W September 2016 : Rihanna by Steven Klein

SpeakThatJDunn

Reaction score

wmagazine.com

RIHANNA: BADDEST b*tch OF THE POST-APOCALYPSE IN W'S SEPTEMBER COVER
For W's September 2016 cover, Rihanna is imagined by Edward Enninful, Steven Klein and a slew of designers, as pop's Furiosa, the last woman on earth and the ruling warrior queen in a dark, dystopian future.

Behind W’s Rihanna Remix
W magazine has enlisted i-D founder Terry Jones to art direct its ‘collectible’ September 2016 issue, featuring Rihanna recast as a Cartier-bedecked queen.

wmagazine.com

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fan-made right? RIGHT!? This cover doesn't make any sense for me...The W font feels very wannabe and the main edit is, IMO, very weak, I like Rihanna but this is not her best work; She normally exudes grace and charm. but here she looks very bland.

I feel like I've seen this editorial one thousand times already.

Special collector's issue?

Yeah because it's a one-off issue with multiple covers. Marketed as a special issue, with Terry Jones x Rihanna x Klein. They're basically just trying to make it sound more exclusive and elaborate for September :lol:

To be sure, the biggest impact of Jones’ efforts on the W project can be seen in the issue’s dual covers, featuring Rihanna photographed by Steven Klein, cast as a queen in wartime and peacetime, nodding to both the 40th anniversary of the emergence of punk and the 90th birthday of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II. At peace, she’s rendered in black-and-white. At war, the scene is in full colour, a burning sky in the backdrop with rubies encrusting her lips and liquid gold tears streaming down her left cheek. On both covers, she’s wearing a Cartier tiara with a matching choker and earrings so bold they almost look like paste jewellery. (The jewels were flown over from the UK to New York by five members of the Cartier team.) In the bottom left hand corner, a single cover line — “Rihanna Special Collector’s Issue” — has been taped on, and the W logo stenciled in right above it.

You can read the incredibly over-written article about this issue here: https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/cover-stories/w-magazine-september-issue-remix-rihanna-terry-jones

Cool..

Looks like an oyster in the eye

and Mortal Kombat too

YES :heart:

Striking and memorable the way all september issues should be, I love it.. she's such a superb model and has so much character and understanding of what she does.. probably the reason why everyone produces such great work with her.. I hope it has decent content, might get it.

(eta* the story looks awful, standard klein.. )

I think she´s perfect for this type of story. I like the styling of the first cover, very eye catching. The background looks unnecessary but the layout works with the theme.

Too much bling, she can shine perfectly without.

I only like the covers, but I'm afraid it's simply not enough to warrant a purchase for me. Rihanna x Steven Klein x W magazine = oversaturation in every sense. We've seen this mess time and time again from them. Will await the content first.

This is everything! Rihanna and Steven Klein created something spectacular, can't wait to own this issue.

Beautiful covers, and the editorial is very Mad Max, but why the new ugly W logo?!

The cover kind of reminds me of the November 2011 issue with Nicki Minaj on the cover. Could have been much better with the whole team involved, but I don't hate it

^^I think it´s just a logo for the special edition (?).

Again Rihanna??? and the ed typical of Klein nothing new

Klein ups his game for this one imo. Good Job

This is fantastic, and I am one of those who think W has been awful for a long while now!

I love it. RiRi delivers better than models today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->