The Business of Magazines

I have a question.
Do magaines pay other magazines for the reprints? Like do the magazines that created the editorials recive money by the magazines who want to have their editorials on their issues or they can just post the editorials without any authorization?

They need the authorization to do so. It will cost significantly less than producing your own shoot, but yes you still must pay. Things like a models fee etc. She'll have been agreed for a certain amount of useage, and so she may earn more from being reprinted in a different territory. I believe so anyway, unless it's already in the initial contract that the work may well be reprinted elsewhere?

I think when magazines reprint from their own brand (like when Vogue Portugal reprints UK Vogue, or when numerous Cosmopolitan editions reprint the original - USA one), they do not pay.
It always interested me as well.

^ No, I think they definitely pay within brands. A close friend worked at Condé UK in the department that dealt with reprints and said a lot of money exchanged hands, as it's like honeycombchild said, they have to pay the model fees, photographer fees, then not to mention copyright fees, etc..

I remember when Australia used to have Elle, now it seems definite they'll have it again (ragtrader.com.au:(

Elle set for 2013

30 Jul 2012
By Alexandra Roach

ACP Magazines will launch an Australian edition of Elle magazine next year after plans to launch the title this year alongside Women’s Fitness were postponed.

Elle’s
Australian launch was announced in November by then-managing director Phil Scott, only for it to be pushed back in March to an unconfirmed date. Some industry pundits questioned whether it had been shelved permanently.

However, ACP head of sales Louise Barrett said this was not the case. “Elle is absolutely coming next year. Without doubt.”

Barrett said ACP decided to take “more time” after Matt Stanton took over Scott’s role earlier this year.

“You can’t release a magazine of Elle’s calibre on a small scale because it is the largest fashion magazine in the world,” Barrett said.

“It’s a massive brand, not just in the sense of a magazine brand, but also digitally and with licensed product. No one sells as much licensed product as the Elle brand does. The launch has to be done properly. You can’t rush it.”

ACP publishing director Gerry Reynolds said the launch was never put on hold. “Elle has always been rolling along,” he said. “Elle’s reach proves the inherent strength of the validity of the brand out of the page. "There’s been a tendency in mag-land the past few years to sit back and moan about things rather than be on the front foot.”

Barrett said the company is moving forward. “As the market leader, ACP has to adopt that position. That’s what we’ve tried to do in launching brands and new technologies and being first to market. Women’s Fitness launches in September. How much can you do in a year?”

ACP will publish Elle in partnership with Hearst International Magazines (which also co-publishes Cosmopolitan, Harper’s Bazaar, Madison and Grazia with ACP) and Elle brandowner Lagardère Active.

CHINESE CONNECTION: Condé Nast France now speaks Mandarin. Starting in mid-August, it will begin publishing a semi-annual lifestyle magazine, called Vogue Travel in France, entirely in the language.

“We realize there is a big potential with Chinese tourists in France,” a Vogue spokeswoman explained.

Marie Pointurier has been named the title’s editor in chief and will continue to head up Air France Madame magazine, also published by the French division of Condé Nast Publications. Meanwhile, Julien Gallico was tapped as the new magazine’s artistic director.

Its content will focus on art of living à la française, covering topics such as fashion, beauty, interior decoration, gastronomy and design.

Some 60,000 free copies are to be distributed in upscale locations, including five-star hotels and department stores, plus cultural spots in the French cities and regions most visited by Chinese tourists, such as Paris, Aquitaine, Côte d’Azur, Alsace and Normandy. Another 10,000 copies will be sold on France’s major international newsstands.

The magazine will be priced at 5 euros, or $6.15 at current exchange. Its spring edition is set to launch in mid-January 2013.
wwd

Tatler UK is launching 'Teen Tatler' this month. I'm sure it'll be as bad as it sounds.
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember reading about this - it sounded like a vehicle for the model competition, and having read the actual end result with the September issue, let's hope it stays a supplement, my copy is currently in residence in the recycling bin (vogue.co.uk:(

TEEN TATLER, a supplement set to be published alongside Tatler magazine in September this year, is also launching a new model competition in association with Storm Model Management.

The magazine is searching for boys or girls aged 16 to 19 to be the face of Teen Tatler and, as well as appearing on the cover, the winner will also have the chance to be secure a contract with one of the fashion industry's most famous model agencies, Storm - which represents models including Kate Moss, Lily Donaldson and Jourdan Dunn.

"I still love the discovery of new faces and this is such an integral part of what I do, so working with Tatler to find new faces is both great fun and important," Storm Model Management founder, and member of the competition's judging panel, Sarah Doukas said. "I have a feeling that we are going to be mentoring some incredible boys and girls, discovered as a direct result of this competition."

Joining Doukas on the judging panel are designer Mark Fast and Tatler editor Kate Reardon.

"Our search to find the face of Teen Tatler is all about unearthing some of Britain's hidden youthful gorgeousness," Reardon said. "Tatler has a long history of spotting stars in virtual infancy, now we're rummaging around for even more."

