The Business of Magazines

VANITY CASE: The much-awaited French edition of Vanity Fair will hit newsstands in June, Condé Nast France said. The monthly magazine is to make its debut with the July issue. It will be priced at around 4 euros, or $5.40 at current exchange.

Condé Nast France is investing 15 million euros, or $20 million at current exchange, by 2014 in the new venture.

Run by veteran journalist Michel Denisot, the editorial team has about 30 people. In addition to the nominations previously announced, including Anne Boulay, former editor in chief of the French edition of GQ, as editor in chief, and Virginie Mouzat as editor in chief overseeing fashion, lifestyle and feature stories, there will be Philippe Mathon as the editor in chief of the Vanity Fair Web site.
wwd.com

just noticed even more magazines have gone digital. W, Allure, Lucky, Glamour, Details, GQ, Vanity fair are now on zinio. I wonder if there is lots of profit from going digital.

they're all Condé Nast brands and they've been digital already for a while, but only available in the US via amazon for kindle, nextissue, nook etc.

and tablets are the future, so i think Condé won't miss this opportunity
i'm happy :woot: they've choosen zinio to go international

Cosmopolitan Norway is ceased as well (following the cancellation of Swedish edition in December with the January 2013 issue). The farewell issue is February 2013.

Julia Von Boehm Named The International Fashion Director At Interview Germany

Starting in February Julia von Boehm will join Interview Germany as the International Fashion Director. “I’m thrilled that with Julia von Boehm, we have the internationally most renowned German stylist on board. With her input, we’ll be able to further reinforce our status as one of the leading fashion magazines in Europe,“ says chairman Bernd Runge.
via timhowardmanagement

The first Australian edition of 10 and 10 Men will be on newsstands on the 1st of Feb.
Also, the relaunch of Elle Australia will be marked by its first issue in September i.e. October edition.

Definitely subscribing to French VF! So excited, hopefully it won't disappoint.

Look like W is going down to 10 issues a year, combining June/July and December/January.

condenast.com

Still, the Holiday & Art issue, that's quite a combination, I look forward to reading a present-buying guide done in abstract impressionist style.

chances that those "double" issues will be also double in the number of pages are rather weak, aren't they? I guess I will not change my mind about buying only March and September issues of this magazine.

chances that those "double" issues will be also double in the number of pages are rather weak, aren't they?

Very weak, especially regarding the June/July issue, there isn't much advertising during these months.

W needs better written content. You can't just have nice pics. I got a subscription on the cheap a few years ago and ended up letting it expire. It takes less than 20 minutes to go through one of their issues due to the lack of substantive articles.

DOWN TWO: It appears even healthy ad pages aren’t enough to keep magazines from reducing frequency. Condé Nast said Thursday it was scaling back W magazine, which had been performing relatively well among advertisers, to 10 issues a year from a monthly.

The move puts W in lockstep with Harper’s Bazaar, owned by Hearst Corp., which went to 10 issues in September 2011.

The news was surprising because W finished 2012 with nearly 1,200 ad pages, 10 percent above the year before, according to Media Industry Newsletter. And publisher Lucy Kriz, who succeeded Nina Lawrence last fall, was rewarded with the second-place performance award at Condé’s corporate retreat early this week, ahead of Vogue’s Susan Plagemann. A quarter into the new year, the magazine is up nearly 6 percent in ad pages.

But by reducing frequency, Condé can squeeze more profits out of a magazine that, after four decades, is not the powerhouse it once was.

Since its peak in 2007, W has not been as big a performer with advertisers or in circulation as its corporate siblings, or even Bazaar, whose rate base is 700,000 and finished 2012 with 1,800 pages.

While advertising recently climbed, the magazine continued to be one of the slimmest in Condé’s arsenal — Vogue, for instance, had more than twice as many total pages last year.

“This move will maximize profitability and allow the brand to bolster its focus on key issues,” Condé said. The issues to be combined are December/January and June/July.

Kriz, who joined in October, said the circulation base, now at 450,000, and advertising rates remain the same.

Condé described the W news as “a strategic brand expansion,” which includes a revamped Web site due in May and a limited distribution of its November issue in China — there’s already a Korea edition of the magazine.

“This is an intentional and strategic move to invest in the future of W, and there is no better time to do that than when you’re in a position of strength. This strategy frees up resources for us to double down and go big on what matters most — big issues and digital,” Kriz told WWD.
wwd.com

UK Esquire are launching 'The Big Black Book'. A biannual magazine, launching on March 19th. The US edition already has this, right?

W needs better written content. You can't just have nice pics.

so true. I started to buy it out of curiosity, but after some time and giving them another chance each month, I just gave up. written content is the reason why I love Interview that much - they can balance it with visual perfectly!

memo-net-a-porter.jpg

LONDON — Natalie Massanet always describes the Net-a-porter e-commerce site as a fashion magazine online — and now she’s actually launching one, as well as a print version later this year aimed at rivaling the likes of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar.

The Web site, owned by Compagnie Financière Richemont SA, will today unveil phase one of its print and digital magazine project that aims to speak to luxury fashion-focused women, in multiple languages, worldwide.

