The Business of Magazines

Interesting, never a huge fan of her work as it is, so i wonder how she will fit into HB world.

Hopefully she'll style more than coats. Is it just me or was the Sept issue of Bazaar nothing but one coat after another? And not one single fall trend represented. It's always the same. A color edit.. A monochrome edit.. Etc etc

I felt the same, yes! Just a lackluster Sept issue, i mean i should be used to one, but they are in such need of new direction at that magazine.

Looks like Esquire will take over the Style Network to turn into Esquire TV. Kind of sad since some shows on G4 were canceled when they were going to take over that channel. Anyways it seems odd that a men's magazine will take over a channel with mainly female viewers.

Looks like Esquire will take over the Style Network to turn into Esquire TV. Kind of sad since some shows on G4 were canceled when they were going to take over that channel. Anyways it seems odd that a men's magazine will take over a channel with mainly female viewers.

That's good news. There is really nothing of interest to me on the Style Network.. Jeannie Mai & those stupid reality shows are just... Ugh!! I was hoping my cable would get Esquire TV & now we will!

Thanks for the info Hector!

In a perfect world Esuire TV would be something like AMC. I hope it's a total makeover of the Style Network and not just a name change.

What happened with Spanish V? The last issue was launched one year ago, with the cover of Kim Kardashian...

ELLE Men Thailand to launch this October

This October will see the exciting launch of a brand new men’s magazine, ELLE Men Thailand.

Elle Men Thailand Targeting 25-35 year olds who are “stylish urban guys dare to look and think differently”, ELLE Men Thailand will be a monthly magazine, defined by its modern, stylish and international feel. Tapping into the Thai men’s magazine market, ELLE Men Thailand will be the first international men’s fashion and lifestyle magazine that truly serves the affluent, go-getter “A” to “B+” class of male readers.

The magazine will distinguish itself from its market competitors through its “Playful”, “Savvy”, “Stylish” and “Spirited”, tone and will be the true voice of the modern Thai man in every sense. Readers will of course be updated on the latest fashion trends with sections such as 'All about Styles’, and 'Fashion Story’, yet there will also be informative news sections such as 'Eyes on the World’ which will educate readers on global news issues. Furthermore, with inspiring real-life interviews and sections on politics, health, technology, culture, cars and women, the magazine will truly cater to the modern man’s every need!

As part of the Bangkok Post group, ELLE Men Thailand will benefit from marketing channels, circulation and production. The magazine will be launched in October with a monthly print run of 100,000 copies. It will be distributed at newsstands and offices across Thailand.

source: publicitas.com

InStyle Names Eric Wilson Fashion News Director

NEW STYLE: InStyle magazine has poached from The New York Times for the newly created position of fashion news director. Eric Wilson, a reporter and fashion critic on the Styles desk, begins his new role at the celebrity and fashion magazine Nov. 18. Ariel Foxman, the editor in chief of InStyle, said the new position involves writing, editing and “creating multimedia content.” Wilson is tasked with overseeing designer and industry features in print and online.

Wilson, 41, joined the Times from WWD in 2005 and was one of several reporters on the fashion beat while also acting as a companion critic to Cathy Horyn. Recent features covered the overbooked fashion week calendar and the continuing struggles of minority models.

He said he had been looking for a bigger role in fashion journalism than as a reporter. “I’ve been doing fashion journalism for 17 years and I love it so much but I wanted to figure out what would make sense for the rest of my career,” he said. “When I talked to [Foxman] about this, what he had in mind for the position and what I had in mind for my career were the same.”

His mandate is to create “a voice for the news coverage of InStyle,” Wilson said, “coming up with new ways to explain to readers why fashion is important and exciting.”

