Vogue Italia January 2010 : Karlie Kloss by Steven Meisel

why would she have to be any of your three favorite models? :lol:

this is getting so ridiculous... *sighs*

Anyway, I guess Meisel's really on a mission trying to capture all the generational elements of humor or attention.. wish I could say I'm impressed but this is as fun and bold as hearing your friends' mom saying Lady Gaga is very groovy.. unfortunately, there seem to be newer methods of pushing the bar these days and they're simpler than he might think. Oh well, at least he still has an eye for models and has managed to stay kind of relevant in that regard, unlike some of his fans, that set houses in 1989, 1997 and 2005.. :innocent:

These are not my favourite models, per se, but they have an ability to bring some dynamism to Meisel's editorials. Jessica Stam for example is anything but interesting in reality, but in front of Meisels lens and in full effect (make-up, hair, styling) she is something special.

Besides, this issue needed something more striking for the cover. Falling on the runway is really not that exciting; neither are nip slips. They are commonplace on the runway. I was thinking something more like this for example:

2iaab61.gif

2jepcbb.jpg

fashiontelevision + fashionwiredaily.com/

This will be my last post directed toward the cover, but i feel like this just needs to be said.

I do think this cover is appealing in its free spiritedness and that Karlie, from the preview, does an exceptional job at pulling off variety; i will say well done to her for that because as someone else mentioned, this is an improvement she should be commended on.

As far as everyone's reactions to her being on the cover- yes, i do think some people may be overreacting, i may have overreacted myself, but an opinion is an opinion. And as her favorites know, this is just landmark in her career highlighting her transition to a bona fide top model. All people holding a certain status in the public eye have supporters and detractors; this is no different. Karlie is not my favorite or least favorite model and i realize that this is not about her.

Lastly, to further expound on me agreeing with Creative; I do love Vogue Italia and it's daring tactics; it's one of the few publications that would actually go this far and sometimes you do need to go overboard with creativity to set your limit. The only, and main, problem i have is when someone goes through all means to convince/sell to the consumer; there's nothing attractive about desperateness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always seem to enjoy the more lighthearted and humourous covers that Misel does than the really serious high fashion serious art ones, to be honest. I love this cover and I don't even care for Karlie that much. It's just a shame that I'll probably end up getting this issue in March or something, I haven't even gotten the November one yet. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

If only Meisel could harness the magic of Harry Potter, he could then produce a Vogue Italia that, when each person looks at it, the cover shot shows them whatever they most wish to see.

:lol::flower:

She's wearing Gucci on the cover (huge advertiser )

Don't they always do this? Excluding last year. March is Dolce & Gabanna, July is Roberto Cavalli, and September is Prada. AKA VI's top advertisers.

:lol::flower:

Don't they always do this? Excluding last year. March is Dolce & Gabanna, July is Roberto Cavalli, and September is Prada. AKA VI's top advertisers.
And February is Blumarine and October is Armani.:rolleyes:

This will be my last post directed toward the cover, but i feel like this just needs to be said.

I do think this cover is appealing in its free spiritedness and that Karlie, from the preview, does an exceptional job at pulling off variety; i will say well done to her for that because as someone else mentioned, this is an improvement she should be commended on.

As far as everyone's reactions to her being on the cover- yes, i do think some people may be overreacting, i may have overreacted myself, but an opinion is an opinion. And as her favorites know, this is just landmark in her career highlighting her transition to a bona fide top model. All people holding a certain status in the public eye have supporters and detractors; this is no different. Karlie is not my favorite or least favorite model and i realize that this is not about her.

Lastly, to further expound on me agreeing with Creative; I do love Vogue Italia and it's daring tactics; it's one of the few publications that would actually go this far and sometimes you do need to go overboard with creativity to set your limit. The only, and main, problem i have is when someone goes through all means to convince/sell to the consumer; there's nothing attractive about desperateness.

I completely agree with everything you said.
And I think we could make it more simple: just think of what you're seeing on fashion magazines right now. Personally I'm bored with most of them. Editorials can have different kind of aesthetics, but at the end the way of showcasing fashion and explaining beauty is always the same.
I think they're moving something. They're pushing the envelope in some way and I see that because I just feel that there's something weird in it. My eyes are not used to it. And that's how you move forward with creativity.

Am I the only one who finds it strange there is no Rasa? Is he saving her for next issue? All Meisel's Balenciaga girls are here. Why no Rasa? :unsure:

I like the concept but the layout is a real bother.
and yes I'm one of those Karlie non-fans but I wont say anything..yet :D

I love the cover personally. For whatever reason there is an obsession with models falling on a runway, and fashion mishaps in general. People comment on it (see last spring's Prada collection thread for proof) and photographers at the show snap away. Moments like that make for spontaneity in a venue where everything is meticulously planned. I've no idea whether or not this is the first time it's been used as a concept for an editorial, but it's perfect for a story.

And as for Karlie, I'm neither a fan nor a detractor, but I do think that she's one of the most talented models of her generation. To "fall" like she's doing on the cover and make it look natural but flattering at the same time can't be easy to do, so props to her for simply going for it and turning out some great results.

I'm definitely looking forward to the editorial. With 80 pages to look at my expectations are pretty high.

I like the cover, can't wait to see jac and pat!

80 pages long?! Wow good luck to the one who will scan it! :wink:

I love the cover! It's absolutely surprising and a breath of fresh of air instead of the usual above the waist shot.

a pic from the ed

sorry i cannnot possibly scan it all, but this will give you at least an idea.

Attachments

• vogue genaio.jpg
    vogue genaio.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 3,040
same old chic, is nice ....
(very 80s. you know this londoner designer/artist)

omg i don't wanna b the one who will scan.
plz help 17 !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging from that shot, I'm very interested in the ed. It looks straight up fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->