W December 2016 : Barbra Streisand by Steven Meisel

It looks ok, but this is really nothing special. Her weird grimace puts me off, and that campy coverline as well. Maybe the editorial will be better. Part of my indifference may stem from the fact that I never really cared for her.

What a bad cover. W needs to take a break and find itself. I'm so lost as to where they stand and where they're heading. In the span of 3 months, we had covers that look like Interview covers, to out of this world covers, and now this.. I'm not seeing consistency.

How lovely to see her on the cover, in all her glory, being allowed to look sensual, and stunning! Great to see two Legends working together, once again.

Nevermind the magazine’s identity crisis. The photography here is ridiculous.

I get the ”the way we were" tone, but she’s either a blurry, overexposed image that looks like she was taken with a pinhole camera— or she’s retouched to such offensive means that a baby has more lines under the eyes than an elderly woman like her has. What’s the point of putting an older woman on the cover of a magazine when you reduce her age to such processed, plastic features with all the retouching????

What a bad cover. W needs to take a break and find itself. I'm so lost as to where they stand and where they're heading. In the span of 3 months, we had covers that look like Interview covers, to out of this world covers, and now this.. I'm not seeing consistency.

Absolutely agree and the new logo is AWFUL !!! Even worse than the one of the redesign with Tonchi.

Not liking this cover at all. Too much empty space. Don't like her facial expression. It's rather boring.

What a surprise!! Great!!! like vogue italia old school in the nineties!

The cover is so horrendous! But who cares?! It's Barbra!
The ed I really like.

This magazine is a wreck!

I love the idea of Barbra landing the cover! And I also love the idea of Meisel shooting it! But maybe had this been undertaken for Vogue Italia, we might have gotten different results.

There's absolutely no charm here and it's far too photoshopped, and as per usual either Tonchi, he relies solely on the star power of his subjects to do all the work for him and his team. I see no effort here creatively from anyone involved.

And to think - this used to be the magazine that did some of the most interesting celebrity covers and editorials.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cover is so empty.. I expected more from this combination.

The editorial is pretty nice though.

Isn't Barbra notorious about controlling shoots and the printed images? That could explain why they are so bad (Meisel's shoot of Jane Fonda was great)

Isn't Barbra notorious about controlling shoots and the printed images? That could explain why they are so bad (Meisel's shoot of Jane Fonda was great)

Well with all due respect to Babs, Jane Fonda is holding up much better these days.

Really? I didn't know that! That could be part of the reason. I must admit that some of these images reminded me of Harper's Bazaar's take on her with Jennifer Aniston. That classic vibe. I get that she's an icon, but the theme didn't need to be this 'iconic' in terms of photography. Maybe because Jane have a beauty contract, and has been photographed more over the years (who would've thought the public would forgive her!), she's less stringent that Streisand?

Naomi Campbell
Photographer:
Steven Klein
Stylist: Edward Enninful
Make-Up: Renee Garnes
Hair: Jimmy Paul

visualizing.fashion

Really? I didn't know that! That could be part of the reason.

Whether you like Barbra's work or not, she seems to be an interesting character, and I would recommend reading a biography to catch a glimpse of how used her talent, and the sheer power of her self-will, to become the 'Barbra' the world knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REN1099
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->