The Last Movie You Saw?

purplelucrezia said:
Not a traditional film, but a rather long documentary about Marilyn Monroe's relationship with the photographer Milton Green. Fascinating and very well done, despite the fact that I've never been that much of a fan of hers. I honestly was afraid to leave even for a moment for fear of missing anything... The public image of her has always been that of a generally daft blond, but the documentary revealed a great deal her depth, and I learned quite a bit that I had no idea of.
I've always found that so facinating about her. Even if you read some of her quotes she comes off much more intellectual then she was portrayed. Gotta love how the studios used to shape an image...

Karate Kid :ninja: :boxer:
Malibu's Most Wanted (it was actually funny!:o )
Phone Booth (really quite intense:bounce:; better than I expected )

Last edited by a moderator:
Spike413 said:
I've always found that so facinating about her. Even if you read some of her quotes she comes off much more intellectual then she was portrayed. Gotta love how the studios used to shape an image...
:mellow: I was in the market the other day and saw this very thick biography of Marilyn Monroe..I considered buying it for a couple minutes, then I though 'what the heck, I better buy 50 USs', but now that you say it..I perhaps will buy it out of curiosity.

MulletProof said:
:mellow: I was in the market the other day and saw this very thick biography of Marilyn Monroe..I considered buying it for a couple minutes, then I though 'what the heck, I better buy 50 USs', but now that you say it..I perhaps will buy it out of curiosity.
I've never read a complete biography of her, but from seeing that bio-pic Norma Jean and Marilyn her life was so much more complicated then the glamourous blonde with the boobs everybody saw.

Spike413 said:
I've never read a complete biography of her, but from seeing that bio-pic Norma Jean and Marilyn her life was so much more complicated then the glamourous blonde with the boobs everybody saw.
Incredibly true... That small taste of the reality actually fascinated me so much that I just sat down and wrote a hugely long journal entry about the documentary. I've made it "friends only" in my livejournal account, but if anyone outside would like to read it, I can make the entry public.
I've now finished watching His Butler's Sister, my very first Deanna Durbin movie. She was a very popular teen star of the thirties, but later lost a lot of her work because of a gradual weight gain. I really enjoyed the movie, charming and fun, and Deanna Durbin did have an incredible singing voice.
Totatally horrible dresses on her though! :lol:
back.jpg

I'm going to be watching The Postman Always Rings Twice, tomorrow. I'm starting a course on classic films from my university and it'll be the first of the series... I'm pretty excited, but I hope that it isn't too scary as my brother's warned me.

The Postman Always Rings Twice, for one of my classes. It was okay, but not one of my favourites from the era. I would have much rather seen a juicy Humphrey Bogart, or Joan Crawford picture. Next week we're watching Bullit, which I've already seen. I didn't much like the ending of that one, I can't stand it when movies just cut off like that... It is a classic though. I've now got to go watch the interviews and commentary as a follow-up.

I liked it, though it wasn't quite what I was expecting. It's very violent, in that it was unrelenting in its depiction of the horrors of trench warfare in WWI. :doh: You have to be in the right frame of mind for it, I think.

tealady said:
I liked it, though it wasn't quite what I was expecting. It's very violent, in that it was unrelenting in its depiction of the horrors of trench warfare in WWI. :doh: You have to be in the right frame of mind for it, I think.
I'm going to watch it anyway, although I must admit I was hoping for a more of a romance. Thanks for the heads-up in any case.
I just watched the 1981 remake of the Postman Always Rings Twice. It was a lot more noticeable, seeing all of the changes that were made, when I got to watch them one after the other. They took out several scenes and characters, and even added a pointless sequence with Angelica Houston and some circus animals. A lot more random sex scenes as well, which I'm not sure were totally necessary. I suppose they thought the additions would help them to sell tickets, but I found that the storyline itself worked best when laid out more simply.

Last edited by a moderator:
purplelucrezia said:
I'm going to watch it anyway, although I must admit I was hoping for a more of a romance.
me too!

Ended up watching Harry Potter with my sister last night, since we had a big storm yesterday and I couldn't leave the house. It ended up being really fun though, and I'm thinking we should do it more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->