W September 2016 : Rihanna by Steven Klein

Is that something the W reader wants to see? W is women's fashion. This should have run in Interview or a men's mag.

W is not the more traditional women’s magazine like Glamour or InStyle. They’d like to see themselves much more leading, high fashion and daring, so featuring Casil, a female-to-male transgender model, fits with their creative direction. I’m not fond of Tonchi's W nor do I think they’re leaders, but Casil is gorgeous and strikes such a stunning silhouette with his perfect balance of the masculine and the feminine; I can see why Meisel is so attracted to him.

I can see some similarity to Lucky, Bertrando— but he’s also in a different league than Lucky with his more imposing presence— and at the same time, prettier, angelic face. Lucky's just a typical twink.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Street Style Is All About Self-Expression'
Photographer: Craig McDean
Fashion Editor: Edward Enniful
Makeup Artist: Peter Phillips
Hair Stylist: Sam McKnight
Model/Entertainers: Alison Marie Isbell, Alix Angjeli, Allie Berman, Anja Konstantinova, Ava Hawk McDean, Issa Lish, Kendall Walters, Lexi Boling, Maria Borges, Sarah Abney, Staz Lindes &
Teale Coco

wmagazine.com
Those little photos they all have i guess are inspired by something from the magazine i-D?

^Jamie Bochert was even in Bewitched too. Odette is perfect for this ed. Too bad it looks cheap, quickly shot, and poorly conceived.

I am in love with the black and white shots! In love. However, the colored photos are so disconnected

The only frightening thing in that edit is the art direction, which in typical W fashion is incredibely poor...however Mert & Marcus "Bewitched" was IMO equally as bad and, I would dare to say, even less creative/original, nothing but a copy of Meisel's for W September 2012. I&V do not need to copy Mert or anyone, Edward the one is serious need of some fresher concepts. He already did this middle-america-horror-story for the August issue.

I love that Salem editorial! Especially the B&W pictures are haunting. It's also something different from I&V who usually don't do these kind of conceptual editorials.

I don't at all see the connection to Bewitched. That was also a great editorial but totally different, both concept and execution. Indeed it looks more like the huge M&M ed from last month.

I quite like the I&V horror story, but maybe it would have been more effective if they only stuck with one of the 2 concepts, or posted two seperate features? Each one was strong enough to stand on it's own anyway. I'm torn between the colour shots and the blurry vintage-looking ones, especially the Texas Chainsaw shot. But again it's down to W's inability to streamline their features to something more uniform. Rihanna's cover looks nothing like her edit, and now this Salem story feels like it should be two entirely different edits.

And I'm most definitely NOT a fan of Meisel's feature. No wonder it ended up a filler.

What is this thing about Bewitched... an older editorial?

It is from the March 15 issue of W Magazine as seen here.

Attitude
Photographs by Patrick Demarchelier
Styled by Giovanna Battaglia
Models: Dilone, Peyton Knight, Willy Morsch, Julie Hoomans, Leila Goldkuhl, Julia Banas and Yana Bovenistier

wmagazine.com

Review - 414 pages

Heritage
Photographed by Tim Walker
Styled by Bay Garnett
Model Stella Tennant, Jean Campbell, Isabella Cawdor
This is not a full ed, just a feature with 3 photos. With this cast, you know what it looks like and have seen it a million times before.

Gang
Photographed by Roe Ethridge
Styled by Paul Cavaco
Models Xiao Wen, Grace H, Alisa A, Molly B, Alice M, Karly L

already posted in this thread:

Identity by Steven Meisel

Self Expression by Craig McDean

Power by Inez and Vinoodh

Attitude by Patrick Demarchelier (which looks a lot like the McDean ed)

Attitude” lacks any… attitude LOL

Just resembles a cast of extras they caught at a Panic At The Disco video shoot.

I love w but I miss those amazing lifestyle articles - which used to be published with lovely illustration on the side. Now it's all about fashion eds and thats it. like a catalog, only images, no text

Last edited by a moderator:
I love w but I miss those amazing lifestyle articles - which used to be published with lovely illustration on the side. Now it's all about fashion eds and thats it. like a catalog, only images, no text

Fashion Ed's or Ad's? I don't see a problem with a magazine being filled with Editorials. That's what I'm buying it for anyways. No ads on the other hand, that's a problem.

GANG
photo: Roe Ethridge
style: Paul Cavaco
models: Xiao Wen, Grace Hartzel, Alisa Ahman, Molly Bair, Alice Metza, Karly Loyce

W digital edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->