Versace F/W 11.12 Milan

Finally some decent bags that a normal woman and not Anna Dello Russo could buy and put in them something and not a blackberry like last season ones :lol:

Those bags and shoes look REALLY cheaply fabricated.

They don't to me, from what little I can tell from the, admittedly, non close-up pics and I more-or-less spend my life staring at designer leather goods! :blink:

Are you sure you're not, instinctively, assuming they are cheaply fabricated, just because the designs are what you would, normally, associate with relatively inexpensive design?

Last edited by a moderator:
oooooooooooooooooooh, my WOOORD! this is such an incredibly thoughtful interpretation of all iconic elements of the versace label. so modern & very chic, simple & still complex in it's use of pattern & selective textile. a beautiful collection. im super, super, super impressed. i love that it takes something so closely associated with the label & pushes the creative boundary, only to create a simplified version of what gianni made iconic in the 90's. beautifully done *standing ovation*

Exactly what you say Jeremy! Love it!

I love this collection! Some pieces look like they've been created by Gianni Versace himself!
Really beautiful! The gowns are amazing as well!

What a great, elegant, and completely wearable collection! It managed to have all those qualities, but still have a sexy edge. Love the choice of some bold colors. Great job Versace!

I'm extremely disappointed. Last season was such a high point for me in terms of both the season overall and of Donatella's tenure at the house, but this does absolutely nothing for me. I don't like it, I don't hate it. It's just there. I think it's because ultimately when you strip away the details the shapes are nothing to write home about. Even the details, like those intarsia swirls, are oddly flat for me. The idea of trying to rework the baroque swirls that the house was once famous for is a good one, but to blow the design up, cut a piece off and slap it onto a basic little shift seems pretty unimaginative to me. The gowns and dresses are a confused mess of things, and none of them are either stunning or memorable. I do like that crytsal covered medusa head purse though. That's a tacky, fun little accessory.

Honestly I just think that this collection lacks a really direct message, a purposeful statement...especially when measured against last season.

They don't to me, from what little I can tell from the, admittedly, non close-up pics and I more-or-less spend my life staring at designer leather goods! :blink:

Are you sure you're not, instinctively, assuming they are cheaply fabricated, just because the designs are what you would, normally, associate with relatively inexpensive design?

Ok Ms Bags well I might have to bow to your superior knowledge here but I'm brave so I'll say what I'm seeing :smile:

Take a look at the boots in post #57 on the previous page. Particularly the heels. Are they a plastic moulding? You can see a sort of bump near where the heel joins the rest of the piece?

And there's a sort of lip between the heel and the rest of the boot. Maybe a lack of smoothness of line as a matter of design but I'm sure the variance varies in extent from sample to sample?

The boots with the mauve lace housing - down at the lower corner of the housing - a bump at the seaming.

And particularly on the piece with the white lace housing, it just doesn't look as if the different materials sit flush.

So it's more than just the gold emblems give a costume jewelry feel. The heels look in danger of snapping off. The materials look to me mid quality at best but I'll bet the price isn't. And they just look badly made.

I am really impressed by this. Donatella is so back and forth. This collection reminds me of what she was doing in 07 and 08 when she was freshly sober and looking at the archives. Then she went back to doing the floral south beach thing which I hated but now she is back on track.

Ok Ms Bags well I might have to bow to your superior knowledge here but I'm brave so I'll say what I'm seeing :smile:

Take a look at the boots in post #57 on the previous page. Particularly the heels. Are they a plastic moulding? You can see a sort of bump near where the heel joins the rest of the piece?

And there's a sort of lip between the heel and the rest of the boot. Maybe a lack of smoothness of line as a matter of design but I'm sure the variance varies in extent from sample to sample?

The boots with the mauve lace housing - down at the lower corner of the housing - a bump at the seaming.

And particularly on the piece with the white lace housing, it just doesn't look as if the different materials sit flush.

So it's more than just the gold emblems give a costume jewelry feel. The heels look in danger of snapping off. The materials look to me mid quality at best but I'll bet the price isn't. And they just look badly made.

Well, thank you for your immense bravery, Master/Mr Tricl. :D

If the bump you speak of is of an abstract tulip/foxglove shape(?), do you not think that it may well be part of the tulip/foxglove motif on the heel?

I think it's safe to say that the 'lip' is also intentional - streamlining a heel with a shoe is not a difficult, or expensive thing to do, at all. Inexpensive, mass production, shoe manufacturers have managed it for decade upon decade, without 'lip' issues, for example.

The lip also appears fairly consistent, to me?

There will always be a certain amount of variation, between one item and another and if the item is handmade/hand assembled, even more so, for obvious reasons.

The 'bump' and slight lack of flushness in the lace housing is also not symbolic, to me, of a poor quality item; when compared with the vast majority of recently made R-T-W leather goods.

If you have noticed that the quality of R-T-W leather goods, in general, has fallen somewhat, over the last decade, or so, you certainly wouldn't be alone and you wouldn't get any argument, from me, there; but to call-out this collection, in particular, would seem rather unfair, to me.

You also won't get any argument, from me, that women's designer leather goods, in general, are overpriced. Especially as many of them are now, by all accounts, either produced in China, parts of Europe with lower wages, or the China town area of Italy, where workers are treated as little more than slaves and often sleep, en masse, above the shop. :(

^ Incidentally, perhaps they're actually abstract bluebells or snowdrops, coming to think of it?

Sorry, not a botanical expert!

Season by season, my love affair with Versace is steadily slipping down the pan. I have no idea where the brand is going. The last collection with any impact and true innovation, IMO, was S/S 2009. After that they have been all over the place, ranging from some cheap looking efforts, and then reverting back to Gianni's signature style, but not doing it any justice as this collection tries and fails to do.

I've liked recent past Versace collections but this one just left me feeling "blah." Ew. :X

This is too safe and boring for Versace :ermm:, I almost fell asleep while watching the video, the last few evening gowns were not bad though

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->