I wonder who they'll get to Edit Elle Australia. It'd be amazing if Kirstie Clements got the Job. I was so bummed when she was given the boot from Vogue.

Have they released magazine sales figures for the first half of 2012 yet?

^Here they are

TOUGH HALF: Remember, a few years ago, when magazine publishers and media observers started to employ the phrase “flat is the new up” when referring to newsstand and advertising figures? It was the glass-half-full way of reporting on the titles that managed to keep their numbers steady.

This morning, a new batch of figures was released from the Audit Bureau of Circulations for the first half of 2012 and it may be time for a new choice of words. While a few fashion and lifestyle magazines reported virtually no change in newsstand compared to last year, that wasn’t the case for the majority of titles. During the first six months of this year, most publishers were lucky if they reported only a single-digit decline.

The bright spots: Marie Claire’s first half was almost flat compared to last year, with an average of 199,071 copies sold. With about 137,133 copies sold during the half, Harper’s Bazaar reported a flat period compared to the year before. These figures were taken from ABC’s unaudited Rapid Report, because Hearst Magazines declined to provide audited numbers ahead of time.

Over at Condé Nast, which did provide audited numbers, W magazine reported a slight decline, down 2.2 percent to an average of 18,591 copies sold. The luxury fashion title sells fewer copies on newsstands than its competitors, but it was able to keep its figures in line with the previous year. All Condé Nast titles reporting figures to ABC include digital single-copy sales in their overall newsstand data.

InStyle, published by Time Inc., sold an average of 545,000 copies this period on newsstand, according to ABC figures, which is more than Vogue and Elle combined. Still, InStyle was down 4.5 percent during the first half. Another Time Inc. title, People StyleWatch, reported a 3 percent dip to 490,026.

Glamour’s newsstand performance fell 6.8 percent during the period. The title was boosted by a redesign, introduced in March, when its single-copy average increased 5 percent from that issue through June over the same period in the prior year. Town & Country’s newsstand fell more than 9 percent to 33,403 copies sold during the half, according to Rapid Report.

Vogue, Vanity Fair, Lucky and Allure all experienced double-digit declines for Condé Nast, with Lucky’s newsstand falling 15.5 percent to 126,926. Vogue posted a 16.5 percent decline to an average of 300,955 copies sold. Vanity Fair fell 18.8 percent during the half to 283,938 copies. Allure’s newsstand dropped 19 percent to an average of 125,162 copies sold. Hearst’s Elle’s single-copy sales fell about 20 percent to 198,715, according to Rapid Report.

The takeaway message: it was a tough first half at newsstands and checkout counters across the country. Women are being more selective with their purchases in store but there is growth, in some cases, in digital copies sold. Allure’s digital newsstand rose 273 percent during the half to 2,611. Glamour sold 7,713 digital copies, up 71 percent. These figures are basically a rounding error compared to the physical newsstand, but it’s growth. Monica Ray, executive vice president for consumer marketing at Condé Nast, said newsstand remains a small portion of the company’s readership mix — about 12 percent of the total makeup — but she repeatedly said she is encouraged by the increase in digital. “In the overall picture, total readership is going up. We’ve had nice gains in subscriptions. But newsstand is still really important to us,” she said.

The question is, how long will it be important? As magazines continue to become brands, selling not just content but also housewares, fashion, beauty products and food, some observers believe newsstand has become an old school metric for the business. “Newsstand is not the barometer of vitality anymore,” said Robin Steinberg, executive vice president, director of publishing investment and activation at MediaVest USA. “It’s an overall brand evaluation. Not the brand in silos but the goal of how a brand does on multiple platforms,” including digital, print, mobile and all the other activities magazines are using these days to generate revenue.

Until these broader metrics are in place — and easy for all to see — it’s safe to say observers will continue to focus on newsstand. Brand measurement isn’t as exciting as who will get that first Katie Holmes postdivorce cover.
wwd

Best and worst selling issues for the first half of 2012

'TWILIGHT' STARS STAND OUT, ATHLETES DON’T: Vogue has an uneasy relationship with sports. Athletes rarely appear on the cover, much less male ones, and when they do, the results are unflattering. Remember that unfortunate LeBron James cover? Before him, you’d have to go back to 2001 to find another athlete cover model — Marion Jones.

In June, the magazine tried to raise the topic again, and again it failed to score. Its Olympics-themed issue, featuring a patriotic “Team USA” headline and a grinning Ryan Lochte, Serena Williams and Hope Solo, was its weakest performer so far this year, moving about 202,000 copies at the newsstand, or 33 percent below its six-month average. The issue was one of several weak months for Vogue, which, alongside Condé Nast titles Lucky and Allure, experienced double-digit drops in total newsstand sales for the first half, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations, which released the data on Tuesday.

