Vogue Italia January 2020 : The ‘No Photoshoot’ Issue

Honestly? I'm really curious to see how it will end up, I was waiting for something like this. The idea is interesting but 7 covers... 'too much' is the perfect way to NOTHING.

Cover #4 Ambar Cristal Zarzuela by Cassi A. Namoda

Too intellectual that it lost its point of view. Franca was really talented enough to use a context from our society to make it fashion and yet relevant to discuss about it.

For Farneti, there is nothing to talk about because he managed all the time to materialise his ideas into something so clownish that we can only laugh about it and move on.

This could have been a great opportunity to showcase or reintroduce the Art of Fashion Illustration...Because it’s also an Art itself...An Art where you can actually recognize the designs and where some characteristics can be highlighted.

Farneti proves us every month that creating a magazine like France did is difficult. Franca knew what she was doing even if sometimes we believed like she didn’t (when Meisel stopped shooting the covers).
It was her magazine, her taste and her formula to make VI a force in fashion...

Farneti is just doing an « intellectual » magazine in the most pretentious way. It would have been more interesting to ask designers to draw their designs in little stories.

VI is like Chanel, Dior, Givenchy... They are all lost. They have lost their stars designers or editors and are trying to milk everything from the bases they have set up...Instead of trying to set new bases...

And the sustainability thing when nothing is going to change in the way the magazine is printed is sincerely pointless....Even more because we all know that next month, it’s back to normal.

I wish all the Europeans Editors were like Emmanuelle: stick to fashion and not trying to embarrass themselves by jumping into all the narratives decided by social media.

This is bad, embarrassing, atrocious, cheap, lousy....let me just go back to Thesaurus.com to find more similar words that describe this new VI issue.

This fifth cover is beautiful.
I have a simple question: how did the painters create the portraits if there was no shipping of clothes and travelling by models and editors? There might be a simple explanation that I can't think of but I genuinely wonder how this sustainable project was realized

^pictures. Jordi Labanda is an artist who makes fashion illustrations and he uses runway pictures to draw the clothes.

Obviously Yoshitaka Amano would be the best. He made the most beautiful artwork for Final Fantasy!

I hope Mats Gustafson and Piet Paris will get a cover.

Mats Gustafson - a man whose work has repeatedly appeared in Vogue Italia, who illustrated the cover of two of their September issues (plus supplements), and who could be said to form part of the fabric of what this magazine had to offer.

I'll be surprised if they even mention his name.

The blue cover is magnificent, reminiscent of Vogue's illustrated covers back in early 30s. If they went with that cover alone the whole thing would've had much more impact (and would be far more beautiful and easier to tolerate). However, the whole idea behind the illustrations still makes no sense - acting like they saved the world by not shipping wardrobes... I wonder how they're gonna ship hard copies. Will they hire green forest fairies to deliver them without polluting? Come on.

Also just noticed he mentions that ''Vogue Italia has never had an illustrated cover''... B*tch, do your f*cking research! It's embarrassing to not know the history of your own magazine.

Insulting tbh.

If they wanted to bring back fashion illustration to covers they should’ve commissioned someone good like David Downton.

god PLEASE NO. That over hyped portrait artist who sold out years ago.

I personally think this is a very clever idea and actually a great way to get fashion Illustration and Illustrators back into magazines and into producing original artwork and ideas instead of every photographer doing the same thing again and again. Bravo for championing a wave of artists who are doing something NOT influenced by the digital age.

this will be the first issue of Vogue Italia I have bought in years.

Mats Gustafson - a man whose work has repeatedly appeared in Vogue Italia, who illustrated the cover of two of their September issues (plus supplements), and who could be said to form part of the fabric of what this magazine had to offer.

I'll be surprised if they even mention his name.
I’m a feeling you’re right unfortunately :(

Lily, Felice, Lindsey... three of the models I've always wanted to see on the cover of VI. But there's no picture of any model. I'm not surprised. He did non-model/celeb covers for L'Uomo in the past. The ilustrations looks good, but Vogue insn't the magazine to show them. I was expecting a third january cover by McDean, not this.

This could have been a historical issue if it wasn't for this down right horrible discourse. Ok, your budget is short, we got it, but at least pretend you're bringing back the 1920s glamour of fashion illustration to the 2020s not this implausible greenwashed excuse.
By the way: did they really spent that much less with this ideia? I know the day rate for M&M, Rizzo et al is not cheap but commissioning 7 artists and licensing original artworks (and how many more inside?) for a magazine cover at least SHOULD NOT be that much cheaper I guess...

This could have been a historical issue if it wasn't for this down right horrible discourse. Ok, your budget is short, we got it, but at least pretend you're bringing back the 1920s glamour of fashion illustration to the 2020s not this implausible greenwashed excuse.
By the way: did they really spent that much less with this ideia? I know the day rate for M&M, Rizzo et al is not cheap but commissioning 7 artists and licensing original artworks (and how many more inside?) for a magazine cover at least SHOULD NOT be that much cheaper I guess...
Considering they are wearing Gucci on all the covers, I assume they paid for it, or at least a part of it.

Considering they are wearing Gucci on all the covers, I assume they paid for it, or at least a part of it.

That alone ruins this entire exercise for me.
Amano's cover is beautiful, the others... not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->