Vogue Italia June 2015 : The China Issue

when u Have a Fold Out Cover is beacause u have a Client paying for that Space of the magazine. and thats a lot of Money. thats happens on any publication. what it is a shame is if that publiction knows in advance that the fold out is sold to a company. why not to create an image that covers the 2 or 3n pages. like american vogue or vanity fair did never ducplicate o make a collage of any of their fold out covers.

I like McDean's and M&M.

Klein's cover is simply hideous, lol, who in this day and age still uses "the Warhol filter"?

Vogue Italia Dedicates Issue to China
MILAN – Vogue Italia’s June issue is dedicated to China.

The magazine will be on newsstands Monday with four different covers photographed by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, Craig McDean, Steven Klein and Mario Sorrenti. This is the first time since the summer of 1988 that Steven Meisel has not shot the cover. “They are the four most important photographers of the new generation after names such as Peter Lindbergh, Bruce Weber and Mario Testino,” Franca Sozzani, editor in chief of Vogue Italia, told WWD.

“But we will continue to work with Meisel,” Sozzani added, pointing to another Vogue cover in the works that will be shot by the American photographer.

Sozzani contended that much is yet to be learned about China and that while industry observers lament a slowdown in that market, this is “a moment of regrowth.” Having traveled to China several times over the years, she remarked on the shifts in tastes, confirming Chinese customers have become more sophisticated. “It’s interesting to see how Chinese women view fashion and how they turn to Western fashion. That said, they are very proud of being Chinese. I was very surprised to see how sensual they are. We must let them have time to grow and understand [fashion]. The new generations are discovering everything now,” said Sozzani. She compared them to “Japanese women, who are more extreme in their tastes.”

In terms of articles, there is a story by movie critic and producer Marco Müller on Chinese cinema and a piece by Chinese actress Weiwei Liu. “She lives in Berlin, so she has another point of view on China’s evolution,” explained Sozzani. “We in Europe look back to our past, we are a product of it, while in China they look ahead, since a lot of the past has been destroyed. It’s more stimulating for them.”

She also noted that Vogue Italia’s issue date of June 8 is the National Day of the China Pavilion at Milan’s International Expo.

Asked about new designers in China, she said there is a certain buzz as well as a number of talents there, “but we need to give them the possibility to grow.”

Sozzani has long been a champion of supporting young designers and in the June issue she will launch the first edition of the “Who Is on Next?” talent search outside Italy. The Dubai edition, to take place in October, will reach out to the Emirates and the Gulf, but also as far as India, Africa, Malaysia and Thailand. In addition to Sozzani, the jury includes the newly installed head of the Italian Chamber of Fashion, Carlo Capasa; Raffaello Napoleone, chief executive officer of Pitti Immagine; Silvia Venturini Fendi, president of Altaroma; Federico Marchetti, ceo of Yoox Group; Christopher Bailey; Christian Louboutin; Hanneli Rupert; Salama Alabbar; Noura Binzagr, and Naomi Campbell.

wwd

I'm so confused on Meisel's departure. Was this already in the works? Is there going to be a official statement released about him leaving? I mean I don't understand how all of this works.

On top of that, he even stop producing for US Vogue and a lot of advertisements too. Can anyone explain what the heck is going on?! Oh yeah all these covers suck except M&M but they are use to taking other photographers aesthetics.

I am so relieved that Franca said they'll continue to work with Meisel!

^Yes, I breathe a sigh of relief.

It used to be that when you get a VI cover, your life will definitely change. I dont see it with these though. Fei Fei's still the best, but she's already a VI staple kind of. Maybe Yuan Bo Chao may get more mileage from this but this is definitely not as "whoaaa" as when Fei Fei or Issa got their covers.

