Working in Paris

Thanks Carioca for the book suggestion.

But (just to get back to my original question :P), I'm more interested in how to find an entry level job in fashion in Paris, with little experience and a non-fashion background. Is it possible? If so, how do I go about it? Are there internship programs in mags in Paris like in the US? Thanks.

to work in France is very hard... people don't let the chance as easy as in US... anyway to work in fashion you have/must knock the doors until one opens... and maybe you could prepare this from the US...

what's your experience??? you don't care about your background... of course it's always better... but since you love fashion they'll see you are good for the job!!!

You have to do a resume and a "lettre de motivation" (i'm so bad doing this that I never do it and I get jobs but... a lettre de motivation is a letter where you explain why you want to work there, why you would be good for the job etc. don't know how it is named in US), write to every magazines (even if it's not Vogue or Elle... you don't care!!!)
and of course there's the "luck" factor... if they need someone they'll take you... if they don't need, they won't....
I know there's a website for fashion jobs in France... but I cannot remember it... browse google, you'll find! but it's more for jobs in shops and fashion Houses...

the intership system in France is, I think... well you have to be in an university to get an intership...because of the insurances etc. it cannot be done like that...
so maybe you can do it with your american university....

but I think your question belongs to the "how to be a fashion stylist", non?
even though it's a Paris oriented question...

Last edited by a moderator:
i've found,that there is a serious problem in america. while everybody complains how much americans tend to disregard other cultures,we only have to look at our system and our lack of access to languages and cultural avenues as a whole. we have to remember not everyone that visits paris are from large metropolis' with money like in nyc or la or boston et al so these oppurtunities to learn french aren't as widely available for alot people. of course,i am very certain there are those morons(probably those who still feel bush is great pres.. :lol: )that think everybody in the world is supposed to speak english when they are present. but you also have to consider the arrogance(which i think is much more rife than in france) of our governments and the incompetence of our education systems which completely ignore these oppurtunities that we should have.

You have to do a resume and a "lettre de motivation" (i'm so bad doing this that I never do it and I get jobs but... a lettre de motivation is a letter where you explain why you want to work there, why you would be good for the job etc. don't know how it is named in US), write to every magazines (even if it's not Vogue or Elle... you don't care!!!)

it's called a cover letter in english. berlin rocks's advice sounds about right. i especially agree about doing as much as possible in the us before coming to paris. while you're home, stay motived and put as much effort into searching for a job as you can. and of course, you must continue to practice your french of course. it will take time and hard work, but you will be the better for it. while the transition to paris is quite a challenge, it is certainly a worth while one. the magazine industry is extremely competitive, so you might even want to start a bit smaller. it may be easier to get an internship at a fashion house (make a list of your favorites, and start faxing cover letters and resumes). if you do a few months there (or longer if you get hired full-time), you might find it easier to gain entry into the magazine world. you would probably have quite a bit of interaction with them anyway (PR, in particular). if you're interested in styling, you could also start by trying to work as an assistant to someone based in paris. again, make a list of stylists and/or their agencies, and start faxing over your information.

Thanks for the info. Are internships unpaid? I definitely would need a paying job. . .I'm going to start working on that cover letter. Should I include samples of work i.e. drawings (for a design internship) or articles (for a mag internship)?

Internships are usually unpaid. There's a thread about internships here ... it will give you a better idea of what they are looking for in an intern.

I don't think that they are usually interested in your creative work, since you won't be doing any of that in an internship ... it's low level clerical/ running errands/answering phone ... that sort of stuff. They would be interested in your ability to work hard and stay commited, so excellent references from former employers/mentors etc. would be more helpful than a portfolio.

However, if you already have experience working for a fashion house or fashion magazine in the US, that might be enough to land you a paid job, without interning first. It's just that is is a lot harder, being American and trying to work in Paris, experienced or not, fluent in French or not. A few magage to pull it off ... so it's possible.

this is just a quick insight of working (pt or ft) in Paris in the Fashion Houses... if you're American-- they will take without questions of any design or art background, a junior level with excellent academic grades, fluent in multibilingual especially French... added bonus Ivy League background and have studied in Sorbonne -- Ralph Lauren Paris, YSL among the Couture Houses. For design, I think they would take first consideration their own people from a design school. But mostly they will take a college student who they can put in any level. I know for one a college student from USA with excellent academic resume under his belt with no knowledge of fashion who got a job at Ralph Lauren Paris while taking courses in Sorbonne and is now basking in the glory of models and parties both in Paris and NY. LOL. Had to ground him back to earth a few times.

Thank God this thread id here. I'm planning to move to Paris in 2 years (i'm from NYC) and I'm always wondering about the whole work issue. So is it less of a pain to try to get a job in a fashion house without papers? Or should you secure something before you arrive? Do they do sponsorship for visa and work permits?

The living situation, I know you should be doing a lot of research and try to lockdown a place before you arrive (i lived in London for a year, and got LUCKY), how would you go about setting that up? Do you make appointments during the time you're arriving? Do you secure one before you arrive?

