What Fashion "Rules" Do You Disagree With?

:lol: I new this was going to happen...yes, I know everyone should wear what they want and feel good, etc., etc., etc. I just want to hear what specific "rules" you think are weird. A big :flower: to those who contributed specifics.

AlexN said:
:lol: I new this was going to happen...yes, I know everyone should wear what they want and feel good, etc., etc., etc. I just want to hear what specific "rules" you think are weird. A big :flower: to those who contributed specifics.

well, you know, Alex, beauty's in the eye of the beholder :rolleyes: :D

my mom has this rule (which i'm sure is an old southern proper lady rule) but your socks/stockings should always match your pants/skirt and shoes.

so, only black shoes and stockings with a black skirt.

i break this one all the time.

I had no idea that black and navy aren't supposed to be worn together...I do it sometimes and actually thinks it looks quite good :huh:

Anyways, I also disagree about not showing your bra...sometimes you can pull it off and it actually complements the outfit.

I also don't think outfits should be too matched because then it just looks too...like perfect but kind of in a bad way if ya know what I mean?

Look at the Japanese and their "street fashion"....NONE of it matches, and that's what makes them "stylish". It's actually cool now to wear pearls with a plain t-shirt. It's in style to wear heels with a pair of jeans. I'm 5'2" and wear tunic tops and such and I think it looks perfectly fine. Am I supposed to be trying to look tall? Oops--I'm okay with being short, sorry.:rolleyes:

I also forgot to mention that I rarely match my bag with my shoes, unless they both happen to be black - but not otherwise. I think it's weird...too matchy-matchy... I see it a lot here, too. (pink shoes, pink bag. white shoes, white bag. you get the idea. :P)

and yes, I'm a redhead who wears pink.

Wearing white in winter...I love winter white in winter. Just lovely :heart: !

I used to be scared of the black and brown combo. Even grey with camel was pushing it for me (oddly, my fav color combo now). But actually, I think brown and black combos can look quite lovely if done well.

I also agree with ignoring the "short people shouldn't wear ... " I'd feel really bored if I couldn't wear cropped pants, shoes with ankle straps, below the knee skirts, etc.

UNiQFashionista said:
... also, I hate when you buy/wear something, and someone says..OMG thats soo last year! whatever..! If i like it and it still fits.im going to wear it even if its soo passe to wear/carry it now!

I CAN'T DESCRIBE BAD THAT GETS TO ME!!!

-I am one who'd never heard of the "no black with navy". I love the look.

-I don't mind being short either. I wouldn't exactly call myself modest but I don't wear much of anything above my knees.

-Pink is absolutely darling on redheads. I just love it.

-If I never hear about that white after Labor Day crap again it wouldn't be too soon!

I really don't know any rules :unsure:
But I picked some up through this thread.

I wear white in whinter, black in summer. etc etc.

I don't care if shoes and bags match. I do it sometimes though :doh:

socks in open shoes can look cute

I always wear flats, eventhough they do nothing for my hight.

and I think navy and black work well together...

I'll be back when I know of more rules ^_^

I've had the navy black thing instilled in me from a young age, and I still cant quite get over it, though i think dark denim and black look good.

Erm the brown black thing I still try not to do but lately i have been wearing my brown bag with black clothes and dont think it looks too bad.

The no white in winter no black in summer I totally ignore, I wear alot of black.

I've been told matching bags and shoes is bad, and I generally agree, however I feel its acceptable with evening/occasion wear.

fab_fifties_fille said:
I've had the navy black thing instilled in me from a young age, and I still cant quite get over it, though i think dark denim and black look good.

Erm the brown black thing I still try not to do but lately i have been wearing my brown bag with black clothes and dont think it looks too bad.

The no white in winter no black in summer I totally ignore, I wear alot of black.

I've been told matching bags and shoes is bad, and I generally agree, however I feel its acceptable with evening/occasion wear.

No black in summer? That's ridiculous, I always wear black. Black is my fav color and its not like a gothic thing...I'm Indian and black looks the best on me and complements my skin tone. Really bright colors don't suit me as well..so it annoys me when ppl are like saying that in summer u should be wearing bright colors..i hate that!! u should wear whatever suits u and whatever u feel good in..i dont believe colors should be season-coordinated.

- I like red and pink together
- I like blue and green (should never be seen) together
- I like brown and black/black and navy.
- I sometimes like earrings that don't match
- Socks with open-toed shoes
- Don't think bags and shoes should match
- Like clashing prints
- Don't think you should only wear black underwear under black
- Blue eyeshadow can look good :P

strawberry love blue eyeshadow ! :heart:

i really don't follow any rules !
if i did i'd have to rethink my style. totally ! :lol:

strawberry daiquiri said:
- I like blue and green (should never be seen) together

is this a rule? I think blue and green are lovely together :blush:

I also think green and purple can be nice together, without evoking mental images of scary tv dinosaurs.

kitten heels

Erin said:
^ I, too, wear flip flops like crazy. To me, comfort sometimes overrules many things, and it's SO darn easy to just slip on a pair of basic flip flops and go. I don't wear them to clubs, but certainly to many other places during the warm months. :smile:

I love capris. I'm only 5'4, but darnit, I wear them. And I'm not super thin, but I am slender, so I sometimes wear kitten heels with them. :ninja: Sometimes you have to ignore your height issues and just freakin' wear what you want to.

Sorry I only would like to know - What does "kitten heels" mean? I havent found it in any dictionary :( Could you send a picture of it?

Thank you

I don't agree with everything matching--like purse and shoes--although I do it sometimes to tie the whole outfit together, although the shoes/purse color may not be in my clothing that day. I am big into the contrast of colors with what I wear right now.
Also, wearing white only in summer--WHY does it matter?
I take it differently when you hear, short people shouldn't wear this/that. I think of it as that style may not look as good on someone who is short. (I'm 5'3''). Certain styles can take away inches, not looking very compromising. But then again it is different for everyone and I go by what looks right.

i disagree with the rule which states that the colour of your belt must match the colour of your shoes.

I disagree with most rules, especially these:

-every woman must have the perfect little black black dress, pumps, etc. in her closet
-women must be thin to wear certain styles
-women must be young to wear certain styles
-tights have to match your shoes
-the goal in fashion is to look rich

Well, I might get beaten and disgusted at for this, but oh well... I don't think you should be disallowed from wearing an article of clothing two days in a row or twice in a week, as long as it's washed/clean... I don't think that's wrong, especially if they're one of your basics- I'm not going to buy fifteen pairs of black camisoles if I don't need to wear all fifteen at the same time... :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->