UK Vogue August 2024 : Suki Waterhouse by Colin Dodgson

Listen y’all. I’m just glad to see this cover after last month’s atrocity. That was rough!

First Italia, then Paris, and now the UK, all these dreadful visuals just to make Anna’s Vogue more desirable in comparison lol.

I really want to understand what they want us, the public, to think when we see this cover.

but hey, it matches the title of her new single! The filter over her voice is really a choice.
Like when you order a Sky Ferreira song on Wish.

I did not think for one second that in 2024, we'd be getting a Suki Waterhouse cover of British Vogue. Again, not one redeeming feature to a cover from Chioma Nnadi. The photography from Colin Dodgson is awful, hate that horrid yellow tinge, the composition, the cropping... the list goes on.

I do honestly think that Chioma's British Vogue is a better magazine as a whole than Edward's Vogue (More interesting articles, and better flow). But I do agree that she hasn't produced any great covers. Even Samira's Bazaar's cover is finally giving something since the arrival of Carlos.

There's disconnect with the picture and the headlines. "Summer of Love" but it's giving Autumn. And I don't get the clothing choice as well.

Even if they no longer care about standing out on newsstand with eye catching cover, at least make the cover stand out so people stop to look at it on social media.

I have nothing against Suki, her baby or even her hubby, but if someone deserved the UK Vogue cover this month it HAD to be Charli XCX! She's a brit and delivered with ‘BRAT’ the album of the year. It's not only the highest rated album of a pop female artist by pitchfork this year surpassing ‘Cowboy Carter’ - it's full of huge bangers and opened at No. 1 on the Billboard Charts (Dance/Electronic). She tours atm the biggest festivals (Glastonbury, Roskilde). Plus: She's absolutely beautiful and has an unique style.

Such a missed opportunity.

As a fashion shoot, this is not bad. It's either cosy heavy textures or long light flous, there is a clear theme going on. So rare to see a stylist knows what she is doing...

unlike Dara one of the worst stylist in the business with that Hunter Vogue Italia with 10 themes in one shoot

now they are left with Robert Pattinson's dating history (FKA Twigs, Suki Waterhouse), some rapper who has never released an album and Sophie Turner detailing her divorce from a Jonas Brother.
Now bring me Kristen Stewart, at least maybe Chanel would pay for her cover... Vogue UK is like Grazia these days

Except for Zendaya, Chioma puts the most random people on British Vogue's covers. That excludes Mona, too, of course, since she got that cover by default in case people won't buy Central Cee's solo cover.
I have nothing against Suki, her baby or even her hubby, but if someone deserved the UK Vogue cover this month it HAD to be Charli XCX! She's a brit and delivered with ‘BRAT’ the album of the year. It's not only the highest rated album of a pop female artist by pitchfork this year surpassing ‘Cowboy Carter’ - it's full of huge bangers and opened at No. 1 on the Billboard Charts (Dance/Electronic). She tours atm the biggest festivals (Glastonbury, Roskilde). Plus: She's absolutely beautiful and has an unique style.

Absolutely!

I said that last month for their "music" issue. The issue was released the week of the album. Made no sense.

what's with the return to Shulman-era 'posh London girls with Kate Moss boho rock n'roll pretensions and a dad paying for their London flat'-type cover girls? are we supposed to pretend any of this is interesting in the year 2024?

If they cared about relevance, Charli XCX should have been on that cover for summer after Brat. Or Riley Keough last year, if it was actually about Daisy Jones (as a nepo pull, I'd say being the granddaughter of Elvis and Priscilla Presley and then leading a show about a Stevie Nicks-alike makes for more interesting copy/a better story than 'posh lady best known for being famous people's gf'. Like please, at least FKA Twigs and Sophie Turner were famous in their own right).

what's with the return to Shulman-era 'posh London girls with Kate Moss boho rock n'roll pretensions and a dad paying for their London flat'-type cover girls? are we supposed to pretend any of this is interesting in the year 2024?
Spot on!

For obvious reasons all of the latest cover «stars» from the Chioma era are brand ambassadors (FKA Twigs for Calvin Klein, Sophie Turner for Louis Vuitton, and Suki Waterhouse's man Robert Pattinson for Dior Homme and Dior Fragrances). It makes sense in times when less and less people buy this shadow of a Vogue anymore. They have to find new ways to get some money in - and take any chance to get the marketing endorsements from the fashion big players to survive in the long run. It's sad, it's boring and it's the nail in the coffin for any creativity in print. If they continue like this they will loose even their hardcore readers & and can close business in two years.

It's such a nonbrainer that a UK Vogue cover for Charli XCX is long overdue.
The editorial staff knows that themselves as they try to do some damage control the last days to cover the missed opportunity by putting out multiple articles about Charli, her famous friends and style & the huge influence of Brat on the website. it's waaaaay too late and desperate to also jump on the successful bandwagon. Vogue Magazine used to be a leader (a long time ago) - now they are not even followers anymore. They are just paid pr-robots to please their big advertisers.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-07-04 um 08.36.06.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-07-04 um 08.37.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2024-07-04 um 08.36.45.png
vogue uk

It's honestly ridiculous, I thought we were past it after Edward (and honestly, him flushing the 'coven of Rosies' including the 'posh blondes who tousle their hair a bit and think they're the next Anita Pallenberg/Stevie Nicks' types off the magazine pages was one of the better aspects of his time as EIC) but we're right back to it? Nothing against Suki or her relationship/offspring, but it wasn't interesting then and it isn't now.

If they wanted to be lazy they just can do yet another Kate Moss cover - WITHOUT her dead-eyed nepo kid as a package deal please - that would be preferable, at least Kate can pose. And it's madness to me that Charli has never had a cover despite being an actually brilliant and impactful recording artist (even pre-BRAT), being British, supporting British designers etc.

Even if they wanted to go the 'representation' angle with Charli, she's mixed-race on top of it (not that she ever needed to tick boxes to be worthy of a cover, she deserved it as an artist, period). Missed opportunity but not surprising considering the creativity deficit you described.

Last edited:
Edward was no stranger to cosying up to the people appearing on the pages of Tatler, which are a changing set of faces backed by fortunes made both here and abroad. Only the traditional variety tend to be blonde, but there are plenty who aren't.

^his version of it at least made a change from the usual 'Princess XYZ of wannabe-Bohemia/random model we discovered who's really the granddaughter of the Earl of Whatever/seemingly random blonde who is really the childhood friend of an editor's daughter and they met at their pricey independent school, tee hee ' aesthetic of the set described above. I have a lot of criticisms of his Vogue years and how disappointing the magazine was but this particular aspect is not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixlehr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->