Vanity Fair September 2021 : Sean Combs by Kaito

I went to look at who was on their covers in 1999, and got sidetracked by the sight of Hedy Lamarr answering the Proust Questionnaire in one issue, which started me wondering - if we're going to have nostalgia, why we don't see more coverage in the current VF of still-living legends like Sidney Poitier? The man is one of the last remaining stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood - are we going to wait until he dies to start celebrating his life and achievements?

Imagine the interview you could have with that man about everything he's seen and done during his 94 years on this earth.

Looks more like a 1996 cover with a 2001 celeb. He's giving the athlete pose, and it matchs with olympics. Talking about Britney, i think CN would likely to give her a Vogue cover insted a VF one, but I never knew why Anna don't call her for gracing the cover again.

Talking about Britney, i think CN would likely to give her a Vogue cover insted a VF one, but I never knew why Anna don't call her for gracing the cover again.

Because despite the vast number of people trying to pretend they’ve been hardcore Britney the whole time, in light of #FreeBritney’s resurgence, her career actually had very much faded. She certainly wasn’t topping the charts in the past decade the way she once did, and many people had written her off as damaged goods or “crazy”. Most of her fandom had come down to the gays and millennials that had nostalgic fond memories of her. I’m not saying that is fair, but if Vogue had given her a cover at any point in the past 15 years, the general public would have had a “wtf” reaction.

I absolutely adore Britney, including her most recent albums, have documented “Free Britney” type posts on my social media going back at least a decade, and used to get in trouble for singing her songs in school (“sl*t songs” as the teachers in my Catholic High-school called them), so I say this with love, but I don’t really think she belongs on Vogue. I think Vanity Fair is a much better fit.

Because despite the vast number of people trying to pretend they’ve been hardcore Britney the whole time, in light of #FreeBritney’s resurgence, her career actually had very much faded. She certainly wasn’t topping the charts in the past decade the way she once did, and many people had written her off as damaged goods or “crazy”. Most of her fandom had come down to the gays and millennials that had nostalgic fond memories of her. I’m not saying that is fair, but if Vogue had given her a cover at any point in the past 15 years, the general public would have had a “wtf” reaction.

I absolutely adore Britney, including her most recent albums, have documented “Free Britney” type posts on my social media going back at least a decade, and used to get in trouble for singing her songs in school (“sl*t songs” as the teachers in my Catholic High-school called them), so I say this with love, but I don’t really think she belongs on Vogue. I think Vanity Fair is a much better fit.

Not that it matters necessarily but Britney has pretty much always been culturally relevant though (I mean wasn't her Vegas residency from the last decade like one of the most successful ever per example and "made" it a hip thing/all these other pop acts do it too?) and will clearly remain a very beloved celebrity especially from now on due to her conservatorship situation, even if she's not lighting the Billboard charts or Top 40 radio on fire. I'm not even a fan of hers like that and would much rather see her (let alone consider her WAY more deserving) over plenty other celebrities that have covered Vogue in recent years as well and I'm sure plenty others would agree... a Vogue cover is surely the least of her concerns/goals anyway.

Last edited:
I really appreciate this cover which is a great return to masculinity.

Great cover and, as a 90's child myself, there's nothing I love more than the period from '96-'02, so this is right up my street.

Not so keen on the cover but I love the editorial, they should have given him a more fashionale cover he can pull it off.

VF0921_Diddy_Lede.jpg

VF0921_Diddy_Embed.jpg

Ph Kaito
Styled by June Ambrose

photos Vanity Fair

Vanity Fair September 2021

Future Nostalgia

Photography: Emma Summerton
Styling: Arianne Phillips
Hair: Ashanti Lation, Danilo
Makeup: Rokael, Kabuki
Cast: Keke Palmer, Charles Melton, Barbara Palvin, Dylan Sprouse, Addison Rae, Normani, Sydney Sweeney, Madelaine Petsch, Olivia Holt, Cailee Spaeny, King Princess, Cordell Broadus, Storm Reid, Patrick Schwarzenegger,

Vanity Fair Digital Edition

Got my copy last week and I haven't even flipped through it yet. I remember the days of being so excited to get into a new issue.

Not that it matters necessarily but Britney has pretty much always been culturally relevant though (I mean wasn't her Vegas residency from the last decade like one of the most successful ever per example and "made" it a hip thing/all these other pop acts do it too?) and will clearly remain a very beloved celebrity especially from now on due to her conservatorship situation, even if she's not lighting the Billboard charts or Top 40 radio on fire. I'm not even a fan of hers like that and would much rather see her (let alone consider her WAY more deserving) over plenty other celebrities that have covered Vogue in recent years as well and I'm sure plenty others would agree... a Vogue cover is surely the least of her concerns/goals anyway.

I think Britney reached such a high level of fame so early on, and became so iconic (I know that word is thrown around so much, but it really applies here) that she's been permanently relevant ever since, even if she hasn't released a hit album or single in a while and even if almost all the press around her is negative, as it seemingly was for several years. Concerning her Vegas residency, yes it was very successful. But there mere fact that she was doing a Vegas residency seemed to many to be a signifier that she was well past her career high. I mean, when I think Vegas residencies I think Celine Dion, Elton John, Janet Jackson, Donny and Marie Osmond, etc. They all make an absolute killing because people are always going to Vegas and taking in a show, especially with a big performer and a nostalgia factor. It's seemingly just part of the Vegas experience. And I think Britney's show banked on that. Millennials flocked to her show to see her perform the songs they grew up loving. It's kind of a safe bet, you don't risk not being able to sell tickets in Tulsa or something. Another part of it, I think, is that if you're an artist with young kids or health issues or anything else going oh that makes touring hard, Vegas is a good opportunity. Adele is rumored to be considering a residency, and she's still very much at the top of her game. Gaga did a short residency a couple of years ago, in part, I think, because of her struggles with lupus. The landscape of Vegas residencies has been changing for a while, though, and Britney may have something to do with that. Or maybe people just saw how much money Celine was making year after year....

Anyway, enough about Vegas. Britney is forever relevant and forever believed by her fans. I count myself as one of them. But nothing about her image, her interests, and her legal battle feels like she's best suited for Vogue. I get the sense she is not motivated by fashion and doesn't care about what's considered good taste. It's not at all that she doesn't "deserve" Vogue, it's that ideally Vanity Fair would be the perfect magazine to run a detailed, serious investigative piece on her conservatorship and her impact on culture and the music industry, etc.

Last edited:
Some of the stuff that's listed on the cover is only fleetingly mentioned inside, while there's a lengthy feature about Alexei Navalny and his widow which doesn't even merit a mention on the front. I guess that's what happens when you don't fit in with the theme.

For anyone wondering about the Britney Spears content, its an article ("Navel Gazing") musing on the meaning of her bellybutton piercing.

The most improbable attempt in this issue to shoehorn in a Trump reference - in the article about Fight Club: "Donald Trump is Tyler Durden, minus, obviously, the face, the bod, the hair, the style."

I love 1999 as much as the next guy, but it seems like an odd year to feature suddenly. Something like this should have been done in 2019 to celebrate its anniversary. In 2021 just comes of as random.

Partying like it's 1999 with this particular cover star has certainly taken on a new meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freaknore
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->