The Row Launches Menswear Again

StockholmFW

Reaction score
They had The Row menswear for a short while back in 2009.

wsj

Mention of the streetwear trend causes the sisters to raise their eyebrows in unison. “I don’t think people are taking big risks in menswear,” says Ashley.

“It’s funny, because this is more of a risk than putting words on a T-shirt,” Mary-Kate says. “Who knew that black, gorgeous, perfectly fitted suits would be a risk?”

The Row’s president, David Schulte, suggests the industry is lacking the male equivalent of the sophisticated ease that the label has offered women. “There’s plenty of hoodies out there, but there’s not a lot of places to go buy a beautiful suit,” he says.

The jacket was made in Japan, a nation whose strong tailoring tradition is little known in the U.S. This new men’s collection is The Row’s latest initiative, and the subdued tones subtly exude ease. There is no bold Gucci-inspired embroidery, Thom Browne–esque shrunken sizing or low-slung streetwear styling.

Ashley has been wearing the jacket as part of the meticulous system that she and her sister formulated since founding The Row in 2006. It is the result of a two-year project in which they and their small team traveled the globe, inspected seams, counted stitches and pitted factories against one another. Taking a page from industrial manufacturing, they employed performance trials that they call “wear-testing”: trying the clothes themselves or asking friends and associates to borrow samples and report back. This is not new—this is how The Row works: slowly.

Back to the jacket. Its cut is infinitesimally shorter than that of traditional blazers, and it features a style of lining the sisters discovered in Japan in which a layer of the suiting fabric is sewn inside nearly to the armpit. Into this is cut the interior pocket, which Ashley calls, with precision, a besom—the tailoring term for a flapless pocket with reinforced trim. A signature of The Row’s new suiting, this lining gives blazers a polished look while eliminating layers of horsehair or other structural materials that shape many European and American suit jackets.

The decision to expand into menswear was prompted by customers, friends and family who frequently asked, “When are you starting it? Where can I find it?” Ashley says. The concept was to create something “for the husband” of The Row’s female clients, adds Mary-Kate, noting that her own husband, Olivier Sarkozy, is a habitual suit wearer. In 2016, the sisters began the development process in earnest. “We spent a year really figuring out the fit of the suit,” says Ashley. “Single-breasted, double-breasted, tuxedo,” says Mary-Kate.

They labored over and then lengthened the pants’ rise at the waist. “I think a men’s rise has gotten short and small,” says Ashley. “There’s something about a slightly higher rise that is quite sexy.”

“We’re talking millimeters,” says Mary-Kate.

They sent identical instructions and materials to different factories, evaluating what came back. Some factories improved on the designs by perfecting the stitching around a buttonhole or collar, or making a subtly better curve on a cuff. “People have their strengths. We like to utilize them,” Mary-Kate says.

And designing for men has inspired the sisters to consider new tailoring for their women’s collections. Ashley says, “Menswear has shifted our eye.”

The row menswear sound like Hermes/Berluti by Haider kind of thing.
Maybe there's a market for them...

I just don't get this brand.

^ Agreed. I lost them years after years with their womenswear so i don't have any expectations. The menswear's codes are so limited and they are already very limited in terms of fashion that nothing will be groundbreaking. I repeat minimalism does not mean boredom.

I don't need another overpriced cashmere clothes, I am fine with Loro Piana. However I expect some good accessories from them. Their eyewear collaboration with Linda Farrow and Olivier Peoples are way too good:wub:

I'd rather take a Miu Miu mens revival over this.

Although I did like the shade against slogan t-shirts LOL.

I'd rather take a Miu Miu mens revival over this.

Although I did like the shade against slogan t-shirts LOL.

Ohh MiuMiu menswear was so good! Two of my favorite Menswear collections of all time were from Miu Miu.
But no, not under Katie Grand.

LOL at them saying there's not a lot of places for men to buy a great suit.

I could do without this.

I remember being obsessed with the model they cast for their first menswear cookbook....

Pretentious and overpriced. With so many better brands, why would anyone settle for this?

I don't understand why they sped into menswear territory without first working out any clear message for it, they might as well have been happy with womenswear alone.
Their price points make one think that they aim at going hand in hand with Hermes and Berluti by Haider, but unfortunately they neither have the heritage of the former or the talent of the latter.

Basic as hell. I was hoping this would look like what a menswear collection by Phoebe Philo would look like. The least they could have done is added some of the flourishes from the womenswear.

While I'm not a fan of the collection and I agree that it looks super basic, I don't think it's interchangeable with Veneta or Zegna. This is much more anonymous, low key and relaxed in my eye.

Basic as hell. I was hoping this would look like what a menswear collection by Phoebe Philo would look like. The least they could have done is added some of the flourishes from the womenswear.
You have Acne Studios for that if i remember well...
It is at least, IMO, the closest to Celine for menswear (and for women separates).

Based on that mrporter link alone, there's absolutely nothing you can't find elsewhere at a significantly cheaper pricepoint. I mean, it's not like we're expecting them to reinvent the wheel, but this just isn't necessary.

Thanks, Mary Kate & Ashley, for giving us something that nobody really asked for.

You have Acne Studios for that if i remember well...
It is at least, IMO, the closest to Celine for menswear (and for women separates).
maybe a few years ago but i feel acne has been a bit of a mess lately, you either get really boring stuff in mediocre quality or stuff that seems to have been designed for instagram in mediocre quality
i'm not surprised their business is slowing down

^So true. I went to Acne last week and such a disappointment. Huge waste of my time. I truly wonder where men can go to have this Céline vibe. I like minimalist pieces but I need a twist, an edge. For a time I thought the Row could really bring something on the table but year after year I realised how dull this brand is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodopolfo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->