Vogue Italia March 2009 : Hanne-Gaby Odiele and Kinga Rajzak by Steven Meisel

Guinevere's edit is nice, but lately I've been noticing that VI has been doing single designer editorials, single Italian designer editorials. I counted two in the February issue (Roberto Cavalli and Gucci with Mariacarla) and now this all Miuccia edit. It's a little lazy, non?

There was also an all-Prada editorial in the August (?) issue shot by Inez and Vinoodh with Eniko Mihalik.
It's not something recent. VI has been doin this for seasons, since at least 2003 (thats when I started buying VI). Every season Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Cavalli, D&G, Blumarine and Armani get an ed.

And most of the time the result is far from lazy imo.

I agree 100% and was thinking something along the lines of this concept but then I thought "Why the hip-hop styling?".

Surely if they wanted to show how fast and progressive fashion is, they would have used a different aesthetic? Perhaps the futurism of Balenciaga and Lagerfeld?

I love the styling, but I find it confusing in relation to the concept of the shoot.

I agree, if they indeed wanted to depict this concept, the clothes doesn't fit.
This editorial is a bit mysterious I'm not sure to know what it exactly wanted to express which is somehow a good thing but the photographies are a bit boring, Meisel could have done better...

Anyway, this is the first Vogue Italia I'm going to buy in a while !

I haven't commented about Meisel's ed yet, so... I did actually like the concept and styling of it, except the use of Everlast, Adidas etc. sport shoes... I don't know, maybe it's part of Sprouse aesthetic, I'm not completely into it. And since it's written on the cover Fearless Fashions, I had to expect it.
I'm still not sure about the whole concept, even though I liked it, I have a feeling that it could have been different.

It's not something recent. VI has been doin this for seasons, since at least 2003 (thats when I started buying VI). Every season Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Cavalli, D&G, Blumarine and Armani get an ed.

And most of the time the result is far from lazy imo.

I think I used the wrong word. I meant that it would be better to relate a designer's pieces to the rest of the collections and find an overall concept. Focusing on one designer's collection is not a bad thing if it is totally groundbreaking, but when it is done almost every issue, it becomes a little monotonous. I guess it is an alternative way though. And thanks, mikel, I didn't realize that they have been doing this for a while lol. I just started looking through VI a couple of years ago :smile:.

I agree 100% and was thinking something along the lines of this concept but then I thought "Why the hip-hop styling?".

Surely if they wanted to show how fast and progressive fashion is, they would have used a different aesthetic? Perhaps the futurism of Balenciaga and Lagerfeld?

I love the styling, but I find it confusing in relation to the concept of the shoot.

The hip-hop style is questionable. But I don't think they intended for it to be hip-hop, but rather a medly of different genres. It is overall gaudy. And honestly, I think it is meant to be an overexaggeration of what some of the young of today wear. The American Apparel crowd, if you will. Not that there is anything wrong with American Apparel :smile:!

Thanks for agreeing, btw :smile:. It is a very mysterious editorial indeed. I love it when editorials are cerebrally stimulating!

There is also something significant about the portraits of the glassed-in people on the walls. It's as if they are staring at the models, studying them. So the models are studying the people in the glass, while at the same time being studied by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is not too much trouble, would someone mind scanning the couture supplement:flower: Many thanks in advance!

My fav pics of Nimue and Amber V eds are available in my blog; Scanned by me from italian vogue march issue.

I'm looking at fujiko's blog and all the pics in this issue look very interesting! I really love the Roversi ed featuring Nimue.
Thank you, fujiko.

Last edited by a moderator:
Klein's ed is kinda creppy, esp the pic with the rabbit (which provokes a bit too much reaction in me for my liking :ninja:) but I love the leopard/zoo theme.

Roversi is great as usual, I'm no fan of his but his couture eds are always beautiful :heart:

My fav pics of Nimue and Amber V eds are available in my blog; Scanned by me from italian vogue march issue.

And did you post the whole pics of klein's ed ? Coz it looks quite smaller than usual.

Roversi edit looks so beautiful. He's perfect for couture shots :heart:

review by maya/fujiko from fashion-iconography
HC SUPPLEMENT

on the cover and inside amber v ph by steven klein

THE UNEXPECTED AMBER V. 13 coloured pics of maber v ph by steven klein

THE POWER OF WHITE 15 coloured pics of nimue+3 models utm ph by roversi

+ diane kruger ph by mark seliger
+anya r ph by ellen von unwerth

also im curious about Valentino HC and Emanuel Ungaro HC ads

Its not "Hip-Hop Styling", its urban-wear/High Street Wear and not everyone wants to see Balenciaga or Lagerfeld styled in magazine's everywhere all the time, besides most of it is Louis Vuitton which is not Hip-Hop at all. Ugh, I'm done.

Julia's ed is stunning, great location- idea :woot::wink:
I'm quite disappointed of the other eds though :o:ninja:

I love Meisel's ed!! This is one of his best in the last few months in my opinion. I like the styling as well. A lot of the bags used are very early 20th century style with the boat and animal shapes etc.

I also love Julia's ed!

^ Yes, there is Beyonce shot by Tom Munro.

I got this issue today but most of the eds were disappointing to me. Not as great as last year's March or September issue. And it is even thinner than their usual 'huge' issues, but I prefer this 'cause it's easier to keep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->