Vanity Fair September 2017 : Angelina Jolie by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

If that was in the original VF article, would she not have had some degree of copy approval of the content, given this is part of her and Brad's PR war?

I think so as well! She'd have had photo approval as well, I'm sure. I'm not buying whatever she's selling.

Angelina Jolie keeps digging her white privilege hole deeper.
I love that Vanity Fair isn't putting up with any of her BS.
GC don't play. Just ask Trump.

Good for Vanity Fair for providing the transcript of the interview and not putting up with her bs. But I guess the long relationship they've had is now over.
Our September cover story, “A Life in Bold,” a portrait of actress Angelina Jolie by contributing editor Evgenia Peretz, has been the subject of some controversy, specifically the paragraph that follows, which describes the casting of Cambodian children in Jolie’s upcoming film, First They Killed My Father:

“To cast the children in the film, Jolie looked at orphanages, circuses, and slum schools, specifically seeking children who had experienced hardship. In order to find their lead, to play young Loung Ung, the casting directors set up a game, rather disturbing in its realism: they put money on the table and asked the child to think of something she needed the money for, and then to snatch it away. The director would pretend to catch the child, and the child would have to come up with a lie. ‘Srey Moch [the girl ultimately chosen for the part] was the only child that stared at the money for a very, very long time,’ Jolie says. ‘When she was forced to give it back, she became overwhelmed with emotion. All these different things came flooding back.’ Jolie then tears up. ‘When she was asked later what the money was for, she said her grandfather had died, and they didn’t have enough money for a nice funeral.’”
Some reporters and readers raised concerns about the casting process. Jolie responded in a statement, saying the audition had been taken out of context, and added she was upset that “a pretend exercise in an improvisation . . . had been written about as if it was a real scenario.” She also stated “the suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting. I would be outraged myself if this had happened.”

On August 1, Jolie’s lawyer contacted V.F., saying Peretz had “mistakenly” reported the incident, and asked us to run a statement, excerpts of which follow: “The casting crew showed the children the camera and sound recording material, explaining to them that they were going to be asked to act out a part. . . . The children were not tricked as some have suggested. . . . All of the children auditioning were made aware of the fictional aspect of the exercise and were tended to at all times by relatives or guardians from NGOs. . . . We apologize for any misunderstanding.”

Jolie’s lawyer also asked us to remove the original paragraph from the online version of Peretz’s story and to publish the above statement prominently, with the title “Angelina Jolie Correction” in the October edition of V.F. and also on VF.com.

In response to these requests, V.F. reviewed the transcript and audiotape of Peretz’s interview with Jolie for the story. Peretz had recorded it on two devices. A transcript of the relevant section is reproduced below.

AJ: But it was very hard to find a little Loung. And so it was what they call a slum school. I don’t think that’s a very nice word for it, but a school for kids in very poor areas.
And I think, I mean they didn’t know. We just went in and—you just go in and do some auditions with the kids. And it’s not really an audition with children. We had this game where it would be—and I wasn’t there and they didn’t know what they were really doing. They kind of said, “Oh, a camera’s coming up and we want to play a game with you.” And the game for that character was “We’re going to put some money on the table. Think of something that you need that money for.” Sometimes it was money, sometimes it was a cookie. [Laughter] “And then take it.” And then we would catch them. “We’re going to catch you, and we’d like you to try to lie that you didn’t have it.”
So it was very interesting seeing the kids and how they would—some were very conscious of the camera. They were actually—there are so many talented kids in this country. But Srey Moch was the only child that stared at that money for a very, very long time before she picked it up, and then bravely, brazenly lying, like was trying to hide, but then she also kind of—
EP: Wait. This is the girl, Loung.
AJ: This is the girl. And then when she was forced to give it back became very kind of like strong, emotional, she became overwhelmed with emotion that she was—and she just—all of these different things flooded out. And I don’t think she or her family would mind me saying when she was later asked what that money was for, she said her grandfather died and they didn’t have enough money for a nice funeral.
After reviewing the audiotape, V.F. stands by Peretz’s story as published.

Capturing Calvin Klein ​​​​

Vanity Fair September 2017 Digital Edition

Wow what a blunder on Jolie's case, VF really revealed her trying to get out of this mess. How deluded do you have to be to even think its ok to do this, let alone talk about it in a cover piece for VF?

And then she sent her lawyers? Good for VF for not kissing her ***, and showing some backbone, it sure won't serve them well with some other celebs, or to work with her in the future, but she should be ashamed of herself for doing this to kids to be in her movie, unbeliavable!!

Finally, the truth is laid bare! I hope they'll relay this statement to anyone who would listen. Evgenia Peretz's writing career would have been tatters by this forever. Good on her to declare the transcripts.

No more Jolie covers for VF, but they'll survive without her. I wonder if, just like Dolce & Gabanna, she persuaded Anna to intervene on her behalf....

Finally, the truth is laid bare! I hope they'll relay this statement to anyone who would listen. Evgenia Peretz's writing career would have been tatters by this forever. Good on her to declare the transcripts.

No more Jolie covers for VF, but they'll survive without her. I wonder if, just like Dolce & Gabanna, she persuaded Anna to intervene on her behalf....

Ha! I'd love to see Graydon and Anna go at it.

I want to know who Jolie bumped off the cover. This whole thing was supposed to be a reaction to Pitt's GQ cover. Big fail for Jolie. Hollywood loves and adores Pitt. Remember the reaction at the last GG's when he came out to present. Hollywood is on his side.

Angelina Jolie is just too straaange.

Glad to see VF stick up for their writer. And two different recording devices - smart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->