US Harper’s Bazaar September 2023 : Kendall Jenner, Doja Cat & Paul Mescal by Mario Sorrenti

^^^ I stan Samira. Still way way way leagues above the amateur mess of Anna’s/Edward’s Vogues.

lucille-arrested-development.gif

Then your taste in editors is as questionable as your taste in men. Some of us won't forget your very public endorsement of Colby Keller's Vivienne Westwood campaign. :smirking:

You can't put lipstick on a pig. All I've been seeing from Samira ever since she took charge of this role is unevolved fashion. Yes, some of the shoots by talented creatives such as Camille Bidault-Waddington are good, but then there were also the Yashua Simmons shoots.
The very ethos of this was frothy and at times almost juvenile take on fashion, but even then it was evolved in the sense that it wasn't pretending to be something it was not. Samira is running this magazine like it's Dazed which it isn't and never will be. You won't find ads for processed yellow cheese wrapped in individual plastic pouches in Dazed.

Tenor

lucille-arrested-development.gif

Then your taste in editors is as questionable as your taste in men. Some of us won't forget your very public endorsement of Colby Keller's Vivienne Westwood campaign. :smirking:

You can't put lipstick on a pig. All I've been seeing from Samira ever since she took charge of this role is unevolved fashion. Yes, some of the shoots by talented creatives such as Camille Bidault-Waddington are good, but then there were also the Yashua Simmons shoots.
The very ethos of this was frothy and at times almost juvenile take on fashion, but even then it was evolved in the sense that it wasn't pretending to be something it was not. Samira is running this magazine like it's Dazed which it isn't and never will be. You won't find ads for processed yellow cheese wrapped in individual plastic pouches in Dazed.

Tenor

LOL In no way is Samira a strong editor— like Diana, Liz, Franca, Fabien, Emmanuelle, Carine (when she was with Vogue Paris)…

It's a knee-jerk reaction to “stan” her since she gets predictably dismissed so quickly around these parts (with the calls for Glenda’s return LOL). Her vision of modern women— and it’s always women, not girls, that hold so much potential. She consistently stands by casting and showcasing women. It’s the lesser creatives that she surrounds herself with that consistently lets her vision down. But I’ve mentioned this countless times before, and unfortunately, “potential” is all that’s there of her Bazaar. Have a look through her Bazaar history, and maybe you’ll understand what I mean.

It's a knee-jerk reaction to “stan” her since she gets predictably dismissed so quickly around these parts (with the calls for Glenda’s return LOL). Her vision of modern women— and it’s always women, not girls, that hold so much potential. She consistently stands by casting and showcasing women.

I agree, calls for Glenda are a step too far, but you're really correct with Samira focusing on women and not girls. I think this is also why I've become so obsessed with vintage magazines because the fashion and imagery was about women. And I think the potential is why I get so annoyed with what Harper's Bazaar puts out.

^^^ No amount of drugs/alcohol will ever distort my perception enough to wish Glenda back, in any capacity. I get that taste is subjective, but she’s always been consistently tacky and camp.

It’s absolutely frustrating why Samira— with all the connections she’s so privileged to, can’t/won’t pull through time and time again with the results. Surrounding herself with the best team to realize her vision of women would be a start. And as much as I like Italian and French Bazaar, there’s still this dreamy, even fantasy idealization of women that isn’t as grounded as Samira’s if she would actually pull through. The Western Vogues are useless at this point, but Western Bazaar really could be a worthy contender to keep publication alive, and Samira’s just throwing it away, because again— the potential is there. It’s just the execution. So frustrating.

And really, Kendall’s cover is good. The styling is just graphic— and awkward enough, and still very on-brand with MiuMiu, and low-key attention-grabbing to leave an impression. Sometimes, and in context to the more polite, refined cover selects of French and Italian Bazaar, it’s a good spike to the brand for something that’s just a tad bad taste. (Doja's is too on the nose Vegas drag queen. No thank you. And that guy’s is instantly forgettable.)

^ but don’t we need that ? I feel like now every magazine is quite dull and inoffensive with 90% of the time a white/grey background. I have more in my mind the cover of Rihanna with a shark or Demi Moore on the back with the giraffe , gwyneth Paltrow in Anthony Vaccarello, Katy Perry with the red strass lips than any cover from Samira.

Where is the cheesy and tacky from publications ? We need bad taste not no taste. This is what Samira gives us every month.

The fashion publications does not challenge anyone’s anymore. Now we have the ones who try to shock for the purpose of it and the other ones that are so politically correct that they stand for nothing.

^ but don’t we need that ? I feel like now every magazine is quite dull and inoffensive with 90% of the time a white/grey background. I have more in my mind the cover of Rihanna with a shark or Demi Moore on the back with the giraffe , gwyneth Paltrow in Anthony Vaccarello, Katy Perry with the red strass lips than any cover from Samira.

Where is the cheesy and tacky from publications ? We need bad taste not no taste. This is what Samira gives us every month.

The fashion publications does not challenge anyone’s anymore. Now we have the ones who try to shock for the purpose of it and the other ones that are so politically correct that they stand for nothing.

Bad taste? Sure: Miuccia did it so well with the best of her past Prada. With Raf, it's just tacky.

