Still planning on taking a break from shopping now. I do not NEED anything. I want to save some money so me and my boyfriend can go on a vacation in the summer and also I have bought 5 out of the 10 pieces I am planning on getting this season. Mainly items for winter though:

- MDK chelsea boots
- FCUK cocktail dress
- Grey woolen sweater
- Dusty pink woolen sweater
- Printed silk dress

Just like Jina and twistelette, I really enjoy doing online window shopping, pinning and then removing item :smile:

I have cleaned my closet again and I really love my wardrobe as it is but alas.. I took a time out from uni and found a job at a hospital (for a year, which could become part time as I resume my study) as an administrator/clerk. The dress code is really smart and I only own 2 pencil skirts (one grey and one white), 2 "smart" dresses (in white and one black). I think I need to add
- 2 pair of wool trousers (I don't have any trouser)
- 1 trench (my combo coat/scarf/beanie is not working). I am thinking of getting something "cheap", like the D&G I pinned recently or Tory Burch, not Burberry and not wool.
- 1 pair of lanvin ballerina flats - thinking of getting the red pair
- 2 pair of comfortable and good looking black pumps (I think I will go for the 75/85mm louboutin)
- 2 blouses ( I have none)
- 2 shirts (I have none - I loved the white ralph lauren and the ensley I pinned)
- 1 pair of studs earrings (anita ko)
- 1 good looking scarf (probably the grey duffy)
Do you think it would work for all seasons and in the long run? I will call it my caspule work wardrobe :lol:

I am quite bummed.. I really did love my wardrobe as it is but while interviewing I really did realize how "casual" it is :/

Twistelette, glad you found the perfect pair of sneakers and felt like a toursit :lol:
Jina: will you be posting your outfit with your new shoes in the combination thread?
Red: so glad that you are loving your wardrobe and your new pieces ! I know how great it is to see old and new mix nicely together and "rediscover" hidden gems :smile:

Just like Jina and twistelette, I really enjoy doing online window shopping, pinning and then removing item :smile:

I have cleaned my closet again and I really love my wardrobe as it is but alas.. I took a time out from uni and found a job at a hospital (for a year, which could become part time as I resume my study) as an administrator/clerk. The dress code is really smart and I only own 2 pencil skirts (one grey and one white), 2 "smart" dresses (in white and one black). I think I need to add
- 2 pair of wool trousers (I don't have any trouser)
- 1 trench (my combo coat/scarf/beanie is not working). I am thinking of getting something "cheap", like the D&G I pinned recently or Tory Burch, not Burberry and not wool.
- 1 pair of lanvin ballerina flats - thinking of getting the red pair
- 2 pair of comfortable and good looking black pumps (I think I will go for the 75/85mm louboutin)
- 2 blouses ( I have none)
- 2 shirts (I have none - I loved the white ralph lauren and the ensley I pinned)
- 1 pair of studs earrings (anita ko)
- 1 good looking scarf (probably the grey duffy)
Do you think it would work for all seasons and in the long run? I will call it my caspule work wardrobe :lol:

I am quite bummed.. I really did love my wardrobe as it is but while interviewing I really did realize how "casual" it is :/

Twistelette, glad you found the perfect pair of sneakers and felt like a toursit :lol:
Jina: will you be posting your outfit with your new shoes in the combination thread?
Red: so glad that you are loving your wardrobe and your new pieces ! I know how great it is to see old and new mix nicely together and "rediscover" hidden gems :smile:

I love online window shopping, too! Gives you so many ideas... And pinning the stuff shows you which ideas were good and which were... well... bad.

Now about your job: it's true, new jobs can be situations were you need a few new pieces. But I'd try not to get everything you think you need at once. Try to prioritize and only get what is really really essential at first.

My thoughts:
- One pair of good wool trousers. Try to get one at first. If it's a very classic piece it won't matter if you wear it to death. Wearing it a lot might give you new ideas what you'd prefer in a second pair that you might buy later.
- Do you have a classic skirt? Might be an alternative.
- Trench: Why not Burberry? Just curious. Not that it must be Burberry but a trench is probably not an item where you must look for cheap. Good quality can last at least a decade.
- You already have two pair of Lanvin flats... Try not to make a third pair the most urgent purchase :wink:
- Pumps: I think one pair might be enough for the first months. You can bring in some change with the ballet flats. Plus you might need a shoe for bad weather later, like a brogue or a classic boot. Btw, personally I do own a pair of Louboutin 70mm I bought years ago and I find them to be super uncomfortable. But I guess other people don't...
- Shirt: White shirts are something you don't need to spend a fortune on, in my opinion. They won't last for too long anyway. Would you want to buy two white shirts or a white one and a different one?
- Do you own a good blazer? With a blazer you can dress up most tops, even if they look casual to you now.

