What do you think about color analysis?

xing

Reaction score
For those unsure of what colour analysis is, click here.

What are your thoughts about colour analysis? Do you think it's necessary? Do you support that women go to professionals to get their "colours" done? Is it all bull****? Are there really differences?!

I'm kinda on the fence about this. I do think that it's great that women are taking time and effort to know more about themselves and are trying to look great. It gives people who have truly no idea what they are doing wrong somewhere to start. I also agree that certain skin tones carry certain colours better than others. On the other hand, telling someone that they can only stick to certain colours if they want to look good is a little restrictive, IMO. Part of the appeal of clothes and fashion for me, is trying to see what fits you, physically and aesthetically. What if you don't like ANY of the colours that are supposed to be your colours?

My motto has always been to try everything and be critical about it. You should know if it sucks on you. (This applies to body shapes and types of clothes for body shapes.)
don't suck(physically)+ me likey(aesthetically) = good.

So, opinions on the matter?

I wear whatever I think looks good on me. There are colors I try to stay away from, like different shades of blue, nude and pastels because I feel like it rly washes me out and makes me more pale than I am. These colors look a lot better if ur tanned (which I never am lol)

But I would never go to a professional to find out what suits me or not. I know what Im comfortable with, and would feel very akward and probably a lot more critical to everything I wore and used to feel good in if I was told that the colors that I love dont look good on me anymore

I know people that are very into this.. I can't help to find it very vain and nonsense unfortunately, I'd never say it out loud but that's just how I feel about it, it's silly, like my sister for instance, comes up with all sorts of things, like wearing something orange if she's about to attempt to convince someone for something and she doesn't buy much green anymore.. and she also thinks black+brown take power off her presence.
I think she doesn't wear much blue either :unsure:.. she's been sticking to cream cause she's very pale and it just flatters her complexion and 'makes her feel more confident'.. it probably does but she'd look just as good in any other color if she'd buy the right tone/piece.

I don't know, color restriction is as boring as a garment restriction for me, like saying you're not a 'blouse' kind of person or a 'skirt' one.. I'm more of a shape/texture/size kind of believer.. :P

^That's what I mean. I think it also applies to all rules for fashion. By telling someone that they look great in certain colours only and terrible in others or they must wear this with this while doing this, it takes the objectivity away. The person no longer takes a good look at her outfit and see if it really looks good for her. They just blindly follow whatever and it limits other options that might surprisingly make them look good.

I completely agree with you MP and clemence. It all depends on texture (shiny satin or hairy knit) and whether it is a single color or part of a pattern.

My aunt who has a enviable figure has a lot of ideas about what she can wear and what she can't wear. The funny thing is that she could wear almost anything, but shopping is SO difficult for her. It is my impression that people who make such rules usually are not very into fashion - they don't see the possibilities and they can't fantasize how to style a garment so it would suit them.

^Yup, I agree with the fashion part.

But colour analysis was actually said to make your shopping easier. You can eliminate a lot of clothes at once just because they don't suit your colour and then you just work with the ones that do. Which is great for busy mums who just want to get a blouse/shirt/dress/whatever and want it to be flattering. It might also be good for people who used to wear black/white/supposed non-colours 24/7 all the time and want some baby steps to venture into colours. Which is great.

Still, I hope that they will(and they should) break out of the assigned colours and try, even if it's just in the fitting room, some of the "wrong" colours. But having words like "wrong", "unflattering", "washes you out" attached to certain colours in the first place would take away that ability to see the colours. Even if that electric blue looks good on you, you might think it doesn't because some professional say so. Not so great.:doh:

^I still think it is impossible to exclude a color for good with out paying tention to texture etc. The people I know who use it are wearing a lot of clothes which imo does not suit them well - just because it has the "right" color. And they might not buy something which would look great on them if it has the "wrong" color.

I think color analysis can be helpful, but some of the systems are overly restrictive. Having it done just for you by someone who really knows what they're doing would be ideal ... but finding that person is the trick.

If you have unusual/delicate coloring, I think that's where color analysis really comes into its own.

I have pink skin and chestnut hair, and there are certain colors (like fuchsia) that are really awful on me ... hot pink makes it look like my face is on fire and brings out every imperfection in my skin.

Purple I think looks great on redheads, but which purples vary depending on the person, so that's where having someone who really knows what they're doing would help.

Of course, if you have an eye you can see all this for yourself. But some people can't, and sometimes when you're very young you haven't got things figured out yet. That's where it would be helpful to have a mother, aunt, or older sister who understands these things :wink:

There's also the issue (I think we have a feng shui thread about this?) of which colors give you energy/sap your energy, which really doesn't have anything to do with your coloring, but can make a big difference in how you feel.

I always thought that one tends to go by instinct to the colors she/he feels more into... And im that stubborn myself :D that i don't think i will give it too much credit to any analyzer... anyway I think it could be interesting know a bit about it... although seriously there were like lil' lessons about that in a closer city I thought were a bit into fooling people... unless the expert has some kind of credit im not very into believe into the perfect match... an stylish can see that pretty well or someone with a good eye... or even some people who do really know what really brings up the best of them including colors!!

I know a woman who does color analysis, but she dresses in all black, which is a very bad color on her, so I don't really trust her opinion:lol:

I think finding colors that will be great on me very difficult. I have lots of books with different tables that are supposed to tell you which colors you suit (based on hair, skin and eye color), but I have never found my combination in any of them...:( I have red hair (almost ginger), warm brown eyes, yellow-ish skin, and I can tan (but I can't be bothered), and I freckle. I know my skin and eyes look best, and most clear, in certain bright reds, but my hair... not so much:lol:

I think knowing which colors look great on you is important if you want to invest in more expensive pieces, like a great winter coat. It would be a shame if you three months later realized that the color of the coat was very draining on you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->