The Row : from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
meens said:
I'm a fan of their fashion sense. A big one. But I have to say that this makes me uncomfortable because I think the term "designer" is thrown around way to loosely. I'm talking about all these celebrities with their lines that always interview "Oh I've always loved fashion so coming out with my own line was inevitable". Bull crap.
There are people who must work incredibly hard and have incredible talent to get to a point where they are given the freedom to design or contribute to a collection. It could be through prestigious schools or working themselves up from interns through years of learning the trade. Even if we might not like their collections we can't question their credentials as designers. But then you have someone who "likes fashion" a lot and has had the money to be around high end clothes who gets their own line and I need to ask myself if the reality is that there is some real designer who comes up with a bunch of idead whoch are then vetoed or accepted by the celebrity.
I mean the olsens have unique styles and know their clothes but something about them sitting down and going through the incredibly difficult process of turning a vision of a collection into actual clothes just doesn't ring true for me.

Karma for you :flower:.

:huh: I dont see anything remotely spectacular about that jacket, i actually kept searching the thread for THE jacket everyone was wowing at...i didnt know it was that thing she had on at the event. :lol: . i think they sell some similar ones at Urban Outfitters...tartan, short, puffy sleeves...nothing outstanding. i dont even think the material up close is something worth of mention.

meens said:
I'm a fan of their fashion sense. A big one. But I have to say that this makes me uncomfortable because I think the term "designer" is thrown around way to loosely. I'm talking about all these celebrities with their lines that always interview "Oh I've always loved fashion so coming out with my own line was inevitable". Bull crap.
There are people who must work incredibly hard and have incredible talent to get to a point where they are given the freedom to design or contribute to a collection. It could be through prestigious schools or working themselves up from interns through years of learning the trade. Even if we might not like their collections we can't question their credentials as designers. But then you have someone who "likes fashion" a lot and has had the money to be around high end clothes who gets their own line and I need to ask myself if the reality is that there is some real designer who comes up with a bunch of idead whoch are then vetoed or accepted by the celebrity.
I mean the olsens have unique styles and know their clothes but something about them sitting down and going through the incredibly difficult process of turning a vision of a collection into actual clothes just doesn't ring true for me.

I totally agree with you 100%B)

looking at the jacket and the tank... i think i'm gonna LOVE the whole collection... if there is one...

The Olsen twins have always created a clothing line. When they were younger they had a line for teens. I'm excited to see what they will do. They are very fashion conscious, even as bagged ladies. Can't wait to see the rest of their line.

Later,
Girlfriend

I also agree that the term designer is thrown around much too often these days.

I think Ashley is a girl with a great deal of personal style and probably has more talent for dressing than talent for acting. Fashion would be a good jump for her. This jacket is impressive but it is just one piece. I will be interested to see where she goes with this. I could see the line doing well if it has quality pieces and capitalizes on her popularity. A quality celebrity line is a rarity but it can be done. I think L.A.M.B. has some good things and hopefully The Row will follow suit. I don't know if she personally designs things though. Perhaps its like L.A.M.B. wherein the star helps out but a professional designer is always there in the background guiding their ideas into reality.

If nothing else this girl is a smart business woman.

I think she also designed that simple black leather jacket she always wears (not the Rick Owens zipper one).

Yes she did design one of the leather jackets she wears... when she was 14 I think. They have always had a hand in the designing of their kids line even when they were very young so this isnt a stretch for her. Also she did go to college for fashion design & interned with Zac Posen so Im thinking she did design this. I dont feel that she is just a celeb adding her name to a line & not doing any work on it.

I sort of agree with meens. I REALLY don't think Ashley Olsen grafts as much as some of the really hardworking designers out there. I don't doubt that she has fashion kudos but great dresser and accessoriser does not designer make. I actually think she would make a brilliant stylist providing she puts in the graft.

staticglamour said:
Can someone who has the August issue of Nylon check the price of the tank (maybe in "In This Issue" section)? That might give us an idea of the line's price range. ^_^ Thanks!

It doesn't name the price :flower:

I really feel sorry for these girls
for me they look ridiculous wearing designers clothes...
kinda like two little girls sneaking on mum's wardrobe, and stealing her outfits
they are grown ups now, but they still look like 4 year old girls

Maybe right now since they are 20 & look so young but the older they get the better itll be. Trust me I know... people think Im almost 20 years younger then I am & love, love, love it now.

This is the ONLY celeb I would allow to "design", I'm looking forward to seeing the collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny how Ashley only designed one jacket and its started a thread and already 4 pages of posts. lol. imagine how much attention her actual debut collection would get!

Cute. I actually have some faith in this, unlike most obnoxious celebrity lines.

I like it.

I like Ashley's style.

I like that the line's called The Row and not something that has OLSEN TWINS!!! in it.

i really like the jacket too, was wondering who designed it when i first saw it, i hope the rest of her line is as good as i expect it to be...

MulletProof said:
:huh: I dont see anything remotely spectacular about that jacket, i actually kept searching the thread for THE jacket everyone was wowing at...i didnt know it was that thing she had on at the event. :lol: . i think they sell some similar ones at Urban Outfitters...tartan, short, puffy sleeves...nothing outstanding. i dont even think the material up close is something worth of mention.

I absolutely agree. I could find a jacket like that at my local mall. These girls have stylists. I seriously doubt that Ms. Olsen actually designed the outfit and CREATED it herself. She'll simply capitalize on all those prepubescent fans of hers by just attaching her face and name to the clothing.

Maybe I'm biased because I've watched actual people design and create their own clothing on Project Runway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gal4dior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->