Do they have strict rules written down (like white shirt, black pants and blazer, black pumps...)? If not, try to work with a simple uniform in the beginning and then time will tell whether the dress code is as strict as you think it to be or whether there are ways to dress up the pieces you already own.

And last but not least: Congratulations on your job!!!

- Grey woolen sweater
I want one too, since my old one fell apart for too much wear - I really miss having one. Please let me know about any grey sweaters you find :smile:

Eva, I know that feeling. Last year I took a short course and it had a dress code (yes... a course with a dress code...) and I had to buy a couple of pieces for that. I bought two pairs of trousers and a blouse, and let me say: I found that good trousers (or a skirt, I guess - I don't wear those much...) can make any outfit look dressier than it is. People would tell me how dressed up I was when I wore an old black tee and nice grey trousers. I find the opposite (a nice blouse with jeans) doesn't work as well.
I do think your list would work fine, but RedandNavy offers great advice. One of my biggest issues/fears with so much cleaning up of the closet as you did would be your "I have none"s... I think a too-reduced wardrobe won't be functional for every situation. That and being left naked due to a laundry delay (raining, for example - we don't have a dryer) :lol:

I haven't bought anything this month except for underwear. I haven't had the time to go shopping with my parents for my birthday present, but I'll definitely get a white button-up.
I found a nicely discounted red dress that doesn't look too short by French Connection on ASOS, and am probably going to get it. I might buy a pair of trousers too. I have four pairs (including jeans) that I can wear year-round. I wear trousers a lot and - this might sound gross - I have a habit to avoid washing them for long periods of time, because overwashing really ruins how they fit. I rotate them, of course, but this inevitably leads to my having two pairs away for laundering and, being the klutz I am, spilling ice-cream on the other pair (yes, this happened the other day).

Betinapple: you know what, everyone I ever heard about a shopping 'fast' - well, I've never heard of anyone doing it without breaking the 'fast' at one point or another. and they all felt so bad about themselves! don't feel like that :smile: the important factor here is what you wrote earlier, that you feel that you have everything you need to get dressed in a way that you feel good about every day - for the forseeable future. if you let that feeling/realization remain on the forefront of your brain, you'll be alright. even if you get some pretty new jewelery you've been wanting and contemplating for a long time.

EvaH: congrats on your new job! I think R&N gave some good advice, I agree with everything she said. though I would get pretty warm in the summertime if I had to wear wool trousers - but it all depends on what kind of wool you'll get. and maybe there's airco in your new workplace... take your time so that you know what factors you need to factor in :smile:

R&N: I have no experience wearing Equipment shirts, but I have seen them in shops, and they look just plain gorgeous.

Will do my best. :wink:
Here we have such an unstable weather that I just don't wanna get caught in the rain, so I didn't wear them yet. Both my boyfriend and father, who is an expert on leather (worked in producing of leather goods for 20 years) think they are amazing. :D

Congrats on the job! :woot::flower:
R&N gave you so many great advices and I think too that you really should wait some time and not buy everything at once. Since you wanted to buy all the stuff from your wishlist some time ago and than done the complete opposite - got rid of a huge amount of pieces, working just with 30 or so staples, I think you have to take some time and really rethink every desition to avoid regretting it. IMO impulsive decisions aren't any good for anyone in most cases.
:wink:

Hey, you guys give good advice :wink:

Just stopped by to mention that as I'm starting to get into spring, noticing a few things I could use ...

• new wallet (current one is showing wear)
  • lightweight black cardigan (I have two that are 3/4 sleeve for transitional weather, but not for when it gets warmer), similar to short sleeved red Marni one (such a great cardigan, possibly a once in a lifetime find, but ... as close as I can get)
  • new black flats (have a pair that I've had for many years now and they still serve a purpose, but it would be nice to have another pair as well)
Nothing tremendously urgent, but some things to think about for later on. Since warm weather here can extend into December and starts again (intermittently) in February, it makes sense to weight purchases in that direction where possible ... (and probably the reverse is true for most of you here).

Betinapple: you know what, everyone I ever heard about a shopping 'fast' - well, I've never heard of anyone doing it without breaking the 'fast' at one point or another. and they all felt so bad about themselves! don't feel like that :smile: the important factor here is what you wrote earlier, that you feel that you have everything you need to get dressed in a way that you feel good about every day - for the forseeable future. if you let that feeling/realization remain on the forefront of your brain, you'll be alright. even if you get some pretty new jewelery you've been wanting and contemplating for a long time.

