What to wear to prom or homecoming

Stargirl, I was thinking black as well ... you could also go with a lighter version of the shoe color. Do you remember the Bottega ad from fall before last I think it was? (There are scans of it around here if you don't ... Light coral dress with russet shoes--but they looked like a deeper coral in the picture. It was quite lovely.)

Ahh, my prom is only two weeks away and I still haven't found a dress! :(
I'm looking for something grecian-like, ivory/white, braided maybe, knee-length etc... but I can't seem to find anything. I'd really like a version of this dress Nicole Richie wore, but shorter... but I can't seem to find anything! It doesn't have to be EXACTLY like it, but it's just my inspiration... could you ladies help me find my dream prom dress? :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
This afternoon I was shopping gowns/cocktail dresses and shoes.
You know, I'm in 7th grade and every school year the 7th graders organise the anual school prom, so this year it's our turn. We chose "Viva Las Vegas" to be our theme for the prom and, well, the prom's this Saturday. Only two more days to go!
Due to all the studies I had to do over the past weeks/days, I hadn't had the time to go shopping for a dress until this afternoon.
Unfortunately, today I didn't have as much time as I'd have hoped for - but then again, you can never have enough time for shopping! :lol: - and since I had to fit the dresses I liked on, too, I had to kinda hurry through the shops.
In the end, I wound up with a VERY hard choice to make!
For months I had been keeping on telling myself that I'd wear a 60s style cocktail dress with polka dots for this prom!
I love the 60s, and well, most of the dresses in the shops are in that 50s or 60s style. It's very much "en vogue" and I love it! Since the prom and ball season is almost over, however, it was clear to me that they might not have this huge selection of dresses they still had 3 months ago anymore. And, just as I had expected, that special 60s dress with the polka dots I saw some months ago was sold out today, along with many others I liked a lot when I went through the shops at the beginning of this year.

I then found a cocktail dress that was of a light black cloth, I think it's chiffon, with a layer of white cloth underneath it, so the white is kinda visible through the black cloth (which has flower ornaments in it). I like it a lot, and I like how it moves when I'm spinning around, which is very useful when dancing. :lol:
I was almost certain I was going to take this one!
But the my mom and I detected another dress that HAS GOT polka dots and is VERY much 60s style (even more than the chiffon one), too and I loved it! It doesn't move as nicely as the chiffon one, but it's black, too, with those great red and white polka dots and it immediately came to my mind that this would look superb and quite Brigitte Bardot-like :lol: If I wore red pumps and put on red lipstick with it and take a red clutch with me (of the same red as the dots on the dress, of course)!
So, my mom and I went on the look-out for red pumps, but couldn't find fitting ones anywhere!
We didn't have much time, left, though, cause out train was leaving soon and it's the last train we could take today, so we had to be at the train station.
Well, I ended up going all the way back to the shop with the dresses and I tried on those two dresses again and just couldn't decide! There just was no way I could ever have decided between those two forgeous dresses at that moment!
However, i'm certain that I only want to wear the polka dots dress If I can wear red pumps with it, cause with black pumps it'll look "too nice!´". :lol: :wink:
So, since we hadn't found those shoes, I made a deal and said, okay, I'll take the black/white chiffon dress, but the polka dots dress will be stored for me at that shop until tomorrow evening. So, this night I can sleep over it and make up my mind as to which of the two dresses I really want to wear most, and on saturday morning I'll go shopping for the appropriate shoes to wear with the chosen dress.
Cause I don't wanna wear the black/white chiffon dress with red pumps, so before buying the shoes I gotta know for sure which dress it's gonna be.
So far, I really have no idea which one to take!! :blink: :huh: If I end up deciding for the polka dots one, I'll go that shop again tomorrow and exchange it.
Ai ai ai, why do I always have to be so complicated with things concerning shoes and outfits for special events? :lol:

Well, what do you guys think? Both dresses are cocktail dresses in 60s style, but the one with the polka dots is more 60s then the other one!

Black dress with red and white dots along with red lipstick, red clutch and red pumps?
Or the dress with the white layer shining through the more transparent black layer (that one's a more fluffy dress, btw, it's kinda "lighter") along with either black pumps or black high heels?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!

Any ideas or inspiration for a dress to go with these babies? They're actually a darker reddish pink. I've got black hair and blue eyes and NO ideas for my formal! I'm gonna make my dress so I better get started soon; any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated!

Effing fantastic shoes! Who are they buy/where'd you find them? Anyway I agree with the Bottega Veneta route if you want something more feminine. Either the colors from the Spring/Summer 2009 collection: corals, muted blues, slate, off-whites, champagne, and olive or from the Spring/Summer 2007 Collection: plums and mauves! And then there's the Spring 2008 RTW collection with its severely muted earth tones. It has so many gems:

bveneta00410m.jpg
bveneta00420m.jpg

bveneta00360m.jpg
bveneta00010m.jpg

Of course only go the champagne route if it suits your skin tone. Otherwise, black is a safe choice. And I don't know your personal style, but I like a feminine without being frilly look with those shoes. But they are sooo versatile!

Source: style.com

like cajolery, my prom is in 2 weeks also! i have been looking for this dress ashley olsen wore at the costume gala met last year, and i am absolutely in awe of it..
can anyone find similar dresses?? thanks so much. :wub: :heart:
Filename0075.jpg

Filename0017.jpg

Would you still wear high heels to the prom if you are already 5'10 (178cm) tall? Would you wear long dresses, mini, or knee length? I am pear shaped.

^^I'm 180cm and I had high heels. Really high. :innocent:

I think you should go high as well. I think it looks fantastic.

Hey, I'm wonderin if this combination is too much

032047191_1.png

fsfs011.jpg

please give me your opinion:blush:
credit:Jane Norman

i don't actually have a prom but my boyfriend does but we're not going hah we were going to but now we're not... anyway this is what i would wear... its supposed to be a maxi dress i guess and it was on sale for $10 :innocent:
but i like it and i could always wear it as a summer dress or something.
^_^

Help me decide my prom outfit.

1322143.JPG

1322146.JPG

1322145.JPG

1322144.JPG

Do I wear both a ring and a necklace? What do you think of the clutch? If you can, what makeup would you wear?

Your advice is appreciated, prom is the coming Friday.

I really like the dress and shoes. I'm just not so sure on the hat.
imho I think it's to wedding, rather than prom :flower:

The pictures do work for me.

Couture; i would personally lose the hat, and use the ring instead of the necklace, and i really like the clutch.

i think the hat is more of a personal decision, it may not work for everyone but its sort of a personal statement, me i wouldnt use it but thats just me, style-wise i would loose the necklace, the ring is ok. have fun!

It's not my personal taste too,but I wouldn't were the hat nor the ring,maybe just necklece with it,tough I think it would look nice if you don't wear it too,and just to have a simple dress and shoes.

As for the make up,I don't know what is the colour of your hair and what kind of skin tan you have,but I think something with purple would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyczh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->