In recruiting a Times reporter, InStyle’s editorial bench earns some added gravitas. Foxman said of Wilson: “Not only does he bring additional credibility and a journalistic point of view, he also brings an enthusiastic approach to the full fashion calendar, celebrity red carpet and the business itself.”
wwd.com

Kate Moss Joins The Vogue Team
KATE MOSS is joining British Vogue as a contributing fashion editor to the magazine, with her first story due to feature in a forthcoming spring issue. This marks the first time that the British model - who has starred on 33 British Vogue covers since her debut for March 1993, as well as numerous shoots inside - will be directing the other side of the creative experience. She will be a hands-on editor joining the rest of the Vogue fashion team of stylists and working with her choice of photographers and models.

"I am absolutely delighted that Kate is going to work with us in this new role," Alexandra Shulman said this morning. "Her undoubtedly brilliant sense of style, depth of fashion knowledge and understanding of what makes a wonderful image will be exciting to see on the pages of British Vogue. I am really looking forward to working with her on ideas."
[vogue.co.uk]

Condé Nast Discontinuing Internship Program

INTERNSHIPS ENDING: Condé Nast has decided to discontinue its internship program starting in 2014, WWD has learned. The end of the program comes after the publisher was sued this summer by two former interns who claimed they were paid below the minimum wage during internships at W and The New Yorker.

Condé is just one of several media companies facing similar litigation from summer interns. In February 2012, a former intern at Hearst’s Harper’s Bazaar sued, claiming the magazine violated minimum wage and overtime laws. A judge threw out the case, but the intern appealed and the suit remains unresolved. In another case that was settled in June, two interns who worked for Fox Searchlight successfully sued the studio for similar reasons.

Several days after that case was settled, Lauren Ballinger, an intern at W in 2009, and Matthew Leib, who worked at The New Yorker in 2009 and 2010, filed their lawsuit, which is still pending.

The size of the average Condé intern class is unclear. Current interns are not affected and will remain employed through the end of their terms. WWD is part of Condé Nast, which declined comment. Hearst did not comment on the status of its internship program.
wwd.com

Glamour Snags Creative Director From Rival Elle

Elle design director Paul Ritter is leaving Hearst Magazines to become creative director of rival Condé Nast title Glamour. Ritter, who will replace the magazine’s creative director of five years, Geraldine Hessler, starts Nov. 11.

The design veteran joined Elle in 2007, and last year, also consulted on the launch of Jason Binn's DuJour magazine. Previously, Ritter worked on a number of redesigns for titles including the now-defunct (and former Glamour sister mag) Jane, BlackBook and Magazine Sans Nom. He also was the creative director at Vitals magazine, Life magazine and Virgin Records France. He’s also worked in branding and advertising, for Tommy Hilfiger fragrance, L’Oréal and Zara.

Ritter will report directly to Glamour editor in chief Cindi Leive, who called him “a strong creative force with a keen understanding of style and culture," adding, "I’m thrilled to have him on board to help me build a modern all-American fashion magazine for the future.” Glamour underwent its own redesign just over a year and a half ago, with Hessler lending a more youthful, colorful feel to the nearly 75-year-old brand.

source: adweek.com

What happened with Spanish V? The last issue was launched one year ago, with the cover of Kim Kardashian...

They closed last year, due to the tough economic situation Spain was going through.

The economic situation is not the reason, the magazine was really expensive, it starts costing 5€ and then 3€ but really thiner.

Its size make it really difficult to read in the bus/metro or even to put inside a bag, it was impossible.

I only bought the first issue, but it was difficult to find in the newstands, i wanted to buy the Saskia's cover issue and it was impossible to find it in my city.

This year have launched in Spain Forbes, Grazia and Icon magazine, so the economic situation is not the reason, i think...

FINALLY..... since 31. October 2013 Vogue Italia has it's own iPad Magazine App :clap:

^ At least, lol, haha cool. Now i really want US Vogue to be able to purchase on zinio, i much prefer actual digital magazines available.

I agree with Galimatias. I believe that those large magazines like V, W and Interview would stand a better chance if they were in standard sizes. (At least I would buy them often).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abbgg
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->