The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the drawbacks of a "4-5 piece french wardrobe thread" is that people seem to shop less, and there is no activity. Hopefully it will pick up at the start of May:D I need some distraction from reading and cramming too much law theory:yuk:

I bought my May item (it is not cheating if it arrives in May, right?:wink:). A pair of washed silk Helmut Lang cropped trousers. I can hopefully cross "grey silk trousers" of my list now:smile:

I actually woke up dreaming about silk drawstring trousers and leather sandals the other day... Completely normal:P

Thenandnowshop
351182_in_l.jpg

One of the drawbacks of a "4-5 piece french wardrobe thread" is that people seem to shop less, and there is no activity. Hopefully it will pick up at the start of May:D I need some distraction from reading and cramming too much law theory:yuk:

I bought my May item (it is not cheating if it arrives in May, right?:wink:). A pair of washed silk Helmut Lang cropped trousers. I can hopefully cross "grey silk trousers" of my list now:smile:

I actually woke up dreaming about silk drawstring trousers and leather sandals the other day... Completely normal:P

Thenandnowshop
*Please do not quote the images*

I aggree. I love discovering tons of new posts in this thread. They are often very inspiring.

Gorgeous pants hope they will fit like a glove :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thenandnowshop

That is too funny ... I'm not sure I've ever had a dream about clothes :wink: Love the color of your pants.

I am focused on other things than my wardrobe right now ... I won't mention recent thrilling purchases such as an oil pan, axle boot, etc. :rolleyes: I went plant shopping today & was actually quite thrilled to find two types of lavender I've never seen before. (I have a flower bed that is all lavender--except for one mint plant--each plant a different type. A couple plants didn't survive the harsh winter, so I needed some new ones.)

Just stopped by to say RIP silver grey voile Marc Jacobs blouse. I had mentioned awhile back that it had been mended in order to wear it a few more times--turned out to be twice, and tonight the last. It was really beautiful :heart:

I have been considering a leopard print blouse ... perhaps now that this one is gone I can justify another Lanvin blouse :wink: The problem is that I gravitate to the gorgeous purple silk I already own ... it would definitely be a paisley situation where people would think it was the same blouse :rolleyes:

That is too funny ... I'm not sure I've ever had a dream about clothes :wink: Love the color of your pants.

I am focused on other things than my wardrobe right now ... I won't mention recent thrilling purchases such as an oil pan, axle boot, etc. :rolleyes: I went plant shopping today & was actually quite thrilled to find two types of lavender I've never seen before. (I have a flower bed that is all lavender--except for one mint plant--each plant a different type. A couple plants didn't survive the harsh winter, so I needed some new ones.)

Just stopped by to say RIP silver grey voile Marc Jacobs blouse. I had mentioned awhile back that it had been mended in order to wear it a few more times--turned out to be twice, and tonight the last. It was really beautiful :heart:

I have been considering a leopard print blouse ... perhaps now that this one is gone I can justify another Lanvin blouse :wink: The problem is that I gravitate to the gorgeous purple silk I already own ... it would definitely be a paisley situation where people would think it was the same blouse :rolleyes:

RIP blouse :heart:

If it is the purple blouse on your recommandations board I would avoid it although it is gorgeous. But I think people will mistake it for your other purple lanvin blouse.

Something leopard might be fun though - and nice with your polkadots.

Gorgeous pants, Eizhowa!!

Sorry if I'm not responding to everything, I have been busy lately and couldn't read through everything.

However, I wanted to respond to the discussion that Betinapple started about evolving (confusing) closets. I remember that you (Betinapple) said even a year or so back that your style was evolving and that maybe you wouldn't wear as much cute vintage stuff as you grow older, have jobs etc. So what you are going trough sounds perfectly natural... You are bringing in new stuff since maybe you feel attracted to slightly different pieces now - and that's okay.

I agree it might be a good idea to move some stuff to another place. I have done that and found that it can be really nice to get back to something when it fits back in again. Some things may never fit back in again, then you can still give them away after a year or more time.

You know I've been fighting a bit with my color scheme since I just LOVE strong colors. I've really worked it out now and have been buying with a stronger focus, dreaming about a more focused wardrobe as a whole. I think I've moved into the right direction and I see my style more clearly now when I open my closet. But... the thought has crossed my mind that maybe I won't always feel like teal, burgundy and mustard during the next five or ten years. Maybe there will be days when I feel more like pink or purple again? So what then?? Should I never buy it again since it's not my color scheme?

Well, I think it's good to be focused... But maybe the time will come when my taste will evolve and I will feel like buying other stuff that doesn't really fit in. I decided that even if that means that my closet looks less focused as a whole I'm still allowed to evolve. How sad would it be if I'd always have to stick to what I like now, forever and ever, just to be true to "my style".

So personally I think I try to keep my purchases within a season in "one style" or "one color scheme", and I try to make new purchases work with things I own. But they don't have to work with everything. My style evolves and that's okay, even desirable.

For me personally it means that maybe one season I'm focusing more on teal, another it will be a bit more turquoise or neutrals like white or camel - whatever. I just don't want to change direction with every single piece I get. And I don't think my taste changes with every season either, but maybe every three or four years???

I'm still waiting for my blouse to arrive. Should come in tomorrow.

^ as you know, I have several color schemes, and I return to each of them over time ...

betinapple, perhaps after awhile if you're not bringing things back into circulation, selling them would be a good idea.

