Versace F/W 11.12 Milan

i agree that this stuff sounds like a drum that's one beat behind the rest of the band (yes, the band that prada brought into line last season). and after two spectacularly strong versace collections (and even some blockbuster mid-season outtings), it's sort of surprising to find donatella and her boy wonder retreating to something that didn't feel very versace or even very gianni like the last collections have. one might attribute this to a clear focus on accessories which have not only dominated the advertising buzz surrounding this label of lately, but evidenced itself in some of the most obviously thought out offerings in the handbag department and a flock of absolutely must-have shoes.

Yes, I agree, its not as strong as its previous two seasons. The whole blown-up imagery on the (black) dresses I like, and yes, Ill admit it even to the point that seeing the collection the first the term minimal baroque came to mind, and then Prada, but after a bit, I think its more minimal baroque than Prada.

Whether Donatella decided to borrow or not from Prada its very minimal baroque, the problem is that there are some pieces which seem like afterthoughts or scraps left from God knows which season!

Ill admit I had high hopes after and such an stellar streak .. but at least it isnt the crap we've seen in recent years. Some serious direction was needed because it started strong .. then it became a collection in desperate need of Aderall.

To me, this is more minimal Arts and Crafts than minimal Baroque.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that this was probably the inspiration:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Morris_Bluebell_printed_fabric_design_detail.jpg

Although, whether it was the direct inspiration for this collection, or whether this collection was inspired by a prior Gianni collection, which was based on William Morris' bluebells, I couldn't say for sure?

I do seem to, vaguely, remember an early '90s (I think?) Versace collection with these sort of motifs, though, so I'm guessing the latter.

The gowns have become such an afterthought at Versace lately. I mean that as in, they don't really go with the collections. They are just there. I noticed that with last season also.

The outerwear, blazers and leather looks are the true standouts of the collection. The dresses are very hit or miss with the blown up applique. Some are fresh and modern while others look very crafty and cheap. The collection itself is all over the place. Donatella hasn't been very consistent with the brand image these days either but maybe she's trying to change what Versace means. She has quite the task ahead of her if that's the case though.

First Look Milan (anyone have the soundtrack?)

God, I remember rewatching this show every day because of the soundtrack. And I can't believe it's been almost 7 years, it's like 2008 & 2015...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blipster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->