Net-a-porter first will launch a free, weekly online magazine called The Edit, which is available from the site beginning today. The online magazine will have 52 themed editions annually, and will be the sister of an as-yet-unnamed print title that will make its debut in the fall and will come out four to six times a year.

The Edit is 30 pages, and features fashion shoots that allow readers to buy directly from the pages, as well as news, features and interviews with women from around the world. It carries a mix of advertising from brands that are stocked by Net-a-porter — as well as from brands that are not, such as Tiffany & Co., Rolex, Harry Winston, Jo Malone, Estée Lauder and W Hotels.

In addition to The Edit, Net-a-porter has created a one-off print magazine, The Collections Special, that offers a taste of the print magazine to be launched this fall.

The Edit and The Collections Special feature Natalia Vodianova, shot by Paolo Roversi, on their covers.
The Collections Special showcases fashion shoots by Roversi, David Bellamere and Liz Collins.

The 104-page Collections Special, which will be sent out next week, focuses on the spring collections, and has been printed in English, French, German and simplified Chinese to coincide with Net’s multilingual Web sites that will launch later this month.

The Collections Special will go to more than 100,000 top customers who have been identified as particular lovers of print. Advertisers in The Collections Special include Valentino, Gucci, Michael Kors, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Alexander McQueen, Roberto Cavalli and Isabel Marant.

As of this spring, The Edit, too, will be published in French, German and Mandarin, in addition to English. So far, some 1.5 million customers have signed up to get an e-mail of The Edit sent to them each week, although anyone can access the title on the site.

The new editorial efforts — digital and print — have been created by Lucy Yeomans, editor in chief of Net-a-porter.com and former editor in chief of British Harper’s Bazaar, and will offer readers the opportunity to shop from their pages. The Net-a-porter homepage will also have a new, updated look starting today.

“This is a new model for publishing, a blend of the old and the new, and the shopability really inspires me,” said Tess Macleod Smith, vice president, media and publishing, of the Net-a-porter Group. She said the aim is to inspire the consumer from the very beginning of her journey — and follow her all the way to the end.
Going forward, Macleod Smith said she’s excited by the idea of publishing “anytime, anywhere,” and said already 30 percent of Net-a-porter’s sales come from mobile smartphones. She said, going forward, there will be editorial innovations for the mobile and tablet.

Macleod Smith, formerly group publishing director at the Hearst Corp. in London, joined Net-a-porter a year ago, and has a group level role, overseeing the publishing activities of its men’s site Mr Porter, and the off-price site The Outnet, in addition to Net-a-porter.

Mr Porter already publishes The Journal, an online magazine that comes out 52 weeks a year, and a print title called The Mr Porter Post, which is set to increase its frequency to six times a year, and more than double its print run to 130,000.

Yeomans said her vision for The Edit was a magazine “for and about women with great style and great stories,” a title with international resonance. “We want to be for the global, international woman. We’re not putting up geographical barriers,” she said.

This week’s issue of The Edit, whose theme is The New Simplicity, includes an interview with the Hong Kong-based Yana Peel, a venture philanthropist and the chief executive officer of Intelligence Squared, and a story on the Man Ray show that kicks off today at the National Portrait Gallery in London.

Fashion shoots feature an edit of clothing and merchandise available on Net-a-porter, and in the future there will be other elements, such as exclusive music tracks that make their debut in the weekly magazine.

But perhaps the most ambitious project is the new print title, which will be sold by subscription and on newsstand beginning in the fall. Yeomans said it is evolving on a daily basis. She said it will showcase fashion “in context” alongside stories on art, culture and politics. “Print allows us to offer a more in-depth experience,” she said, adding that she will be shooting a mix of brands, some of which are not stocked on Net-a-porter.

“We have an extraordinary customer base and we have to make sure we are looking after their needs, and that means bringing in the best of everything out there,” said Yeomans. “And I do think there is a place for a new global magazine, a slice of international culture and style.”

Macleod Smith said customers will be able to shop the new print title via an app. Although she declined to give details, she said the app will be planted inside the print magazine and “will service readers’ needs. The aim is to make the app fit nicely into women’s lives. It’s not gimmicky, and it will speak to women.”

While the team is still working on the name of the new, 300-page glossy magazine, Macleod Smith said it is likely that the frequency will be four to six issues a year. “We are going to be much smarter about when we publish,” she said, but declined to give target circulation figures, cover price, or advertisers who will be in the launch issue, although she said the latter will be similar to those who are taking pages in The Edit.

Macleod Smith also said they are in the process of hiring a distributor, and added that it’s likely she will be hiring a few U.S.-based salespeople beginning in April.

Macleod Smith said one thing is for sure: The Net-a-porter customer might live much of her life online, but she’s still in love with the printed page.

“When I first arrived here, I really wanted to see how our customers were consuming fashion content, and I found they are heavy consumers of print magazines,” she said.

“These are women in their mid- to late 30s, who are buying four to five magazines per month. They love print and they love a global edit. They’re buying titles like Japanese Harper’s Bazaar along with French Vogue. And it was clear they want us to communicate with them through all platforms,” she said.
source | wwd.com

I dont think this was posted but US Esquire is taking over G4TV. It will now be the Esquire channel and will debut later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->