^Couldn't agree more. Meisel has made the Vogue Italia cover into an institution that solidifies a model's career in a way that no other magazine can. He has also created a space for himself where he can delve into stories we would never see in other publications and I think fashion will always need that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only cover that looks decent enough and Vogue Italia worthy is the one by McDean. The rest are basically garbage. Especially Klein's. I mean like, really? A Marilyn Monroe inspired cover? Couldn't he think of something else? Sorrenti's cover doesn't evoke the essence of a VI cover. It looks too amateurish. I would say he failed to deliver for his debut cover for the magazine. As for M&M's, well I wouldn't tag it as a total garbage cause the shot alone looks nice and Fei Fei's stare is just mesmerizing. But the idea of the shoot, the styling and I guess the inspiration feel like they were done a million times before. McDean's cover is the one that really stands out. There isn't too much going on which is what I like. It actually looks like an issue from 90s Vogue Italia.

How I wish Meisel shot a cover for this issue. He would have produced a great one for sure. I'm glad though that he'll still be working for the magazine. A relief for sure.

^Couldn't agree more. Meisel has made the Vogue Italia cover into an institution that solidifies a model's career in a way that no other magazine can. He has also created a space for himself where he can delve into stories we would never see in other publications and I think fashion will always need that.

I think it is an exaggerated claim. There were lots of models on the cover of VI during his reign and I don’t think all of them had great careers. Yet there were models who didn't work as much with him but have become incredibly influential or iconic. This is especially true when it comes to becoming an internationally renown model… It doesn't give as much exposure to girls as US or UK Vogues would do... I think being featured in VI and in particular, on the cover is extremely prestigious but not decisive... especially in the era of Instagrams et al...
in terms of offering stories it was Peter Lindbergh who first started delivering fashion narratives... Meisel did offer narratives a lot but most of the time (especially recently)he played more around a particular theme instead of offering us a story...

I am so relieved that Franca said they'll continue to work with Meisel!

Yes, imagining VI without him seems impossible... I am sure his stories are only going to get better with the pressure taken off his shoulders...

Steven Meisel was what made Vogue Italia by giving the magazine its identity! If these covers are anything to go by for the future, I certainly won't continue to be an avid reader because I don't favor ANY of these mediocre covers. Fingers crossed this is just a huge blip and Meisel returns to photographing Vogue Italia's covers consecutively.

Steven Meisel was what made Vogue Italia by giving the magazine its identity! If these covers are anything to go by for the future, I certainly won't continue to be an avid reader because I don't favor ANY of these mediocre covers. Fingers crossed this is just a huge blip and Meisel returns to photographing Vogue Italia's covers consecutively.

Same! Can you even imagine what's inside? Oh my

Like the Yuan Bo Chao by Craig McDean cover, Steven Klein's is horrendous, the rest are pretty average. Franca Sozzani said Vogue Italia will continue to work with Miesel, I'm sure they've got him on the phone right now.

i really hope they changed the design inside, too. but hardly, huh?

I don't particularly care for these covers either, but I wouldn't be against other photographers shooting the cover instead of Meisel. It would just have to be a bit better executed than this, since Meisel has generally been pretty good with variety and with pushing boundaries.

I think it is an exaggerated claim. There were lots of models on the cover of VI during his reign and I don’t think all of them had great careers. Yet there were models who didn't work as much with him but have become incredibly influential or iconic. This is especially true when it comes to becoming an internationally renown model… It doesn't give as much exposure to girls as US or UK Vogues would do... I think being featured in VI and in particular, on the cover is extremely prestigious but not decisive... especially in the era of Instagrams et al...
in terms of offering stories it was Peter Lindbergh who first started delivering fashion narratives... Meisel did offer narratives a lot but most of the time (especially recently)he played more around a particular theme instead of offering us a story...
Well, I think it would be quite naive to assume that every single model he takes under his wing will be huge. What I mean is that Meisel's vision holds immense power and can wholly change a model's career. Being noticed by him is obviously not the only way to be successful but at the same time is a huge deal for any model and most of the time changes things for the better. When it comes to exposure, Vogue Italia isn't the most mainstream and that's exactly my point. A model gets to be seen in a more creative and sometimes avant garde way and fashion needs that.

Stories don't always have to be literal narratives. What I was refering to is Meisel's overall perspective and ability to bring out a certain side of a model.

I am sure his stories are only going to get better with the pressure taken off his shoulders...
Totally agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarenabrilcoleman
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->