Vogue Arabia February 2021 by Ali Sharaf

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Jan 28, 2021.

1. amby

amby Well-Known Member

2. arabchic

arabchic Member

Of course it’s the tokens.

Phuel likes this.
  3. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

What do you mean?

arabchic likes this.
  4. matheus_s

matheus_s Well-Known Member

I hate the black canvas on it

5. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

Looks like the promos for American Horror Story Asylum mixed with Cult lol.

6. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

Thinking outside and inside the box. Clever photo/design concept which actually ties into the editorial theme for once. I can't recall seeing this effect anywhere else (in recent memory anyways). Graphic, understated and impactful! Strikes me as more Time or Newsweek-y rather than fashion-y but I'll take it.

7. Hafyiez wafa

Hafyiez wafa Well-Known Member

8. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

I don’t get it. Are they replicating?

Nomar, RedSmokeRise and Phuel like this.
  9. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^LOL

Vogue Arabia was brimming with such potential and promise of pure high fashion escapism. And that inaugural issue by I&V of a bejewelled, veiled Gigi on the cover kept that promise of unapologetic ME opulence and allure. Now it’s this high school theatre kidz doing hands-across-the-ME for the masses: It’s so literal and dowdy LOL

arabchic and avonlea002 like this.
  10. avonlea002

avonlea002 Well-Known Member

The human centipede 4

11. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Would've been better if they were photographed in different venues and they were posing like that. It's gives more meaning to "building bridges" since they're "connected" despite being apart.

They obviously stuck with the studio shoot, they could have at least edited the background. The shadows in the background ruin it for me. Made it look amateur.

12. arabchic

arabchic Member

It’s faux women empowerment using women who are from good families (the ruling families if I may add) to make it seem like women of the gulf reign are empowered and do not suffer under a tyrannical patriarchal rule.
    We call them « vases » locally and I think it explains it all.

axiomatic, Phuel, GERGIN and 2 others like this.
  13. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation :flower:

arabchic likes this.
  14. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Arabia should have never given into the SJ/PC gimmicks that are being endorsed by the current worst of the Vogues: US/UK/Italia. Denzel Washington made a matter-of-factly point that “movement” doesn’t necessarily mean “progression”: And that’s exactly all I hear whenever Emanuel or Edward post some shallow PC blurb on SM to beg for likes. And when it’s the realm of fashion, it’s more blatantly clear that there’s not been even an inertia of creative progression nor innovation. Frankly, fashion has taken at least 20 steps back. And that’s being generous.

This is a Vogue that could have easily avoided and defied the shallow socio-political trappings that have diminished the brand to that of a weekly newspaper or TMZ desperate to trend with the latest current events. Vogue Arabia could have easily gone full hardcore high fashion— which would have likely created a loyal readership not just amongst its own ME region, but globally: I always wished Vogue Arabia would be the next Vogue Italia... It could easily have been the high fashion oasis where other Vogues have become mass-pandering newspapers. Of course such a move would be highly unPC, but if any Vogue could afford such a statement to make, it would have been Vogue Arabia.

This sort of “empowerment” of the common women— but as you’ve pointed out, not really cuz it’s still the elitist and they’ve always been afforded privileges and power that the everyday women just don’t have access to, comes off more shallow and hollow than if they had stuck with pure high fashion excess, which has always been accused of and dismissed as superficiality anyway. No one needs high fashion: It’s such an illusion, a mirage, and a fevered dream. But more than ever now, that dream is needed. High fashion is not for everyday people and lowering to the level of the commoners has killed the high in fashion.

(Cranky rant over.)

arabchic and GERGIN like this.