W Magazine Volume #4 2023 by Mert Alas

Perhaps their best issue so far this year. I feel it's a moot point to say that W isn't what it used to be, when nothing in the print game is living close to its prime in the glory days. If you are however to compare this to most monthlies or regular fashion publications today, W is standing head and shoulders above it (especially Vogue). And yet at the same time I feel like you can't compare W to M Le Monde and D Reppublica, where you truly get given a real print moment now and again these days. Newspaper supplements continue to be where it's at (well some of them).

Karen's story is particularly good - you can see the mutual love between model, photographer and editor there, with Craig's passion for automobiles and Grace's passion for mid century looks in the mix. This is the first time Karen also finally looks mature to me, and I mean it as a compliment. I can understand why people might not like Tyler's editorial but I like the composition of the shots. A diverse cast might have been better but then perhaps it would look too much like a Meisel 90s rip off. Brian Molloy's styling is tasteful but forgettable though; no wonder he's a perfect match at The Row.

The designer's story is weakest for me, that kind of content can be left to US Vogue (or what used to be a previous incarnation of the magazine).

Thanks for the content as always Zorka :smilingwhalo:.

the stephen shore story is great, its like they did the art photographer thing much better than us vogue does, it was a pleasant surprise

Fantastic issue! Great selections of photographers and stylists! Haven't seen any issue of W in my country since the pandemic but I hope their paper quality is better now, because it'll be a shame if they still print their magazine on their usual paper that yellows easily.

The awkward moment when you prefer the Tyler Mitchell ed to the (Grace Coddington styled) Craig McDean ed…

Love this issue...feels like a Fashion Issue, not perfect but good enough to enjoy...

I go weak at the knees whenever Ethan James Green goes all out Meisel on us, and those studio photographs are just like something out of American Vogue during the early 00s. I saw that shot of Emily Ratajkowski on Instagram first, and immediately wanted MORE! Sat here feeling slightly robbed it's not a whole entire fashion story...

I bought the magazine today from Whsmith in London, (there was only the Liu Wen cover, my least favorite, I would have happily taken Gigi or Mona) has anyone in the UK managed to get a different cover? and for the 50th anniversary there was the one with Jung ho-yeon in circulation oh, why only asians?

Mert Alas without the other guy in the credits?? I wondering who of them is the cheesball one??
Inez should drop Vinoodho too. He makes everything look like a forever21 catalog lmao.
Now juergen teller and dovile is the new couple doing worse than juergen alone.
Its 2023, wake up!!!

as the full "Taking Flight" story from the magazine was never posted:

Taking Flight
Models: Kaia Gerber, Mona Tougaard,

Photographer: Mert Alas
Styling: Sara Moonves
Hair: Anthony Turner
Make Up: Lucia Pica
Nails: Emily Rose Lansley
Models: Gigi Hadid, Liu Wen
Styling: Marie-Amélie Sauvé
Hair: Stéphane Lancien
Make Up: Hiromi Ueda
Nails: Elsa Deslandes
Models: Anok Yai, Kendall Jenner
Styling: Marie Chaix
Hair: Benjamin Muller
Make Up: Thomas De Kluyver
Nails: Anatole Rainey

Part 1:

W Magazine Digital

overall it’s a good editorial!
very strong shots from Liu Wen as expected and surprisingly from Ms. Jenner too.
Anok and Gigi are ok being Kaia and Mona the least strong ones, but no surprises here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->