Vogue Italia June 2015 : The China Issue

Meisel did not contribute this time :(
Faith, thanks a million for the info. Have to say i secretly hoped the rumors were not true, and that he shot at least one of the covers. Makes me sad because i grew up, and came to love Fashion through VIxMeisel , no one can replace this combination for me. It marks a significant change for VI, and Fashion Industry, imo.

But it will be interesting to see where he ends up doing most of his work post VI, or if he still contributes in the future.

Faith, thanks a million for the info. Have to say i secretly hoped the rumors were not true, and that he shot at least one of the covers. Makes me sad because i grew up, and came to love Fashion through VIxMeisel , no one can replace this combination for me. It marks a significant change for VI, and Fashion Industry, imo.

But it will be interesting to see where he ends up doing most of his work post VI, or if he still contributes in the future.

It's truly the end of an era. Whatever your thoughts about his past or recent work, his name is so synonymous with Vogue Italia that any disassociation (Even if temporary) feels incomprehensible right now!

Love Yuan's cover :heart: I'm glad the covers still fit the vogue italia vibe

I'm very disappointed Liu wasn't part of this issue. She's one of the biggest east asian Supermodels to come out in ages.

IMO, Vogue Italia dropped the ball there.

I do like the other covers however. The first cover I'm not to crazy about. The other covers are giving me variety, which I really like for a change.:smile:

Even though I quite like Fei Fei's cover I think they should've put all their effort in trying to make at least one very striking cover because none of these covers are truly groundreaking. The multiple covers feels unecessary, especially the Warhol-style portraits.

I'm already missing Meisel. VI is nothing without him. I will miss the anticipation to see who got the cover and what the main editorial looks like. No other publication or photographer gave me that kind of excitement.

Pretty bad quality but at least the colors are better:

Xiao Wen by Steven Klein

by Mario Sorrenti

Fei Fei Sun by Mert & Marcus

Yuan Bo Chao by Craig McDean

twitter.com/vogue_italia

Is this what Franca had in mind for covers???? No wonder Meisel decided to leave off. We'd never get this incoherent mess on his watch. I'm actually quite gutted, not remotely interested in any of these covers.

Thanks for clearing the credits up Oxymore! :flower:

What is the point of having a fold out when:

a. You have the same image in 3 different colors
b. You have 3 images with 0 similarity in composition (somehow acceptable but in this case looks odd)
c. the same image duplicated and placed at the end of the fold out
d. the same image zoomed in different parts.

those fold out covers are useless and are a big joke

Although, I must admit that Craig McDean and M&M's are the killer ones (if you take out the fold out). But in terms of overall composition of the main cover, Craig McDean wins. The color combination, the pose, the mood. Perfect!

I don´t understand what the sense of the fold outs is...

The covergirls for the Mario cover : Jing Wen,Gia Tang and Fernanda Ly.

-----

Only here for Feifei's cover.

those fold out covers are useless and are a big joke

IKR? It doesn't get any cheaper than this.

You get rid of Meisel (as bad as he was as of late) for this? Gimme a break. What an insult.

Where did Gia Tang come from? Wish it had been Liu, Du, Ming, or Sui.

How ironic, that i most feared what would Mert&Marcus pull for the cover, and yet theirs is my favorite one! Well done boys, proved me wrong!

The biggest disappointment is Sorrenti, what is that? I mean i expect garish crap from Klein, but just focus on producing one damn good cover Franca!!

And yes no Meisel, the end of an era for me as well! Depressing actually!

IKR? It doesn't get any cheaper than this.

You get rid of Meisel (as bad as he was as of late) for this? Gimme a break. What an insult.

You get 4 photographers and gave their cover shots all the gimmick you could think of... and there's Steven Meisel killing it in W Magazine with just a simple portrait. No gimmick. I guess we know who's laughing now.

How ironic, that i most feared what would Mert&Marcus pull for the cover, and yet theirs is my favorite one! Well done boys, proved me wrong!

The biggest disappointment is Sorrenti, what is that? I mean i expect garish crap from Klein, but just focus on producing one damn good cover Franca!!

And yes no Meisel, the end of an era for me as well! Depressing actually!

I must say too! I wasn't quite sure about them but they surprised me, but I'm still not 100% convinced. This is a classic Mert & Marcus studio portrait and they never go wrong with their portraits (like I&V). I'll leave off my judgment when they produce something that's beyond their comfort zone for Vogue Italia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think getting four photographers was a super wrong idea. Going for just one would've been bolder and less cheap. It's like they thought: Oh, we don't have Meisel anymore and we gotta live up to the hype, what can we do? Let's have four covers and see what happens.

The "exclusive" strategy they had with Meisel worked for the magazine. They should've tried the same, and although I can't stand M&M sometimes, they would've been the best option. They are the most bluechip photographers in fashion right now and sort of have the aura of the big photographers of the past. And as redundant and repetitive as they might be, M&M are the only ones with the power to save twelve issues a year. Maybe with a little bit of freedom they could've create something cool and develope their style. They aren't Meisel, and as I said, I can't stand them sometimes, but there aren't better options...

If they keep the thing like this, I'm afraid the main eds will end up looking like the rest of the magazine: a complete garish and outdated mess.

BTW, the cover with the three girls looks like something Vogue Korea or Taiwan would do. :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dujuan and Liu Wen both deserve to get a cover for sure.

I never ever expect to get a cheap mess like this from VI, how can the cover by Mario get approval? It woud be better if they only put the Feifei's cover out.

This issue had a chance to be an iconic issue just like The Black Isuue, I really really miss Meisel.

Overall very disappointing. Fei Fei by M&M is by far the best cover. Mario's cover fold out is just :sick:. I like the idea of Steven's covers, but it's not working well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cerezitas
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->