What to Wear to a Rock Concert...

Whatever floats your boat! That what rock concerts are about, I reckon.

I had no idea this thread existed either! (Considering how old some of the posts are, I'm glad it has been resurrected.) :heart:

theleatherette, I went to Coachella this year and 2005. I always laugh when I see girls teetering around on the polo field in their Louboutins holding on to their bf's. I agree, it's fascinating seeing what people wear in 100 degree temperatures.

As has been mentioned, what to wear depends on the concert. If it's in a gorgeous old theatre and the seats are reserved, you can wear whatever you want. If it's general admission and you'll be standing for hours and hours, that's a different story.

For a moshpit/standing show, I think toe protection is crucial. Do not wear any kind of sandal or flip flop as some 300 pound guy WILL step on your feet. I have a few pairs of "gig shoes" - big rubber platform heels (so I can see), really comfortable, and I don't care if they get beat up. I never carry a handbag that I have to hold or wear on my arm or shoulder. I have a small one with a long strap I wear like a little messenger bag.

Personally, I think it's uncool to wear a t-shirt from the band you are seeing to the gig unless it's a really special one. If you see the Flaming Lips and you have a vintage shirt from the 1980's or a one-of-a-kind shirt, I think that's ok. :P

Follow what this girl says, she's a clever one!

Gigging has changed over my lifetime. From my first one in 1992 to now, the uniform has become very different. When I was a kid it was baggy jeans/shorts, a baggy band t shirt (although never the band you were seeing, that was pretty sad to do) and combat boots or DM's. These days it depends on the kind of place you're going. In central london, there are different types of gigs, some you'll go to and the fashionistas won't dance, the miserable gits, they'll just be standing around in their vintage dresses waiting for someone to take a photo. If you go to an electro gig, people are dressed brilliantly generally, and will dance their bums off, but if you go to a proper gig that doesn't involve a club directly afterwards, say, if you're going to see the beastie boys or someone, you should dress for comfort and for jumping up and down. My personal uniform for that is a short denim mini or all saints skirt of some description, a loose off the shoulder t shirt, sometimes cut myself out of a band t shirt, and a vintage sweatshirt with cutesy socks and knackered out trainers or DM's. Make up should be minimal, otherwise you'll end up with it all over your face from sweating.

Wear something comfortable, something you can move in and something you won't be scared to spill stuff on :lol:

Help dress me!!!

I am going to a concert in two weeks and afterwards I get to hang out with Adrian Grenier from Entourage...so I don't want to look too dressy, but I can't for the life of me come up with anything!

Just some background info and things you could work with:
i'm 5'4", slender
i have cute Anlo trouser jeans, Marc Jacobs dark washed skinny jeans, Black skinny jeans, and also cute Rock & Republic bootcuts

so i guess i need help finding a skirt, shirt, dress, accessories...any help would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow what this girl says, she's a clever one!

Ahhh, so sweet! Your suggestions are so fantastic as well! :heart:

OK, I think I'm going to go to Coachella this year. Like every year, it will be HOT.

Usually I wear a Summer dress of some sort with clompy shoes (for height and safety). I also bring a hat for sun protection and a wrap/sweater for when it gets cooler at night. I did wear jeans one year and one year I carried a cute parasol.

Any other suggestions? What could I be wearing instead? (OK, maybe an air-conditioned spaceman suit?) Coachella is a bit more about comfort than style when it is that hot. Being able to walk to the various stages in the grass is pretty important! :D

i think a pair of flat hardy boots (i like docs but whatever suits you) + any clothing that will look better dirty and messed up. a loose t-shirt always works, but never the same band you are seeing!

im going to a rock concert on friday, im so excited! i havent been to a live show in so, so long and cant wait to see the band. as for what im wearing, still have no idea, but i am decided on one thing so far, a leather skirt with gold studs, hurrah. now i just need the figure out the rest of the outfit haha. thanks for this thread guys too, its been useful! :flower:

Whatever you do dont dress exactly like the band its ok to be the same style but copy cats are just bad. For example going to a Yeah Yeah Yeahs show is like going to a Karen O clone fest.

i suggest nothing too expensive or none of your favourite pieces of clothing :wink:
could happen that sb burns your shirt with a cigarette or spills bear or any other drink :unsure:
it happend to me once that sb threw a glass of beer in the crowd and it landed on my head :doh:
and like cygnenoir said. protect your toes :wink:

ok this can sound stupid but ear protectors...(there are some colorful ones that even can seem funny to wear, no kidding...as they can be also seen).

As clothing something casual and easy to wear... i mean trousers or shorts,... i wouldn't suggest white although i did a couple of times working at shooting bands and they became... really dirt afterwards... hahah

Your feet as in every crowed place is the most important part...so i would suggest close and comfort ones...preferably oldies...and ones that if someone try to push you or something u will be able to kick him/her back...(some gigs are accidentally rude)

this is an example i did wear at a the cult gig in Benidorm (Alicante) Spain
1149747765_f.jpg

Lolita tshirt, skirt with leggings, chuck old boots and a bag what i can close well and a jacket for later that can fit in the bag. Well im an obsessed of scarfs so i got one too...and sunglasses although there were not much sun then....

for summer i would suggest shorts
for winter/not so warm seasons comfy jeans

I am going totally deaf, which probably started from going to three gigs a week from 92 to 98, and then becoming a full time dj I am properly suffering now. However, I can't bear earplugs, I have to hear every little bit of the music I'm playing/listening to. I'll regret it no doubt, but deafness does come with the job description.

As for what to wear, I have to be honest, no one gives a toss at a concert unless you're going to a small gig. It'll be really dark, everyone will be looking at the band and you'll get sweaty and stained. DM's, loose t shirt, short denim mini and leggings so you don't lose your dignity if your skirt comes up and lashings of mascara. Honestly, musicland is fashion obsessed these days, but not at big concerts, everyone comes ambling out looking really drab!

Nice thread ^_^
I went to a tiny gig the other week for a local band. I wore a checked blue ralph lauren shirt from the 90s which my dad gave me, denim shorts and tights. It was so, so hot and I'm glad I wore a big baggy shirt cos god knows what I would have been like in a t-shirt.

I'm going to see Kasabian in July, haven't got a clue what to wear cos we're going to make a day of it in London, stay at my nans and go shopping the next day. But hey I have plenty of time to get that sorted

Kasabian? they're indie chav heaven, so I think girls will be dressed in your average indie uniform. Nothing particularly daring, I'd not worry if you're going to see them about what you're wearing at all, you're bound to look cooler than most of the people there!

Indie chav heaven? Haha too true! But I do love them :smile:

Hehe! I did think after I posted that that it could have come across badly. I don't like them personally, but I can see how they're lots of fun to have a dance to and I'm sure the gig will be brilliant. One of them propositioned me for sex about five years ago, cheeky swine, I said no, obviously.

Hehe! I did think after I posted that that it could have come across badly. I don't like them personally, but I can see how they're lots of fun to have a dance to and I'm sure the gig will be brilliant. One of them propositioned me for sex about five years ago, cheeky swine, I said no, obviously.

Yeah I can understand why you don't like them. I just love the audience atmosphere and everything, like after they've finished the crowd will literally carry on singing LSF till they get home, what a fan base :shock:

Haha! Which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->