Who Is The Greatest Fashion Designer?

It has to be Chanel. In my opinion, her designs and her beliefs behind them are the only ones that not only changed the way women dressed then but are also the only ideas that still form the way women dress now. There is such a strong sense of power in her simple lines...how extraordinary.

what a list... i could never choose...i love them all... :heart:

I know, this is a very hard poll. :unsure:

Though, I will have to go with Balenciaga. :heart: I like his clothes the most, probably, out of all and all his other contemporaries respected him immensly. To quote Christian Dior ".. the master of us all." :wink:

Thanks, by the way, to Lena for mouth-watering posts that bordered on the divine. :kiss:

You are most welcome igni :heart:

Personally -and with all respect to the other big names- i'm finally voting for Mme Vionnet.
Balenciaga is the great master of 'modern style' but Vionnet brought in a Fortuny-like poetry.

With all respects to mlle Chanel, who may be qualified as fashion's biggest star of all times, her actual 'designs' never did much to me (apart from her revolutionary take on menswear etc) her 'architecture' was quite basic, but had an enormous amount of cleverness and true style.
As for Poiret -another big favourite of mine- he was more a dreamer than a designer for everyday life (which i also find very fascinating)

you are very welcome regarding the Balenciaga pictures igni, this topic gave me a good reason to dive in archives.. it can be quite refreshing at times (and it sure shows the 'handicaps' of todays designers :cry: )

they are all great designers and it's really hard to rank them! Each desinger possesses different skills and personalities!

I must vote for Yves SaintLaurent he is without question the greatest designer of the 20th century. I would have to put Christian Dior in second, Giorgio Armani third, and Coco Chanel some where down the line.

for menswear, donatella is on her own level.........below her, prada, ysl, dior, some gucci

dl

It has to be Balenciaga. His work was amazing. He made beautiful clothing, real jaw dropping, European royalty wearing, fabulous clothing. Chanel was wonderful too, but while her clothing was elegant and darling, I wouldn't say that it was the best ever designed. People tend to jump to that conclusion because it is the most popular today.

As a side note, I really don't like the modern Balenciaga stuff, it has become just another fashion house, which it didn't used to be. Even though I was taunted into buying a large moto bag, it still does not have the same feel that Cristobal had.

Originally posted by MJCouture@Mar 19th, 2004 - 9:00 pm
It has to be Balenciaga. His work was amazing. He made beautiful clothing, real jaw dropping, European royalty wearing, fabulous clothing. Chanel was wonderful too, but while her clothing was elegant and darling, I wouldn't say that it was the best ever designed. People tend to jump to that conclusion because it is the most popular today.

As a side note, I really don't like the modern Balenciaga stuff, it has become just another fashion house, which it didn't used to be. Even though I was taunted into buying a large moto bag, it still does not have the same feel that Cristobal had.
That's why it has the most votes in this poll. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ignitioned32+Mar 19th, 2004 - 9:58 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ Mar 19th, 2004 - 9:58 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MJCouture@Mar 19th, 2004 - 9:00 pm

That's why it has the most votes in this poll. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
yup :mohawk:

I think it's because her clothing revolutionized the way many women dress today, not just those who wear her label. Balenciaga undoubtedly created some gorgeous clothing, as several designers have. But what's the lasting impact?

Originally posted by tealady@Mar 19th, 2004 - 10:40 pm
I think it's because her clothing revolutionized the way many women dress today, not just those who wear her label. Balenciaga undoubtedly created some gorgeous clothing, as several designers have. But what's the lasting impact?
You have a very strong point there. I might rethink my answer now that I reread the question, and your post. What is greatness? Is it simply having talent and fabulousness flowing through your blood or is it the ability to create something that will not be forgotten ever? The question is rather hard to answer. I would love to believe that talent has more to do with greatness than longevity (cause lets be honest, some not so great things have had that) , but I guess in a world where everything is always changing, greatness is to see something that stays the same.

I'm not going to say Jeanne Lanvin, but I have a "coffee table" book of women, and their allure. There was an original sketch of a Lanvin coat from the early twenties, floor length, sweeping train, embroidery, fur trim.....gorgeous. There was also a photo by Man Ray of a woman in a fur coat of a similar look, long, lean, dramatic. While I'm not very familiar with her work, I have liked what I have seen of it.

This is the hardest question/decision I've had ... I mean on the top of my head I can pick Chanel/Dior/Vionnet ... but just one ... the longevity issue raised a couple of posts ago has a very strong point ... McQueen (and many designers) have stated that what they create has to be timeless ... something that can be worn 50 years ago and 50 years in the future is not easy to pull ... we see it today with the Chanel stuff ... what I liked the most about her is bringing class and sportswear to her designs. On Dior, well ... he did his new look revolution ... and I'm amazed of the feminity and detail on his pieces ... Vionnet's got the timeless thingie ... I mean ... an average person would go like "But that dress seems like of a greek goddess" and it's perfectly wearable and up-to-date ... another thing that made her unique (well ... others did it ..but AFTER her) is how she designed directly on dolls (and not sketches) ... she thought 3D, and the results are amazing!
OK ... now ... about contemporary designers ... well... y'all know I love McQueen ... but he's a master cutter, and because he's so commited to his high-standards and struggle for his freedom designing ... he's got my vote!

balenciaga, the man is the courtier supreme

besides, lil miss coco gets minus points for nazi collaboration.

Originally posted by ignitioned32+Mar 19th, 2004 - 9:58 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ Mar 19th, 2004 - 9:58 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MJCouture@Mar 19th, 2004 - 9:00 pm

That's why it has the most votes in this poll. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
agreed

Originally posted by tealady@Mar 19th, 2004 - 10:40 pm
Her impact is due to her clothe's mainstream accesibility. Cristobal, on the other hand, was avant-garde during his time and experimental. So its no surprise it did'nt have much impact except to real fashionistas at that time.

Originally posted by eguana@Mar 12th, 2004 - 7:36 am
I voted for other but i may just have to go with YSL!Hes a master!!

1881616983.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

3512263.jpg
ahh we agree, but I think spacemiu said something important, it is hard to choose just one all were greats in their own right. :flower:

I would have to say Valentino...I think his clothes are very versatile and wearable...He can do sexy and then he can turn around and do sweet, or ladylike- I love it :heart:

00003.L.JPG

00095.L.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->