Here is my silk blouse, thanks to Eizhowa! :heart:

It arrived here today! It's really pretty, actually better than I expected :wink: The color is a tiny little bit less bright than on the pic but very rich. Now I really feel ready for all those temperatures between 10 and 20 degress Celsius... It doesn't need to get any warmer this summer :lol:

5d8f269c9f4a7ae7491f59ce2121bc59.jpg

pic: theoutnet.com

* Taking a bow *:lol:

I think the Outnet has a tendency to use to much flash or something. In my experience everything on their site is lighter and brighter than in daylight. I am expecting the trousers I ordered to be a tad darker as well.

glad the blouse worked out, r&n.

Tonight I got home and found I had really nothing to wear in terms of loungewear as everything I wanted I had just put in the dryer. So I found some cherry print capris to order :wub: Will see how it goes with those ... I discarded one pair of capris I believe since last year, so this may do me.

@Red: congrats on the blouse - so gorgeous, and, as Jina said, very you. Kudos Eizhowa! :D

Thx for the good advice. That really helped my. Cause you are perfectly right. I would rather have a seemingly non-cohesive closet than lock myself to one particular style or colour scheme. That said I still have to take some items out of rotation to avoid confusing myself. Sadly I do not have any storage where I can have my items hanging so I will have to pack them in boxes. Good thing I am buying an iron this month..

@Ta-ta: cherry print capris sound cute! I will definetely get rid of things if I haven't wanted to wear them for a long while. And I have a bunch of that kind of stuff. Thing is that many of them are too good to just toss but not worth the effort of selling. But I do not want to get into hoarding :wink:

^ Here there are bunches of places to donate to ... do you have that there?

Yes, that is always an option. I have a thrift store 5 minutes from here and plenty of girlfriends the same size as me. I just have some stuff that I feel have been too expensive, so it would hurt a bit to just give them away.

After my post this morning I realized how perfect one of the pairs of shoes I took to the attic this weekend, would be for the outfit I was wearing, so I went up and got them and ended up loving my outift which was mainly consisting of older stuff. the newest thing was my denim shirt bought in November last year.

So far my wardrobe seems to be working fine. Maybe I'll get some navy pants because I miss some neutral trousers that aren't jeans. Also I found some great black loungepants at COS that I might get.

I didn't buy anything black in about 10 years, and now in the last few months I bought two black items (that's a whole lot of black for me :lol:). I don't know what it is, but for some reason my aversion towards black is slowly disappearing.

Yes, that is always an option. I have a thrift store 5 minutes from here and plenty of girlfriends the same size as me. I just have some stuff that I feel have been too expensive, so it would hurt a bit to just give them away.

After my post this morning I realized how perfect one of the pairs of shoes I took to the attic this weekend, would be for the outfit I was wearing, so I went up and got them and ended up loving my outift which was mainly consisting of older stuff. the newest thing was my denim shirt bought in November last year.

That's good :wink: Maybe this is a good way for you to start wearing the things in the attic :lol: Like putting the cookies at the end of a long ladder, it just makes you want them more ...

I discarded another item ... a brown silk camisole blouse. As I mentioned, my measurements continue to change ... this is a button-front blouse that used to work, but when I wore it again the other day, I found it no longer does. So, it has been donated, along with its ivory twin (I'd put that on the donate pile awhile ago). I generally get rid of things only when they can be worn no more, or just plain do not work.

So far my wardrobe seems to be working fine. Maybe I'll get some navy pants because I miss some neutral trousers that aren't jeans. Also I found some great black loungepants at COS that I might get.

I didn't buy anything black in about 10 years, and now in the last few months I bought two black items (that's a whole lot of black for me :lol:). I don't know what it is, but for some reason my aversion towards black is slowly disappearing.

I didn't wear black when I was younger ... I felt it wasn't truly flattering, and that hasn't exactly changed. But its practicality and versatility cannot be denied ... and in my case, makeup, choice of neckline, etc. can mitigate the effect of black next to my face. I finally decided to get over it, and haven't looked back :wink:

Donating: I wouldn't donate anything, Betina. Not yet, at least. If there are things in your attic you haven't brought down within this time next year I would donate the lot (or sell if you have the energy/think it is worth it).

On black: I have been finding myself wearing less black as well. I think grey and copper tones make out my basic color palette (it used to be black and navy). I do like the drama it can add at night. I am pale as a sheet in winter and the contrast is very striking:wink: I always learned that black was the most basic color, but I think black looks too harsh with a lot of things (So...Hello, Charcoal!B))

I actually bought something black today... My old black trousers are starting to look a bit sad, so a new pair has been on my list for a while. I did find a 100% wool pair of trousers on J crew a while back, but they were out of my size... Apparently they restocked the sales items and my size was suddenly available:D I will receive them sometimes next week.

So I am no longer short on trousers^_^ I am still waiting for my silk Helmut Lang trousers.

jcrew
49398_BK0001_m

I didn't wear black when I was younger ... I felt it wasn't truly flattering, and that hasn't exactly changed. But its practicality and versatility cannot be denied ... and in my case, makeup, choice of neckline, etc. can mitigate the effect of black next to my face. I finally decided to get over it, and haven't looked back :wink:

No make-up to save my pale face when it comes to wearing black.. :lol:
But I've never really missed wearing it, I enjoy grey and navy as dark neutrals.

On evolving style/taste:My style and taste and has evolved over the years, but there are some constant factors. I really like green, grey and blue and that are the basic colors in my wardrobe. But every now and then there are some new colors to freshen things up. This season I'm drawn to orange (maybe it has something to do with the recent abdication in my country :king: ) and that actually seems to work very nice with my current wardrobe.

^I watched the abdication and I kept thinking Easyjet must be popular in the Netherlands right now. Then I kept thinking that was mean and disrespectful of me... I don't know the tradition behind the color:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->