There’s deliberate camp done well, like David LaChapelle, and there’s deliberate bad taste-- even vulgar, done well, like like Terry Richardson. Even Juergen can be clever with bad taste and vulgarity. Glenda, not so much. She didn’t ever seem to deliberately be going for camp and bad taste. Instead, she always gave the impression that her tackiness was glamorous…

^^^ No amount of drugs/alcohol will ever distort my perception enough to wish Glenda back, in any capacity. I get that taste is subjective, but she’s always been consistently tacky and camp.

It’s absolutely frustrating why Samira— with all the connections she’s so privileged to, can’t/won’t pull through time and time again with the results. Surrounding herself with the best team to realize her vision of women would be a start. And as much as I like Italian and French Bazaar, there’s still this dreamy, even fantasy idealization of women that isn’t as grounded as Samira’s if she would actually pull through. The Western Vogues are useless at this point, but Western Bazaar really could be a worthy contender to keep publication alive, and Samira’s just throwing it away, because again— the potential is there. It’s just the execution. So frustrating.

And really, Kendall’s cover is good. The styling is just graphic— and awkward enough, and still very on-brand with MiuMiu, and low-key attention-grabbing to leave an impression. Sometimes, and in context to the more polite, refined cover selects of French and Italian Bazaar, it’s a good spike to the brand for something that’s just a tad bad taste. (Doja's is too on the nose Vegas drag queen. No thank you. And that guy’s is instantly forgettable.)
My feeling is that a big part of why American fashion magazines are so bad in general right now is FEAR. Everyone (yes, even EICs of color, based on conversations I've had) are afraid of being dragged on social media for being racist, sexist, ageist, etc. This kind of fear is paralyzing for creative expression and breeds mediocrity. I just can't stand where fashion media is right now and hope a backlash will force the pendulum to swing in the other direction. It's simmering under the surface. People are sick of being ruled by the idiot social media warriors.

Mario Sorrenti is one of the most underrated photographers in my opinion... I definitely think he should receive more work, which has been happening recently, but unfortunately none of the opportunities he's received is delivering anything good.HARD PASS.

Excuse me... Mario Sorrenti has recently photographed covers for Vogue Australia, Elle US, French Harper's Bazaar, and now US Harper's Bazaar, i-D, V magazine, and Holiday, all within the past 6 months. Busiest Photographer of the Season Award. He epitomizes the globalization of fashion photography. I was ok with the first few covers, now they all look the same and they keep coming! And if nothing is good it may be because he has nothing left to say? I

Last edited:
Everything as usual looks DRAB as hell, poor and cheap and as grunge as ever.
Samira's Bazaar is the worst in history.
True that Glenda's Bazaar was camp and cheesy but it had a GLAMOROUS vision as well as specific formulaic layouts and all : it was campy and bad at times but it had that ''branding'' just like Vogue Nippon had its own.
Both editions of Bazaar are bad, true, but Samira shouldn't have ever been considered for the job of EIC but YOU KNOW LOL woke / inclusivity and all that jazzz... ahaahh BORING.
NO icon, just BS.
NEXT !

^^^ Bertrando is so passionate!

My feeling is that a big part of why American fashion magazines are so bad in general right now is FEAR. Everyone (yes, even EICs of color, based on conversations I've had) are afraid of being dragged on social media for being racist, sexist, ageist, etc. This kind of fear is paralyzing for creative expression and breeds mediocrity. I just can't stand where fashion media is right now and hope a backlash will force the pendulum to swing in the other direction. It's simmering under the surface. People are sick of being ruled by the idiot social media warriors.

Absolutely. Publications and their editors answer to their advertisers, and their advertisers have given into not just answering to, but appeasing, even grovelling for follows/likes from people, from children, that never cared for high fashion— just logo/monogrammed merch to flex with while faux-raging at everything and everyone. And this current fashion era is the result. (Not just fashion of course, but the music industry, the entertainment industry. The current Ne-Yo takedown by the mob is what happens when anyone dares express an opinion that doesn’t align with the mob’s. He didn’t express anything hateful or encouraged anything harmful, just an opinion. And good for him for pushing back against his publicist’s kowtowing to the mob, by doubling down on his opinion and not apologizing.)

We all know someone like Anna knows better that the garbage she signs off on is pure trash— especially the current September issue coverstory. But she does it anyway because she has to remain relevant to the current fashion climate, which sadly, is plagued by social.

Glenda wasn't camp, she was kitsch!!

Samira's Bazaar is the worst in history.

As someone who spent too much time looking at the Bazaar archives last summer... nah, some of Anthony Mazzola's issues from the 1970s to 1990s were downright repellant and dreadful. Sure, the covers of old supermodels are ok... but the contents were pretty meh. I can guarantee you anything Samira puts in these issues (that I don't read lol) is 100X better than that dreck.

Well Kendall was a legend on Vogue Paris.

Kendall's cover is actually good and should be the only one. She fits Samira's Bazaar well.

The 14 Most Influential Icons of 2023, according to Harper's Bazaar :tearsofjoy:

Doja Cat, Rapper & Singer
Nia DaCosta, Writer & Director
Greta Lee, Actress
Zaya Wade, Model & Activist
Justin Jones & Justin J. Pearson, Tennessee State Representative
Kendall Jenner, Model & Entrepreneur
Parris Goebel, Choreographer & Creative Director
James Whiteside, Dancer, Drag Performer, Musician, & Choreographer
Paul Mescal, Actor
Leila Mottley, Writer
Golshifteh Farahani, Actress
Teyana Taylor, Singer & Actress