Virgil Abloh - Designer

Grâce is maybe a good designer but I’m less than impressed by her offering. And we can say that she is a cultural force.

She's an excellent and soulful designer but LV suits will never go for someone like her, her voice is too discreet and subtle for the LV client, and discretion and subtlety are not really the most sought after currency these days.
But she does have a message and, I have to say, if you look closely to her work, you'll find out she's done more to affirm a certain idea of Black fashion culture than people like Virgil and JB Kirby.
We all agree that the logic behind these appointments is hype-/marketing-based more than anything else, especially at Vuitton. I'm quite certain that the next CD will be from an ethnic background too (even if not necessarily black), they do not want to lose on that narrative for sure.

She's an excellent and soulful designer but LV suits will never go for someone like her, her voice is too discreet and subtle for the LV client, and discretion and subtlety are not really the most sought after currency these days.
But she does have a message and, I have to say, if you look closely to her work, you'll find out she's done more to affirm a certain idea of Black fashion culture than people like Virgil and JB Kirby.
We all agree that the logic behind these appointments is hype-/marketing-based more than anything else, especially at Vuitton. I'm quite certain that the next CD will be from an ethnic background too (even if not necessarily black), they do not want to lose on that narrative for sure.

I’m really not impressed by her work. It’s really interesting in terms of imagery maybe…
It’s definitely soulful. But I don’t think her voice is needed in that lane. Some people are just perfect doing what they do…

The Vuitton machine is really not for her. It has nothing to do with the suits and all. I just don’t see her clothes outside of their context.

Subtlety can work for other brands. Not Vuitton.

It's could be James Jebbia. Consider how closed he is with LVMH especially with Alexandre. He is a perfect fit for the brand, he has the same cultural impact as Virgil. And LV men is currently focus on hype and marketing so James can totally a perfect candidate.

His appointment will create some "outrage" on social media at first but frankly after the first year no one care.

Jebbia has a net worth $800,000,000+ and is nearly 60, I don’t think he needs this or would want it.

Last edited:
Grace Wales Bonner would be my dream choice. She's undoubtedly one of the best menswear designers out there, can do both streetwear and fine tailoring, and it would definitely be great seeing a POC designer fill Vigil's shoes. Not to mention she already has the LVMH connection. Her lowkey profile and sensibility would be the best for the moment.

I can definitely see them going to Jerry Lorenzo or Kerby Jean-Raymond tho, but I really hope not...

It's could be James Jebbia. Consider how closed he is with LVMH especially with Alexandre. He is a perfect fit for the brand, he has the same cultural impact as Virgil. And LV men is currently focus on hype and marketing so James can totally a perfect candidate.

His appointment will create some "outrage" on social media at first but frankly after the first year no one care.

Does he even really design anything nowadays? From what I've hear about the structure of the brand he's more of a CEO. Also I don't think many people, even Supreme buyers, know who he is since he keeps a very low profile. Just doing a collab would make more sense.

Reactions: KoV
I’m really not impressed by her work. It’s really interesting in terms of imagery maybe…
It’s definitely soulful. But I don’t think her voice is needed in that lane. Some people are just perfect doing what they do…

The Vuitton machine is really not for her. It has nothing to do with the suits and all. I just don’t see her clothes outside of their context.

Subtlety can work for other brands. Not Vuitton.

All of this.

My bet is Heron Preston. He is african-american, he is young, he is untalented; and he is also a member of Kanye West´s entourage...so he is a perfect substitute for Virgil Abloh!

My bet is Heron Preston. He is african-american, he is young, he is untalented; and he is also a member of Kanye West´s entourage...so he is a perfect substitute for Virgil Abloh!

He is untalented...Haha I like this!
but deep down, I do hope they make a change, and get someone really talented, not just someone that can push merchandise. I have been disliking LV mens for a while now, these days, everything is garish, loud, in your face logo. And I suspect due to that, the quality has also compromised, can hardly call it a luxury brand really.

Grace at Vuitton after Virgil would be like Bouchra Jarrar at Lanvin after Alber - no one would care and she would be out after three seasons. Too subtle, even if she has done some interesting things.

Vuitton needs a showman, because in the end that’s what Virgil was. It’s not about style or product or high quality anymore.

I think Brick Owens of Bstroy will probably head Off-White after Virgil Abloh. I think LV will continue with the team for now and hold off for a bit on naming a CD
11VIRGILS-KIDS04-superJumbo-v2.jpg

I think Brick Owens of Bstroy will probably head Off-White after Virgil Abloh. I think LV will continue with the team for now and hold off for a bit on naming a CD
11VIRGILS-KIDS04-superJumbo-v2.jpg
Isn’t he the one that presented school shooting hoodies and tried to compare it to mcqueen’s highland r*pe lmfao

I can see them doing what Margiela did before Galliano and having the creative team do a few seasons without a focal creative director. I read before that Nicolas wanted to do menswear but idk how that would work now considering what gave LV so much attention was the racial diversity that Virgil brought. We can argue back and forth about "diversity points" on TFS but it's just a given at this point that LVMH will hire a woman or non-white creative director to take Virgil's place. Maybe Samuel Ross because he was under Virgil's wing. Or they will go with Kerby Jean-Raymond.

This is not a reflection on who I personally want to take Virgil's spot, just speculating based on LVMH's likely plan to continue the diversity story.

Last edited:
Kris Van Assche would be an interesting proposal for Vuitton Menswear, since he has a real talent for tailoring and a more refined take on menswear.

We don't need more streetwear/hypebeast-wear/sportswear anymore, especially at LVMH. The market is oversaturated and LVMH have hypebeast galore already - Kim Jones, Matthew Williams, etc. What's more, Virgil is kind of the apex of that whole movement, and if Vuitton hired someone to do something similar, it would only weaken their position.

This is an opportunity for LVMH to really lead the way for a new and dynamic vision for luxury menswear, with a return to something more refined and classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brier Bunny
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->