US Vogue March 2023 : Erykah Badu by Jamie Hawkesworth

Beautiful cover, Hawkesworth is in top form here! And quite frankly the last person I'd have imagined on the cover of American Vogue because I don't believe she's got any albums, movies or campaigns out? She's also not a social media 'star'? This is refreshing for a change.

She'll probably talk about her vagina-scented incense and yoni eggs, but at least it's better than reading a puff piece on another Kardashian.

While I have no objections towards the image, I simply don't get a sense that I'm looking at a fashion magazine cover. The fashion magazine at that. I don't care for it, I don't hate it, I don't love it - I'm indifferent. And that's not good.

Erykah looks powerful and beautiful. This would've been a great cover image for WSJ. Magazine.

They really swung for the fences here in terms of originality. Who could possibly have seen this coming?!

It’s a lovely photo and I love seeing her photographed so naturally, but I agree it doesn’t feel like a fashion magazine cover.

I love it when a cover is unexpected. A long-established artist who might have interesting things to say. And Vogue are shooting outside of a studio, which is also great.

The editorial seems to be up at vogue.com, it does seem half the images could be swapped for the cover shot without making that much of a difference.

Never thought I'd see the day. An absolute gorgeous cover. There's something about it that gives a sense of hope. (not me being sappy at 10pm).

Hope there's more text to make up for the empty space. But otherwise, STUNNING.

Since her Tom Ford’s « White Patchouli », it has been a long dream of mine to see this happen!
Fabulous!
I like this kind of surprises from Anna.

So random but oh so great. A must-buy!

While I have no objections towards the image, I simply don't get a sense that I'm looking at a fashion magazine cover. The fashion magazine at that. I don't care for it, I don't hate it, I don't love it - I'm indifferent. And that's not good.

Erykah looks powerful and beautiful. This would've been a great cover image for WSJ. Magazine.

You absolutely nailed it.
This is a beautiful cover, and I think we are all deliiiiighted in seeing Erykah Badu on Vogue (!!!!) but this image feels more suited for WSJ or T or the like.
The article mentions the mystical power of Ms. Badu. The editorial does nothing to represent that.
That being said, i'm still very excited for this - it's major!

Very unconventional yet deserves to be called an ICON. I love it. Reminds me of one of my favorite Vogue US covers in recent times (October 2021).

unexpected cover choice for sure but it’s a nice surprise, it’s a beautiful image. hopefully the content will be strong.
deffo a must-have.

Beyond unexpected. I would imagine her on the cover of The Gentlewoman before Vogue.

PS—I really wish the newsstand versions would've had left or right justified type. I don't like how the type here is centered and over her hair instead of just over the landscape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->