I'm thinking through my streets smarts about these issues.

So if you need a letter from your employer to get an apartment, where do you stay when you're looking for a job?

So if you need a letter from your employer to get an apartment, where do you stay when you're looking for a job?

a hotel. if you're tight on cash, find a nice french friend to take you in as you job hunt

this is just a quick insight of working (pt or ft) in Paris in the Fashion Houses... if you're American-- they will take without questions of any design or art background, a junior level with excellent academic grades, fluent in multibilingual especially French... added bonus Ivy League background and have studied in Sorbonne -- Ralph Lauren Paris, YSL among the Couture Houses. For design, I think they would take first consideration their own people from a design school. But mostly they will take a college student who they can put in any level. I know for one a college student from USA with excellent academic resume under his belt with no knowledge of fashion who got a job at Ralph Lauren Paris while taking courses in Sorbonne and is now basking in the glory of models and parties both in Paris and NY. LOL. Had to ground him back to earth a few times.

Hmm, this sounds excellent :lol:.

I was wondering since i'm thinking of doing an exchange the year after this upcoming school year to Paris, and it seems by the looks of it that it will be at Sorbonne or Sciences Po. For a student from a better Canadian university without any sort of fashion background (ie schooling), how possible is it for someone with this background to land a small PT job at any of the fashion houses, whether it be French based or American based? Would my fluency in English be a big help? Also if not PT during the school year, what about in a summer position before returning home?

so what are the regulations for people that are working freelance? we've touched on the other area's but freelance i've been curious about. is it anything like germany? i spoke to a german consul and he told me that you need proof of health insurance papers,a police report from the town you're from and a bank statement(i.e. proof of finances)and immediately go to whatever city's(in my case berlin) local aliens office upon my arrival. in my own work,i have to keep my options open because i've got a travelling event that i'm developing and curating,and paris is where i'd like to begin firstly.

about the payment of internships in France : now it's paid... they must pay you... but at 350€ a month!!!! as a studio (25m²) in Paris is 600-700€ + everything around i.e food, drinks etc. you'll need some money from your parents or ex-jobs....

about working in Fashion Houses, I don't know that much but you have to talk FRENCH and English wherever you go!!! Do not forget you work in France (or other languages... it depends on your area in the House - press etc. I know there're a lot of japanese, americans etc. in Fashion Houses in the "ateliers" or doing the Art Director job :wink: ) and then all depends on your meeting with the people in charge of you...

> to yourbestfriend
Sciences Po
is a very good school!!! it's what we call "Les Grandes Ecoles"...
about La Sorbonne, please people calm down... it's just a normal university... it's def. not Yale or Harvard or Cambridge or Oxford... it's just the university of Paris! that's it!!! it can be very good as it can normal... it all depends what you're doing...

And in what subject "Sorbonne" is more/ better then a usual university?

Thanks Berlin, you're always helpful! As long as my French is strong enough by the beginning of 2009, I should be able to go for a semester or two, and hopefully spend the summer in Paris and travelling Europe. When looking for a place to rent in Paris, are most of the places under "lease" for a certain term, or do alot of the rental accomadations allow you to rent from month to month for as long as you may need the place for?

you do need to be impeccably fluent in french to be considered. i only mentioned sorbonne because the person i spoke of took classes for 2 yrs there. he's also a brilliant writer with an exceptional academic grades. he was given 2 different job applications from the university, that being Ralph Lauren Paris the other an interpreter for The Consulate. And you already know which one he chose without knowing what the hell it is. :lol:

Also.. Sorbonne is known if i'm not mistakened for their major in languages. That's why this person i spoke of, chose to go there for his exchange program.

Hmm, this sounds excellent :lol:.

I was wondering since i'm thinking of doing an exchange the year after this upcoming school year to Paris, and it seems by the looks of it that it will be at Sorbonne or Sciences Po. For a student from a better Canadian university without any sort of fashion background (ie schooling), how possible is it for someone with this background to land a small PT job at any of the fashion houses, whether it be French based or American based? Would my fluency in English be a big help? Also if not PT during the school year, what about in a summer position before returning home?

How does someone with a background in fashion apply for a job in Paris? Can I send my portfolio or what?

I'm thinking about just studying at the Sorbonne for a sememster taking maybe French or Art. Would I be eligible to work as a visiting student? If not, I better start saving now. :rolleyes: If that didn't work out, maybe doing an even shorter crash course in French for a few weeks.

The ULTIMATE would be an internship for a french fashion mag. . .

I'm thinking about just studying at the Sorbonne for a sememster taking maybe French or Art. Would I be eligible to work as a visiting student?

do you know if Sorbonne has any affiliations with universities in your state, because sometimes they do those exchange programs for a semester or an entire year. that's what a lot of people i know have done, but not specifically at Sorbonne. if not Sorbonne, there's always the American University of Paris, but i'm not sure what kind of a uni you'd like to attend. when you do the exchange program, they usually set you up with a free host family and all you need to do is pay for your meals and laundry expenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianarimar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->