What Fashion "Rules" Do You Disagree With?

i nearly break all fashion rules when dressing up.... ^_^

rules are always boring. the best thing about them is breaking them, they say... and it is true.

i have always hated ppl who insist in combine colours all the time the way they think it is "right" which i rarely ever like!

to fight that i used to wear different items of clothing in different colours, which is something that made my mom very nervous for some reason....

these days i aint that "extreme" anymore and i even combine colours sometimes (fortunately NOT all the time). it is still a rule that gives me the creeps though...

love, Sonny xxx

I think a lot of the shoe and handbag related "rules" are fading into obscurity. For example, "no patent leather after Labor Day or before Memorial Day" and especially "no alligator, crocodile, or suede in the evening or for business dress" seem to be mostly ignored now (just look at how many people carry an alligator or crocodile handbag with a suit and how often this combination is pushed by designers/marketers) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonnytsunami said:
i have always hated ppl who insist in combine colours all the time the way they think it is "right" which i rarely ever like!
Same here. It seems like non-fashion-minded or art-oriented people think practically everything clashes. That annoys me. Unusual color combinations do not necessarily clash!!!

Some of the rules you guys have listed are very true, I don't know why you dont believe them.

(1) don't wear white in the winter. Why would you? To get your favourite white pants dirty in the puddles, salt, dirt, etc?

(2)Black slims fat people. Do this: if you have a bit of a belly, wear a white slim tshirt or top. See the tummy? Now, change into a black one. See it now? 'Nuff said.

(3)Redheads can't wear pink. I have actually never heard this, but now that I picture a redhead wearing pink, I see it. I think it would look pretty cute, but if there was another rule like that, it's not for nothing.

In my opinion, whatever your mother says should not be wasted. Look at what we wear now, sweatpants outside, etc. In our mother's days, they had to have 3 strings of pearls at all times. And now tell me, why were the 1900's the best? Everybody looked so proper, compared to now. You shouldn't say "Rules shmules," the rules are there for a reason. When you guys say "Whatever looks good on you goes." Well, ever seen anyone wear lace and paisley? They thought it looked good, but do they have any experience with fashion or style, or even any taste and style? I think not.

EDIT: Navy and black can look cute together, but brown and black will not, ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I do believe I saw lace and paisley together on the Balenciaga runway, and I'm pretty sure people are still raving about that show ...

I also think the slimming effect of black is incontrovertible. Sure, if you wear a black sausage casing, it's not going to be flattering ...

I dislike the "logos are tacky" rule. If not overdone, I think they are fine...maybe a chanel necklace or earrings....or a monogrammed bag. Now wearing a bunch of flashy logos at once is another thing altogether.

I guess the on about not mixing red and pinkle, but hy wouldn't I? Pink is a colour that is born out of red, so it can be that bad, ie it's a shade of red. I think red and pink can work anyways.

and the one about black and navy? I think it looks great!

I heard there was a rule about not mixing navy and brown...but that's just stupid, I think it can look great together

I really like black and navy together...
LOVE white in winter - reminds me of a snow (which we don't see too often here!)

I cannot get past brown and black :( but I am getting there :smile:

One rule I agree with is: no socks/pantyhose with open shoes, I cannot stand it!!!!!!! personally :cry: (unless it's peeptoe and opaque tights...)

the only 'rule' i ever go by is to co-ordinate accessories.
like i wear a pink belt, so i carry a pink bag, etc.
saying that, i never co-ordinate my clothes.

i dress 'half done' most of the time, i.e i mix looks.
like a ripped pair of jeans, and converse with a smart shirt and blazer,
or my favourite at the moment:
casual t-shirts, with an expensive, dressy skirt and heels.

im sure that goes against a few rules.

I love the rule:

Wear what you like.

Or is it a rule? It should be the one and only rule.

I usually break the belt and shoes coordination rule. If I have dark brown shoes, I'll wear a camel belt or my monogrammed Gucci. I never ever wear the monogrammed belt with the shoes. It's too much. But the worst rule I've eve hears is:
"Look at yourslef in the mirror and take off the first thing you look at."
Why?? Aren't interesting pieces supposed to catch your eye???

brown and black - it can be okay, like black tights and brown/tan boots . . .

usually its better combined on the same piece, when it can look quite rich. I have a vintage dress in a very dries van noten fabric - dark brown with black flowers. (it actually sounds disgusting when i describe it but its really quite nice)

-- The seasons dont affect what colors + bags I wear.

-- I have no problem with navy and black, but brown and black I'm kind of iffy about. I've done it before but usually I dont like it.

-- I dont like the "size of the bag should match the size of the girl" rule, I like big bags bext but I also wear smaller ones.

-- I hated the hobo trend so I never wore that, but I like the vests, skinny jeans and striped tops so I tink I'll be wearing tht pasts when it's in. I guess some trends I dont do at all and other I wear past their trend life.

Thats all I can think of now :flower:

No offense, but this thread is making me very frustrated, I must leave. I do not agree with any of the things you guys have said... Goodbye.

kween said:
No offense, but this thread is making me very frustrated, I must leave. I do not agree with any of the things you guys have said... Goodbye.
:question:

I disagree with all the rules! Fashion is supposed to be trendy and individual, and who cares if you're wearing brown and black or pink if you're a redhead as long as you look good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->