Why Is The Fashion Industry In The State That It's In Today?

if fashion is for white Europeans only, shouldn’t they have their factories in Europe only, too and only employ native Europeans (not immigrants or migrants)
Nobody said it’s for white Europeans, I said it’s for the rich, and we are also saying high fashion was originated in Europe, so it’s normal that people working in the industry in Europe are mainly white and that the beauty ideal in European brands is more “whitish”.

If it originated in Africa, I’d totally get it would be the other way around, like it is with the African brands.

Globalization is another whole topic. Tbh, I don’t have yet a super strong opinion on it, but I think in terms of production is more negative than positive, so I’d say it would be better to produce everything where the brand is located (less eco impact as well), but my opinion on this topic is not very… strong.

Idk why. I didn’t say idiotic at all. Actually, it would be ok if the designer would geniunely like a white model. The thing is that in European brands, they cast black people just to not get cancelled. There’s a quota and to me that’s completely wrong.

Anyways, imagine a white person saying what you said about a black person in a European fashion show 🫣
I agree with that. But you’re talking about Lago’s fashion week… something you had to look up… something that doesn’t exist in the larger context of fashion. I assume that most the garments shown during fashion week in Africa rely on their traditions and customs. Africans aren’t appropriating from other cultures or ethnicities for fashion like Europeans do 😉 Besides a kilt, enlighten me on traditional Parisian, Milanese, or English garments that constitutes a POC to not be cast in a runway show?

I’d also like @San Marco take on this

I agree with that. But you’re talking about Lago’s fashion week… something you had to look up… something that doesn’t exist in the larger context of fashion. I assume that most the garments shown during fashion week in Africa rely on their traditions and customs. Africans aren’t appropriating from other cultures or ethnicities for fashion like Europeans do 😉 Besides a kilt, enlighten me on traditional Parisian, Milanese, or English garments that constitutes a POC to not be cast in a runway show?

I’d also like @San Marco take on this
Actually, I'm a bit amazed with the freedom with which racism and smigness radiates from you, so I need a bit to collect myself, and maybe in a couple of weeks when I have a vacation, I'll come back again and write a few more sentences about the inexhaustible tfs-topic called diversity.
Thanks for this direct inclusion, I certainly didn't count on it (hehe) and I hope the smileys didn't disturb too much.

I wanted to reframe my whole thoughts about Haute Couture.

Haute couture is distinctly french and is from Louis 14. there are distinctly french and italian manufacturing styles. if you dont know them then you dont know upper level fashion.

Moving on, clothing is not just about plaid and kilts. As I said before - the manufacture is a lot of the signature of an item. A French made LV Homme blazer has that tight french construction with fine seams and just absolutement precision. Dolce I get much more developed seamingg because theyre thinking you may resize the garment. LV is not because that is just French and Italian ways of clothes making...

this helps inform why galliano is so important for example... france has had a long relationship with Drape - more so than English or Italian - so gallianos expansion of that through bias is a perfect pairing, Galliano developing French codes.

the african pieces ive seen look like really bad galliano by dior. done in the wrong fabrics and poorly fitted. everything has a princess seam despite it never been executed exceptionally well. the worst parts is the use of non stretch cottons.

It’s a very complicated and perhaps impossible concept - but if it existed and worked before, I can’t imagine why it hypothetically couldn’t work again…not in an identical way, but in whatever way was appropriate for the “now.”

Where it would go in 20-30 years? Who could say. Would it inevitably wind up again right back where we are now? Possibly? Even so - would a reset be the worst thing?

I think the industry has reached a moment where it has to decide if it wants to be about fashion or about entertainment. There was a time - late 90’s/early 00’s - where the two worlds met and it was electric…but entertainment has eaten fashion whole. I look at the shows now and it almost doesn’t even register as design anymore…just another marketing event. And I don’t think it can continue on that way for much longer.
I'm in an agreement that it needs a reset. I think thats why I'm into the 90s/00's because of fashion meeting entertainment. It was new and exciting but its now overdone. A reset is needed.

What I mean is, I don't see the conglomerates at any point ever saying "hey guys, let's maybe calm things down a bit — we'll stop doing mega shows, we'll stop giving tones of money to Vogue etc. so that we no longer have total look editorials, we'll stop making endless content for social media, we'll halt all plans for turning the maisons into holistic lifestyle brands with cafes, resorts, museums etc.". Their modus operandi of exponential growth is what is killing the industry. In all honestly I don't think anything will or can replace it.
Perharps the only thing that can actually change are consumer standards — a return to niche brands with
Well I think a return to niche brands is the only natural progression. Its the same way with how most of us consume entertainment now. Everything is so fragmented. Fashion is going to be impacted by this plus with the economy too, many of us will return to niche brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    morbach
    Back
    monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
    <-- Admiral -->