Vogue Italia January 2010 : Karlie Kloss by Steven Meisel

I have to say, whilst the idea of the backstage and all its chaos is a genius idea, having someone like Karlie Kloss on the cover is not.

She is a beautiful girl, even I can admit, but she is beyond boring. She is no Daria Werbowy/Gemma Ward/Jessica Stam and she cannot bring life or excitement or dynamism to an Meisel editorial like her predecessors.

Meisel's girls used to excite me and strike me with their unusual beauty and their high high fashion aesthetics. Karlie is just a beautiful plain jane and unfortunately she does not excite me enough to buy into Vogue Italia anymore.

I love the cover! Love the theme for this editorial & I cannot wait to see it!

i don't hate the idea, but the layout really bothers me...

That cast is EPIC! I'm unbelievably excited to see Alla, and I like that there's a whole bunch of other new girls here. The anticipation is killing me^_^

It's not horrible, and that's coming from a huge non-fan of Karlie. The cover is nice, and funny, and it was a good idea, although not completely original. I am really hoping that the editorials will be good, and they sound like they will be. :woot:

I have to say, whilst the idea of the backstage and all its chaos is a genius idea, having someone like Karlie Kloss on the cover is not.

She is a beautiful girl, even I can admit, but she is beyond boring. She is no Daria Werbowy/Gemma Ward/Jessica Stam and she cannot bring life or excitement or dynamism to an Meisel editorial like her predecessors.

Meisel's girls used to excite me and strike me with their unusual beauty and their high high fashion aesthetics. Karlie is just a beautiful plain jane and unfortunately she does not excite me enough to buy into Vogue Italia anymore.

Agreed.

why would she have to be any of your three favorite models? :lol:

this is getting so ridiculous... *sighs*

Anyway, I guess Meisel's really on a mission trying to capture all the generational elements of humor or attention.. wish I could say I'm impressed but this is as fun and bold as hearing your friends' mom saying Lady Gaga is very groovy.. unfortunately, there seem to be newer methods of pushing the bar these days and they're simpler than he might think. Oh well, at least he still has an eye for models and has managed to stay kind of relevant in that regard, unlike some of his fans, that set houses in 1989, 1997 and 2005.. :innocent:

you guys are passionate of these stuff ...

this is your gift :wink:

stop loving backstage pics or showrunways for the girls, and fashion'll be back ...

I so agree with you! So many model obsessed people (for what reason I do not know ..... ) and forget about the fashion. Model bashing is lame.

Anyways, I think this is really great and Karlie is such a good model for the simple fact she does what she's being paid for very well - take direction and model. I don't know too many people that can pretend fall (in heels) and still look absolutely stunning and believable. Great job! I think the cover is good because it captures the eye of many. Who can resist looking at people falling? :lol:

And I definitely see the Bourdin in this too now that you mention it!

I must be in the very small minority that actually likes the cover, the falls do look realistic. I think Jac would be an even better choice though :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you guys don't realize that Karlie has improved a lot! Honestly, this is a great cover, It's funny and fresh, i love the idea. Karlie is here to stay, She has something special that Photographers, editors and designers can see. And that's all that matters, She's part of a new vision, so don't compare Karlie to old school supermodels...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's getting late where I am, or I am slowly losing the plot, but this is the 3rd time this week.....after Hermes and Dior, that I am really liking something involving Karlie.:shock::huh:
Anyhow showing a not so serious side to his work and Karlie fits the bill perfectly here.......now I think I am losing it.:doh: My bed is calling.:P

Karlie brings energy and personality to whatever she does...unfortunately most would rather see a mute, no personality girl be the IT girl of the moment for some odd reason :ninja:.

The cast sounds epic. Can't wait :heart:

you guys are passionate of these stuff ...

this is your gift :wink:

stop loving backstage pics or showrunways for the girls, and fashion'll be back ...

Ha! So true :rofl:

Karlie does a fantastic job on the cover, though, and at least it's just January...

Karlie is super-fantastico as far as I'm concerned, but I'm really, really having trouble with that Steven Meisel guy everyone is talking about. Not only does he shoot every single freakin ad campaign by now, no, VI is always glad to give his horrible work some exposure, too.
And now that he starts shooting Freja, I'm done with him. Steven, you and I, we don't get along anymore. Sorry.

I totally agree. Meisel has become repetitive. He is crossing the line between being "inspired by" and full on plagiarism at times. The more I see his work the less brilliance I see. And yeah, I've seen this before, like most of his covers. The humor is already lost to me.

I am not a fan of Karlie, but I feel bad for her after reading all the hate. Really, why do people insist on calling her "plain"? Hundreds of gorgeous, expressionless faces that you all adore who all look alike, and have the personality of a paper clip and they are everywhere. They are all dispensable because they have one look and worse, they are interchangeable. I dont think Karlie is that great, but from that sea of bland faces, I dont fault her for actually standing out. I cant hate her for her work ethic. I cant hate on her because Anna Wintour and Steven Meisel like her more than you guys do. She has the Vogue Italia cover and you dont. Go cry in a corner now haters.

I'm not a fan of Karlie Kloss but she has more talent in her fingers alone than half those girls listed for the editorial. There's a reason why she's one of the most sought after model these days. She already got the stamp of approval by Wintour and other editor-in-chiefs, as well as a Meisel favorite. I think people dislike her so much because they'd rather see some of their favorite models in her place especially when their favorite models have been working for a long time and yet to get that golden ticket in the fashion industry for the mere fact that there's nothing special about them.

Yeah the cover isn't the best, but it's because the concept isn't the best. Blame the editors and the photographer for such a confusing concept, not Karlie. Because I bet if Lara Stone was on the cover instead of Karlie people would be praising it madly as if Lara's uber-sexuality would make the concept better.

THIS EDITORIAL IS 80 PAGES LONG!

There are no other big eds in this issue.

That's not surprising since the cast is also large.

karlie can do no wrong in my books atm, so i like this and can't wait to see the eds

if it weren't for that messy layout, i would've probably like this:ninja: i'm just excited for the editorial since almost all of my favorites are in it:P

I don't care about Karlie's on the cover although I think Natasha Poly deserves this more. But I like the idea before this and the cover is fun!
So many models in an 80-page ed!:shock: And Snejana's finally back with Meisel!:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->