Where Vogue did have a hit was in music: its March cover featuring Adele sold 410,000, well above the average.

ABC won’t release audited monthly breakdowns until later this year, but from its unaudited Rapid Report data, some trends are evident.

The declines underscore that no matter how dynamic a cover, it’s going to have a hard time standing out at the checkout counter. If there’s one reliable indicator of success, it’s to gun for the new three T’s: twentysomethings, TV and “Twilight.”

The movie franchise gave Lucky and Seventeen their best-selling covers (March and December/January, respectively). Kristen Stewart also gave Elle its second best so far, with the June issue selling about 217,000, 9 percent above its six-month average. TV’s “New Girl,” Zooey Deschanel, was a blockbuster for Marie Claire with 247,354, while Ashley Benson of “Pretty Little Liars,” helped Teen Vogue sell 129,114 copies, its second best of the year, 19 percent above its average. Lauren Conrad, a perennial bestseller for Glamour, sold 500,072 on its swimsuit issue, or 18 percent above its six-month average. Skewing young resulted in bestsellers for Cosmopolitan (Scarlett Johansson, in January), Elle (Blake Lively, in March), Teen Vogue (“Dark Shadows” actress Chloë Grace Moretz in January/December), and Town & Country, which put a three-decades-old portrait of Ali MacGraw on the cover in February. Vanity Fair had its best cover of the first half with a vampy Marilyn Monroe in June, selling about 353,000, a 1 percent jump from last June.

Here’s a news flash for editors, though: Women at or approaching their 40s still do sell. Jennifer Aniston, in March, and Cameron Diaz, in May, gave InStyle its best-selling covers, about 794,000 and 538,000, respectively; its six-month average is about 545,000. And Kate Moss still retains star power — she flew off newsstands for W (27,302 copies in March) and Harper’s Bazaar (148,434 in June/July).

Let’s take the temperature of who’s not hot: Kim Kardashian fizzled for both Allure (117,000 in March, 7 percent below the average) and Glamour (the January cover with her sisters was its second-worst selling, with 375,000, or an 11 percent dip over the average). Musicians who are not Adele or Lady Gaga also failed to sing: Pink, Katy Perry and Demi Lovato were duds for Cosmopolitan, Teen Vogue and Seventeen, respectively; Christina Aguilera was Marie Claire’s second-worst seller. Not surprisingly, Larry Gagosian’s influence is only felt in the art world. His girlfriend, Shala Monroque, landed on the cover of Town & Country in January and moved about 29,000 copies, the magazine’s second-worst cover so far, behind Olivia Wilde in March, and a 13 percent decrease from its six-month average.

Across the industry, magazines saw total single-copy sales decline 9.6 percent, according to ABC; the figures combine print and digital newsstands.

More troubling, though, is that most monthlies are seeing highly weak newsstand sell-throughs, the percentage of single issues sold against those distributed by publishers. Vogue, for instance, averaged 34.4 percent for the first half, a 16 percent drop from last year’s average, according to MagNet, a service owned by magazine wholesalers that tracks single-copy sales. Only 24 percent of the print Olympics issue sold at newsstands, for instance. The sell-through drop was far more precipitous at Allure, down 19.4 percent, and Lucky, down 16.7 percent.

While some editors qualify newsstand by saying it’s not a true measure of a title’s vitality any longer, the disappointing newsstand and sell-through figures for many come on top of the downright humbling ad page counts for most magazines through September.
wwd

I'm so so glad US Vogue June wasn't a success! :woot:
And I hope we will see less of the Kardashians from now on.

That issue, had very little fashion, and it was heavy on sport, while i enjoyed some of the athletes articles, it is not why i buy Vogue, and that is a great message to send, at least do a nice mix of both, dont give us Sport Illustrated deux!

Some of those stars who sell no matter what, are not surprising, but it is nice to see that Adele performed well for US Vogue, after bad UK sales. And no wonder VF loves them some Marilyn, after 5 decades since her death, she is still the ultimate cover girl!

Glad to see that Kate Moss' covers were well above average for W and HB, even in the bad June/July slot.

Tatler UK is launching 'Teen Tatler' this month. I'm sure it'll be as bad as it sounds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seriously? NO!
Couldn't think of anything worse than some jumped little socialites getting more attention than they already get at home. What a horrible idea.:ninja:

Is the market for teenzines really that big? When I was younger I always wanted to read adult magazines. It seemed more.... aspirational, or something.

I don't think Tatler teens aspire to be like their peers. They believe they're already better than their peers. That's why they're reading Tatler I imagine!

I'm really glad Adele sold well for US Vogue. I felt like when Alexandra was commenting on the complete lack of sales for her UK cover she was trying to shift the blame onto Adele. She wasn't shot well, the cover was great, so it didn't sell. It evidentially doesn't have much to do with Adele does it. It's the cover itself. Alexandra said Adele wouldn't them shoot her full body... yet Anna Wintour managed to get a shot down to her waist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->