The History of "shaving-waxing"

*Eylul*

Reaction score
Gosh...i wonder how it all started...i mean,why must women shave?Why are we the ones who need to be hairless or so?:lol: I really want to talk bout it...i mean since when women have been shaving in order to look good?:blink: Or why do we see it like "if u don't shave,it is bad"...hmm whatever,what do u guys think bout it?:innocent:

Well... In a longer perspective, both men and women have been shaving/plucking/grooming body hairs for thousands of years... Ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece...

Yeah sure...but why?:lol:
I mean can anyone tell me the logical part of this action?:lol:
And i mean more the beauty part...

I don't really think there is any logic behind it... :lol:

It's all about look and feel...

Ok...but why do i feel like u r making me feel bad bout starting a thread bout this?:lol:

Oh, that was certainly not my intention! :P :flower:

In a shorter perspective though, it was quite OK for people to be a lot hairier than today during the "free and natural" 70's, for instance... I think fashion has a lot to do with it, and also that p*rn (whether you personally watch it or not) influences our view of what is "acceptable" because the aestethic spreads.

But I must say that it's not only something women have to do, men are also expected to shave and trim nowadays.

I just realised something which seems really obvious, less hair = more youthful.

Since we're obsessed with youth, it would be only natural to try to preserve the adolescent practically hairless look, just like we strive to keep the adolescent figure forever, and we snip and botox away saggings and wrinkles...

To be honest, I think it's a really interesting question I haven't really thought about. :wink:

Well let me see for me shaving is about feeling more comfortable with myself. Of course you don't like it to wear a skirt and be really hairy on your legs, do you?:wink: At the beach i feel much better if my skin is totally slick too i guess. I think there is also a bit of pressure on us woman because it is expected from men to be shaved. I'm really not obsessed with shaving like I forget every now and then if I don't wax and I have no problem with it. I agree with tott, I think fashion has a lot to do with it, in general our society, everywhere you see perfect, slick legs and you're being told that it's the ideal by advertisements and in addition there is the expectation of men to be shaved. Yes it's true that Men are expected to be shaved as well nowadays but I believe it isn't as strict as with woman and there are definitely less men than woman who are shaved.

^^Sure it has smth to do with fashion,that's why i've started a thread bout it on TFS^_^

Well,of course it is like u've just said...i agree with u completely but WHY?I mean why do we feel like it is more beautiful if the legs are shaved?I know,it is a pointless question to ask but i just don't get how it all started:lol:

Cos it is like in our heads;if u don't shave then ppl would stare at ur hairy legs:rolleyes: It is so annoying...:huh:

i think its just become a norm in our society, like other things such as it is the norm for people tobrush their hair. ok thats a crap example but do u no what i mean?

its about hygene. even in the koran it says women should wax their private parts, so its just hygenic. i think that plays a MAJOR part.

^

men are suppose to do that too though...

and i think it has absolutley nothing to do with being hygenic, except it makes you think it's more hygenic and it feels more hygenic. But really hair is not dirty ! Why is hair on your private parts any different than on your head or leg? As long as you take care of yourself properly hair plays no role in cleanliness.

Yep, I agree. It's a preference, not a hygiene issue. At least not today when we can shower and clean ourselves as often as we like/need to.

It's a cultural thing, something you're expected to do.

Hairy armpits are actually more efficient in avoiding stinkiness...the hair adds more surface area for deodorant. I've actually tested this theory.

I don't shave, wax, or trim my pubes, either. There's only one person besides myself whose business it is what goes on down there, and he doesn't mind. If he did, then it would be his own tough luck, I must say.

I do shave my legs, however. I'm a cyclist, and an accident prone one, and let us just say that bandaids stuck to leg-hair are NOT in any way a pleasant enhancement to any injury.

I find the process of shaving and/or waxing completely time consuming. I think I'm personally the only girl in my PE class that doesn't shave regularly. :innocent: But, I think it's more about how you look and feel. I, personally, would prefer not to wear shorts or skirts without shaving. But, then again, that rule only applies if I go to school- anywhere else, I don't care if there's hair on my legs.

i'd really rather not get into a sociological debate over why. but i'm getting waxed for the first time soon. can anyone tell me what to expect or how to prepare for it?

thanks.

can anyone tell me what to expect or how to prepare for it?

The first time I had my legs waxed, it hurt for only the first few strips. After a while you get used to it. You kind of just brace yourself for it and it's not too bad, it may sting for a couple of seconds. For me, the upper thighs hurt much more than the calves.

So expect a little pain... but some people handle it better than others.

Oh, and if your leg fuzz (I call it fuzz instead of hair :P) is really long, you should trim them a little with scissors but they should do that for you at the salon. OH, and make sure your legs aren't too dirty (like sweaty) or too clean (don't take a shower and then go) because apparently the wax doesn't stick well to the legs or something (my friend works at a salon and told me this).

Your legs feel ridiculously smooth afterwards and it's so weird wearing pants after that ;p

i think its all to do with how we've been brought up to think.

back when it first started (i have no idea when that is) i would suspect one person did it, and like everything that is once done, people see it and copy it if they liked it, so more people started to do it, and soon it became normal to do it. well thats my theory

why anyone would ever think of removing hair in the first place is like asking, why some one would ever think of cutting their hair in the first place... people experiment, for different reasons looks or maybe it was benificial (ie, stoped lice etc...)

and i supose it grew on people and became to be what it is now

i agree with TOTT and making you look more youthfull
and i also think it has become part of fashion (looking good) people think certain hair styles look good, just because they do, or because they've been brought up to think it looks good (i have no idea if im making any sence now)

so my conclusion is for why people do it at the present, is because its been around for as long as we rember, and we think it looks better.

people do it because they think it looks better. just because its what they think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with tott's comment about less hair = youth.

I'd also add something which I guess is fairly obvious: less hair = more feminine. Women are naturally less hairy than men and the pressure to become even less so probably came in part from the desire to exaggerate this difference between men and women and appear more feminine (and thus more fertile, and thus more attractive, etc). :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->