UK Elle July 2007 : Drew Barrymore

tigerrouge

don't look down
Reaction score
Saw it on my way to work this morning, Drew Barrymore on the cover, and as the image seemed familiar, chances are this is another reprint from her 2006 US Elle cover appearance. No scans yet to be found on the net. Thin issue, comes with free pair of flipflops.

Eds are
Jewel Box - Ph Todd Barry, Olga M at Marilyn
Hippy Chic - Ph Luis Sanchis, Jack at Marilyn & Julia Ryndich at IMG
Sailor Girl - Ph Ezra Patchett, Natascha Gilbert at Premier

1 page article on Agyness Deyn
3 pages on Jessica Alba, reprint from US Elle
7 pages on Drew Barrymore

I'll scan some later, but first I need lunch :rofl:

Aye, picked up mine at lunchtime - the cover shot is recycled from her editorial in US Elle October 2006 - it's this shot. It's nice enough, but it's EIGHT MONTHS after its original outing, such is UK Elle's devotion to showcasing fashion of the moment.

Attachments

• ElleCover.jpg
    ElleCover.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
Finished my flick-through. I'd actually bought this in the hope of seeing the occasional pre-fall ad or feature, but the only new thing I see is a scary L'Oreal ad with Linda Evangelista, where one half of her face has six layers of make-up and the other half as bare as a baby's. The edits are alright, but not something you'd make an effort to look twice at. Only the beauty section made me perk up and stop complaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally bollocks issue! Can't believe I bought it - but I was desperate for a read on the journey home!:lol:

And yes, the Drew Barrymore feature is a re-print of the US version :angry:

UK Elle needs to get it's game on..

Here's a ropy scan of the cover from ebay.co.uk - as you can see, it's by no means a bad cover overall, nice and casual - but surely fashion is about the here and now, rather than seeing October 2006 in June 2007. I know recycling is chic, but I'm not impressed.

Attachments

• elle_0707.jpg
    elle_0707.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 6
When Hachette took full control of UK Elle a while back, I wondered if we'd see more of Bensimon's work in the magazine - someone who claimed to work for Hachette said there'd be no such thing, but ever since the takeover, there's been recycled cover after recycled cover, and celebrity features that are a direct reprint. US Elle is widely available in the UK, so by doing this, UK Elle isn't offering anything new. I'd be better off buying the American version - and skipping my own. Why pay twice over for the same thing?

Personally I don't mind when UK Elle re-uses pics/covers because I can't stand US Elle. I only brought it once because I was extremely bored and regreted it when I got home.

I find US Elle to be completely boring and just a more glamourous version of Cosmo. At least in UK Elle they have interesting articles and most of those articles are about FASHION not politics or people dying. They also have a good balance of designer and high street fashion.

I don't really see the point of US Elle or even US Glamour (UK Glamour sucks as well). I guess it just caters to the people that say don't like Vogue or Harpers whereas I love them (I just ignore the covers with Parisite's on them).

Thanks for the info.

I completely agree that UK Elle's coverage of street fashion is really good, which is why I'm disappointed it doesn't do its own covers these days, and bring some of that streetwise cool to the forefront, and make it the whole identity of the magazine.

You know, I find US Elle to have some of the most interesting articles about relationships that I've ever read in a magazine - well thought-out yet deeply personal pieces about the nature of motherly love, sibling rivalry and marriage. All UK Elle can offer me is thoughts about speed dating in the local pub and "aren't men crap, let's all eat more chocolate". So while it's not been on top form recently, US Elle does occasionally have some merit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->