I did feel a bit bad about spending a lot this month (although I actually havent spent a lot, I just bought more items at once than I usually do. Actually I spent less than the past couple of months.

But I feel good about my decission, especially after your clever advice. Because you are right. Buying a lot of stuff ment that I now have what I need and have been needing for a long time (extra boots, sweaters).

@Eva: I think Red offers great advice. You barely never need as much stuff as you think. What is it that you have in your wardrobe at this point? Can I see it somewhere.

@Barbaraa: not sure I was clear but those are what I already bought. I found a really cheap (23$) sweater and bought that in grey and dusty pink. They were marked down a lot.

@Red: I really love how it feels mixing new and old items. So great to find new ways to combine things. Bet the Philip Lim sweater and the ACNE jacket looks great together as well.

@Ta-ta:
good thinking about prioritizing clothing for the most dominating season. I must admit that although almost all of my purchases this season has been for winter I do not care since we have had so little spring untill now anyway.

Me:
forgot to tell you that I bought a lipstick too. Did not have to spend money since I had a gift certificate It is a real nice update since I only have a bright red one. I bought YSL rouge volupté #11 which is sort of a fuschia colour. Wore it to the wedding it went to yesterday with a dress and bag from '11 and shoes and fascinator from '10. Felt great.

I am thinking about buying one more colour in May to get a small update but without buying clothes. I think I will go for pink or burgundy. Also I will get some new jewelry for the gift certificate i bought so I guess I will be fine not shopping untill June. Hopefully.

Thank you for all the advices !
I really don't want to go shopping but I think only the 2 dresses and the 2 pencil skirts would be okay. My job is at a hospital so air con is definitely an option :smile:
I think I will just invest in one wool trouser (I don't want to get something else as I can get really really cold and that way I will be able to use it later on). I am definitely not a blouse type (I prefer simple/unfussy top or shirts) so if I can do what Barbara recommend and avoid getting them, I will take the opportunity ! I only own one pair of flat (brought back the metallic ones). They currently are my only pair and I don't want to not have a back up. I think they will be/are my "summer" go to shoes. As for the pump you are right; one pair might be enough so I will just keep my cheap pair (20£) and see how they hold up being constantly worn. I already have boots so I am fine with it :smile: I have 3 blazer (red, white & black) so this is sorted. As for the trench, I don't plan on keeping it around for my personal use nor do I plan to spend much time on it or give it much importance. It will just be for work and I was told that stuff get stolen there ^^
So I guess it will be
- 1 pair of wool trouser
- 1 white shirt (I will use my mango & Zara t-shirts if not wearing the shirt )
- 1 trench coat
- 1 scarf
- 1 pair of earrings
But as you all said I am going to start with my current wardrobe and see how it works. If I can avoid getting anything but the earrings/(scarf)/trench, I will gladly do it !

Betina: glad to hear you are feeling better with your choices. Don't feel guilty for taking care of yourself IMO, it is definitely not as if buying clothes were depriving your from buying stuff for your house, or have a social life or travel with your boyfriend. Plus you really only did get what you needed :smile:
Posted via Mobile Device

betina: lipstick, yes! I need to remember to wear mine more often. evah: that sounds like a good list. maybe think about getting a good blazer as well? like R&N said, a good blazer can office-ify a lot of tops. me: I needed a new scarf to go with my new coat - I have a lovely chocolate brown silk scarf that I got from a friend a couple of years ago, and it looks great, but it is so silky that the slightest gust of wind will make it fly off my neck. I mean, seriously. a scarf flying in the wind is romantic for a minute or so, and then it just gets too high-maintainance for me, having to keep adjusting it. so. I remembered this image I saw on The Sartorialist a couple years ago, this girl had made her scarf by knotting together two pashmina scarfs she got from a street vendor for $5 each. (my browser is acting up again, and won't let me insert an image...) it looks so good. yesterday, I found some viscose pashminas at a store that sells household goods (you know, cleaning supplies, coffee makers, ugly plates and knick-knacks - I was there for some cleaning supplies... why they would start selling pashminas as well, nobody knows, but I'll go with it :smile:), for 2 euro each. I couldn't decide between the caramel ones and one in a lovely warm sand colour, so I got two of BOTH. oh, the extravagance! :wink: so now I have two lovely new scarfs, for 8 euro total. the sand one also goes really well with my Vanessa Bruno winter coat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->