The End of the Juniors Category?

starz1

Reaction score
I didnt know which section this belongs in so I'm just posting it here.

We all saw the rise and fall of junior brands Juicy and Ed Hardy, and along with those brands, girls dressing cute has disappeared.

Like really all thats left on the junior market is Local Celebrity and a few other brands, but thats it.

Like girls refuse to dress cute now, more than half of teens wanna dress like their 30 now.

So sad, dressing cute is NOT the same as dressing classy
cute=juicy
classy=boring classy dresses and stuff

WHAT HAPPENED TO CUTE!

I Agree with you. the action has moved to the "contemporary" category where designers and retailers can charge much higher prices.

i dont think Ed Hardy and Juicy where originally Juniors brands. they are and remain contemporary brands.

back in the day when i was a junior, there were some great brands. Espirit, Tommy Hilfiger, Todd Oldham, xoxo and Guess. that were in my local department store in the juniors department that were very reasonably priced.

theres not that much interesting there these days however...

also nowadays it seems that "junior" brands are really trying to go for the quick buck and trying to make as much money as possible initially and not planning on the longevity of the brand.

the olsen twins "olsenboye" brand i believe is an example of this.

I think you've raised a great point starz. looks of young girls want to look all grown theses days! it's nice to see a teen dressing their age.

lucy92 your avatar is so cute, I love that film. maybe kids these days should take some fashion tips from movie like sixteen candles!

i tend to think of juicy and ed hardy more as "tacky" than juniors clothing...
from what i understand those brands are actually quite expensive and are worn by women who aren't in their teens as well..

i think lucy is more on target with the fading of brands of clothing for younger girls...

is dkny still going strong? i guess they're a more sophisticated brand or more targeted to women in their 20s than to teens?

i would agree that the brands that target juniors now are more "flash in the pan" than they used to be...
target's GO designer collaborations are done in juniors sizing and have a juniors target audience and i think those look it for the most part... but again, like lucy mentioned, these are single collaborations focused on making a quick buck and they don't consistently offer something fashionable and youthful for young girls...

i'm sick of seeing high school girls with their thongs and a** cracks hanging out...
not cute at all...

i don't necessarily think that these teens girls are skipping the cute and going straight to sophistication though...
most of them are just trying to conform and fit in... wearing their Ugg style boots, jeans, sweatshirts and northface jackets... from what i've seen in the northeast anyway...

also... what about brands like BCBGirl? is that too sophisticated?
that expansion of BCBG is relatively new on the scene, no?

i think betsey johnson is sort of a good example of clothes/party dresses that appeal to young girls...
fashiony but also fun and youthful (though expensive for the typical budget i would say)..

well I love juniors, and it saddens me that this divisions is NOT what it use to be

It use to be EVERYWHERE.

ugg's and a cute tshirt and juicy pants,
THOSE WERE THE DAYS.... la la laaaaaa

I'm still not a fan of uggs.... and yet I still see them everrrrywhere. :sick:

What about Esprit?
That used to be everywhere in the 90's. I actually quite like the Esprit brand.
I don't think it was ever as high as a name brand as lets say Juicy, but I remember seeing Esprit everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to try answering this since I guess I'd be described as a junior? Brands like Ed Hardy, Juicy, and really anything flashy is tacky now. It doesn't help us with a more mature look. I know I've been interested in floral patterns, solids, and a laid back style. American Apparel and Urban Outfitters as well as many downtown Soho shops are the usual places to find such clothing. I have a feeling that any brand specifically towards juniors are going to disappear soon, or possibly just change the style.

i think part of this disappearance of the juniors brand is that young girls seem to be growing up a lot faster these days in every way....

clothing-wise they're skipping up to the high end stuff much sooner...

you see VERY young girls carrying around designer bags... and this is definitely a new phenomenon...
i think the explosion of coach bags really helped to start that particular trend but once you sort of start moving up there's no going back...
it seems like there just isn't the interest and the market for juniors stylings

I don't think Juniors are over. Forever 21 is a popular junior fashion store. And Target's Go International designer lines tend to garner interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->