The Business of Magazines

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Cicciolina, Mar 7, 2008.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

thanks for posting. Intresting because I used to think Vogue was doing better than Elle. Vogue seemed more higher, and have more about fashion than Elle. :flower:

2. bryanboy

bryanboy New Member

I think Elle has more fashion. It covers EVERYTHING whereas Vogue is for 'prestige' and they are very selective and highly edited.

3. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

WOW that is lots of changes at Bazaar. ^^I think so.

4. fashionatic

fashionatic New Member

Probably ELLE´s more for common people who are interested in fashion, but don´t want to research to understand VOGUE?

5. LUXXX

LUXXX New Member

Anna should take a page out of Carine's book if she wants to make things interesting at American Vogue again. She needs to be more daring with her editorials and cover subjects...

But I agree Elle is a bit more commercialized, like how Bazaar has become. They incorporate pop culture...

6. bryanboy

bryanboy New Member

vogue russia, imo, is more interesting than american vogue.

seriously... vogue usa imo exists only for 'prestige' and nothing else.

7. kimair

kimair frozen

this isn't a rumour...
    and it's not about which is the better magazine, it's about advertisers...
    it was reported in wwd that vogue's ad pages are down for the year along with some other condé nast titles...

moving to the business of magazines...

ETA: here is the article from wwd...

#147 kimair, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited by moderator hellothere: Jul 23, 2008
  8. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

It's going to be the same story across the board, for newspapers and magazines in most sectors - but given that people's approach to the economy is as much about what's in their head as what's in their wallet, there will come the moment when people will get fed up with thrift, they'll hunger for glamour, and the upturn will start, but it's hard to say when that imperceptible shift in attitude will sweep in, could be 2010.

Writing '2010' as a valid year makes me feel like I'm living in a sci-fi novel.

9. Style-Addict

Style-Addict New Member

I wonder what's going on at Bazaar- that's a lot of people quitting, new hires, more departures. I'm sure that's turning their department upside down for the time being.

10. tigerrouge

Some news about US Esquire from Media Guardian:

#150 tigerrouge, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited by moderator ywliu: Jul 24, 2008
  11. tigerrouge

And a bit more about the subject from nytimes.com:

12. kimair

kimair frozen

source wwd, 07.28.08

13. moussemaker

moussemaker Active Member

'Oprah,' 'Vogue' Among Major Newsstand Losers

The official semi-annual magazine circulation report won't be out until next month, but thanks to the Audit Bureau of Circulations' new Rapid Report system, this year we'll get an early look at how top monthly titles sold in the first half. And the answer is...not well, for the most part.
    [​IMG]
    Hearst took some big hits, with newsstand sales of Good Housekeeping, Marie Claire and O, The Oprah Magazine all tumbling by double-digit percentages. O's newsstand average was down 16.4 percent, to 742,500, which certainly casts the supposedly voluntary departure of editor in chief Amy Gross in a new light. Marie Claire's average of 291,059 is down 11.7 percent from last year, and down an alarming 29 percent from two years ago, when Joanna Coles took over as editor in chief.
    Meanwhile, Hearst's most profitable title, Cosmopolitan, was "only" down 6.7 percent; I use scare quotes around "only" because that represents a disappearance of around 124,000 copies per issue.
    Not that the news is especially sunny outside Hearst Tower. Vogue and Glamour, two of Condé Nast's major cash cows, are both down double digits on the newsstand as well. (Condé Nast publishes Portfolio.) Vogue skidded 15.1 percent to 383,833, while Glamour dropped 10.4 percent to 676,466. Teen Vogue was off 15.7 percent in the first half, compared to an 8 percent decline for rival Seventeen.
    One of the few newsstand gainers was Vanity Fair, which was up 5.8 percent for the half, averaging 375,666. And we all know who's to thank for that.

Ladies' Home Journal posted a massive gain of 24.5 percent, but that appears to be due to a program of selling discounted copies at dollar stores -- a program that was recently shut down.

www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/mixed-media/2008/07/29/oprah-vogue-among-major-newsstand-losers

14. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Oprah is the queen but i cant belive Teen Vogue outsold Vogue? :shock: And no Bazaar? :huh:

Thanks for posting Moussemaker. :flower:

15. Style-Addict

Style-Addict New Member

I agree Miss Dalloway, Teen Vogue outsold Vogue?!?! Wow! I didn't know GQ sold so low and I didnt' know Glamour and Marie Claire sold so much.

16. mishahoi

mishahoi loaded and locked

they didn't. You'll notice how the magazines that are listed at the top were the lowest sellers, as the charts shows losses and gains in circulation, starting from those that lost numbers.

The winners here are ladies home journal and vanity fair.

I`m not surprised about vogue. its bo-ring. I can get through a whole issue reading only the insightful columns and finish in 30 minutes.

17. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

US Vogue is marketed to appeal to a very specific demographic... which is the woman over 35 years of age.

18. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Source | WWD

19. mishahoi

mishahoi loaded and locked

but the fact they've lost so much in circulation points to something that is amiss; they havent changed formats, moved people around, gotten a new editor in chief, so why would they lose so many readers?

I personally think Vogue should go even more niche...a little more aspirational and a little more catered to the wealthy woman..then they could charge more for advertising. currently there is no magazine on the newsstands which cater to that market anyway...seems they are on the fence now in this economy.

20. Style-Addict

Style-Addict New Member

Thanks for that last article MissMagAddict!
    I always love reading insider things like this- although I am not a regular reader of Marie Claire, I want to see what the magazine is like under her. I wonder how she'll change it.